Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Stevensondrive

Generator question: Champion vs Black Max

I am looking at a couple different generators at Sams Club

3600 watts 100 pounds
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/blackm...lp:product:1:1

7000 watts 200 pounds
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/blackm...lp:product:1:2

Then there are multiple Champion models available. So many options it's confusing lol

The 3600 would be perfect for the camper but the 7000 would work as a home backup generator. Reviews are stellar for both models. Yes they are noisier Hondas but that's not important. The 7000 has a Honda motor.

Just curious if you gents have any experience with these.....

Thanks
Stevensondrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
B-O-B'03

Those are contractor grade generators, they will be much louder than any of the inverter types, regardless of manufacturer and the power they put out is not as clean, which can be harmful to electronic devices.

You did not mention what trailer you have or what the expected load will be, so it is hard to tell how large a generator you will need.

I have a Champion, 3100 Watt inverter generator and it will start/run my 15K BTU AC unit as well as a few other things in the coach, like the converter, inside and outside fridges and TV.

If I want to run the microwave or other high draw items, I have to turn the AC off.

I have also used it, during power outages, to keep the home fridges, freezer and cable TV boxes running... did not want to miss any of my recorded shows

Welcome to the forum.

-Brian
Old 09-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #3
Stevensondrive

I want a generator to power my 2670BH Keystone Passport RV and be a backup for the house. Camper has a 12.5kw ac unit. House has a gas furnace and a couple fridges I'd like to be able to run.

So the camper doesn't need much. Honestly if I need to run the AC I probably won't camp. Lol

I thought those generators were clean ��
Old 09-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
smgreen1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
I have a Champion, 3100 Watt inverter generator and it will start/run my 15K BTU AC unit as well as a few other things in the coach, like the converter, inside and outside fridges and TV.

If I want to run the microwave or other high draw items, I have to turn the AC off.
+1 on the Champion 3100 watt intverter generator. I used it to power my old 25' TT and could start/run the AC without issue. Did pretty well on fuel consumption as well. Solid unit, and quiet. I could let it run in the bed of my truck and could not hear it in my trailer 10' away with the AC running.
smgreen1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Stevensondrive

Sounds like a good generator. Can you use propane??
Old 09-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
TimL

RV Gen Set

I suggest you use this web site in order to make an informed decision on a gen set.

http://rvgenset.com/
TimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
msubobcats

I clicked on the 7000 w link and it would not show any info. This may be the one we bought from Costco. Ours is a dual fuel. Works great. But LOUD... But when the power goes out it has us covered...

Is this the one you are checking on...

https://www.championpowerequipment.c...uel-generator/
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
dcg9381

> Yes they are noisier Hondas but that's not important.

You'd be surprised.

The good news is that the 7000 watt has a 30A dual-pole breaker (I looked at the parts diagram), so you'll be able to get some pretty good power out of that 240V side - including getting 30A of 120V if you adapt it.

If you've got a 30A trailer, be aware that "7000" watts on that cable won't give you much more power than a Champion 3500, which runs about $300. Let me know if you want me to explain further. You WILL be able to run the camper and other stuff.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #9
Rkice14

I don't know of the original poster want any additional info but I would as I am also looking at purchasing a generator to handle my Bullet 248RKS as well as my house when the power is out due to the annual ice storms we seem to get

I'm looking for the generator to handle the A/C as well as the other circuits in the camper without struggling.
Rkice14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
dcg9381

We can recommend, it's just cost vs quiet...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #11
Bushman512000

Buy a Honda

You will spend a little more but also be happy down the road...I have a 1000 and a 3000 no troubles at all and they run a lot dry camping.Never had a bad remark from any other camper about how loud they are .Bet You will have with any of the units You are looking at any time I camp I try to keep the noise down..Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator