Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #21
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I believe where the conversation about "Towmax" tires gets sideways...someone throws "all Chinese tires" into the mix! Let's stick to the Towmax issue not "chinese tires!"

If implied lack of maintenance was the reason my Towmax tire exploded at 1,100 miles, how is it my Toyo tires that have 55,000 plus miles are doing just fine?
Just a shot in the dark here but ... your Toyos are not ST tires.
I sincerely think that tires designed for vehicles that carry passengers are held to a higher standard then trailers even though there are people in vehicles behind them that can suffer injuries from their failure.
I'm glad to see that Exsailor has taken a deep breathe and may be heading towards a more feasible course of action.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #22
Desert185

Quote:
I believe where the conversation about "Towmax" tires gets sideways...someone throws "all Chinese tires" into the mix! Let's stick to the Towmax issue not "chinese tires!"

If implied lack of maintenance was the reason my Towmax tire exploded at 1,100 miles, how is it my Toyo tires that have 55,000 plus miles are doing just fine?
Its easy to lump Chinese tires into the same reputation, but then there is Sailun, who seems to have a good record. If I were to buy a Chinese tire it would only be a Sailun, but then if Maxxis is doing the job, why should I buy anything else other than Maxxis or a Carlisle? Maxxis quad tires are outstanding, BTW.

If it works, and isn't Chinese, that's a twofer in my book.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:00 AM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
We had 2 tires fail within the 1st year and I am fanatical about checking tires and monitor them with a TPMS but I often wonder what the tire pressures were set at during the trip from the manufacturer to the dealer which can be over a 1,000 miles. If the pressures were low during transit to the dealer it would explain so many earl failures and why some owners never have a problem
I can't speak for every transporter, but I personally check the tires on every trailer before leaving. I'll admit there is a compromise as I set them a few lbs light (about 3) in Indiana because in less than a day I'm in much higher temps. By the second day the cold pressure is up due to 20-30 degree warmer temps in the areas I'm transporting. as an RV owner, I'm aware of the problems with OE tires so I watch the tires very close. Believe it or not, there are some in the industry that have never owned an RV and have very little experience towing...I once had to show a guy how to unhook a 5er at the dealership he just delivered to. I've also met guys who have never backed a trailer, but are transporting RV's for a living. I'm sure they don't watch the tires as closely.
In defense of tires, a transporter who's been doing this for over 10 yrs told me he used to get flats on almost every trip, now he hasn't one in over 3 yrs, so they're better than they used to be. That's another reason to get rid of older tires if you still have them!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 08-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #24
Ken / Claudia

Worth saying again by me. There are every type of vehicle and tire make that does get flats or blown up. Just spend 10 hours a day for years working on a metro interstate. I have as other co workers had blow outs on police vehicles. I have had blow outs on my own vehicle along with flats. Each must be looked like and inspected to really find out what happened. Most change them out, leave them at the tire shop and move on. So, what really caused the flat or blow out? Over heat, under pressure, wrong valve stem, age, mileage, road hazard, over loaded or a tire not made correctly.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #25
Exsailor

As I suspected nobody would reply. We campers have done everything right, tire pressure, speed and yet these tires go off like shotguns. While we are sitting on the road waiting for RA we see trailers with exponentially more weight roar by. I will become a thorn in the side to anyone who has "Highway safety" in their title. If anyone dismissive let's go as part of the system then I disagree. I remember a few years ago when firestone and ford got caught up in a similar situation.

Exsailor from MS
2008 35 Ft Montana
2012 GMC Duramax Diesel
Old 08-10-2015, 11:13 PM   #26
Steve S

You have 3 pages of replies, what exactly are you looking for in a response?
Old 08-10-2015, 11:15 PM   #27
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsailor View Post
As I suspected nobody would reply. We campers have done everything right, tire pressure, speed and yet these tires go off like shotguns. While we are sitting on the road waiting for RA we see trailers with exponentially more weight roar by. I will become a thorn in the side to anyone who has "Highway safety" in their title. If anyone dismissive let's go as part of the system then I disagree. I remember a few years ago when firestone and ford got caught up in a similar situation.
Different situation....different kind of tire.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #28
SUnderwood

I picked my TT up less than 100 miles from the manufacturing plant, all of my tires had 47.5 pounds in them at pickup, they are wearing normally, the TTs I saw at the local dealer had a tire that looked like it was ran low on pressure, nail in another , and another that was severely worn,makes you wonder what the transport company subjects them to, I know on my trip back home the road was full of pot holes , rough sections, and a bunch of debris along the shoulder , maybe towmax tires are not as tolerant of abuse as some of the other brands
Old 08-16-2015, 09:51 PM   #29
Ken / Claudia

Since I am retired from the state police I do not stop to check disabled motorists. I do drive 25 miles each way to work at the PD on the freeway. Today I counted 4 disabled vehicles. 1 car and 1 5th wheel had flats, the other 2 no flats. Does that mean anything, maybe not. But, as I said all vehicles can have flats. A 18 wheeler blew a tire last week and caused a 7,000 acre fire in Oregon. Comm. truck road gaitors(blow tires) are seen nearly daily on the shoulders. ODOT and OSP picks them up nearly daily. ODOT was inspecting them for awhile to learn what they could as to why the tire failed. Strange fact, I was told most or over half were not retreads. Guys really need to inspect the tires and learn why they blew before saying all are no good.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #30
roadglide

My dealer sold us 5 years of extended warranty through coach net and wanted to sell tire warranty for 600 $ for 5 years that would replace tires and repair the rv it seem like a good deal now after reading about the china Bomb. Any thought on the tire warranty?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #31
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Just a shot in the dark here but ... your Toyos are not ST tires.
I sincerely think that tires designed for vehicles that carry passengers are held to a higher standard then trailers even though there are people in vehicles behind them that can suffer injuries from their failure.
I'm glad to see that Exsailor has taken a deep breathe and may be heading towards a more feasible course of action.
Hi Hankpage...thank you for your reply! Yes they are "trailer tires" and here is a link for everyone that wants to upgrade to an awesome tire! Like said earlier...55,000 miles and still look almost new!!!

http://toyotires.com/tbr/tire/patter...al-truck-tires

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Old 08-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #32
Ken / Claudia

Tire warranty sounds good if your putting on lots of miles. As long as the small print reads good. Like they will replace them if they fail no matter the cause. Seems RVs wheel wells, side walls, wires, pipes etc get taken out with the blow tire unlike a car where usually there is no vehicle damage.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:30 AM   #33
rcbufalino

So before you decide on whether you are deleting this post, I would like to share this with you. We have just returned from a west coast trek from Minnesota. Had three blowouts on my TH Fuzion 412, THREE! Kept the pressure at the recommended specification on the sidewall of the tires.
Once I got home after the third blowout I found this article regarding a recall that occurred last December. I do not know if my tires were covered under the recall as they were in shreds and nothing was left of them, convenient.

WASHINGTON (Dec. 9, 2014) — Dynamic Tire Corp. is recalling about 17,369 Towmax STR trailer tires, size ST225/75R15, because they may have the incorrect load capacity and inflation pressure stampings on the sidewalls.

The tires, which are Load Range D and carry an 8-ply rating, were manufactured by Shandong Yongfeng Tyres Co. Ltd. at its plant in Linyi, Shandong Province (DOT code AD), between June 15 and Oct. 14, 2014, according to the company’s filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

The misinformation on the label could lead a driver to overinflate the tires, according to the Woodbridge, Ontario-based company. Tire overinflation may increase the risk of a tire failure, which can increase the risk of a crash.

The recall covers tires sold both in the U.S. and Canada. The tires being recalled have Tire Identification Numbers of AD B4 BPD 2414 through 4214.

The Towmax line is distributed in the U.S. by TBC Corp. and others.
2014 Yamaha Stratoliner (His)
2014 Yamaha Stratoliner (Her)
1999 Yamaha Venture Royal Star
:USA2
Old 08-19-2015, 04:44 AM   #34
gearhead

Quote:
Hi Hankpage...thank you for your reply! Yes they are "trailer tires" and here is a link for everyone that wants to upgrade to an awesome tire! Like said earlier...55,000 miles and still look almost new!!!

Every tire I saw in that link was for heavy duty trucks. Smallest diameter was 17.5".
Do you have a different link for tires appropriate for the majority of RV's?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 08-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #35
ChuckS

http://m.ebay.com/itm/171745778780

I have 6000 miles on these and no worries. Run real nice on my Alpine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #36
dcg9381

Those look good. Apparently 57 lbs each. They are foreign made tires, but seem to get good feedback. Make sure your wheels are rated at or above the rating of those tires.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:02 AM   #37
ChuckS

Yep. Wheels stamped 110psi. I bought mine at our local Les Schwab tire store. There is a huge difference from these compared to keystone factory tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
Old 08-19-2015, 06:37 PM   #38
CWtheMan

Quote:

All of the Toyo tires in your link are rated for 62 MPH. A tad slow for some people.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #39
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbufalino View Post
So before you decide on whether you are deleting this post, I would like to share this with you. We have just returned from a west coast trek from Minnesota. Had three blowouts on my TH Fuzion 412, THREE! ... I do not know if my tires were covered under the recall as they were in shreds and nothing was left of them, convenient.

WASHINGTON (Dec. 9, 2014) — Dynamic Tire Corp. is recalling about 17,369 Towmax STR trailer tires, size ST225/75R15, because they may have the incorrect load capacity and inflation pressure stampings on the sidewalls.

The tires, which are Load Range D and carry an 8-ply rating, were manufactured by Shandong Yongfeng Tyres Co. Ltd. at its plant in Linyi, Shandong Province (DOT code AD), between June 15 and Oct. 14, 2014, according to the company’s filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

The misinformation on the label could lead a driver to overinflate the tires, according to the Woodbridge, Ontario-based company. Tire overinflation may increase the risk of a tire failure, which can increase the risk of a crash.

The recall covers tires sold both in the U.S. and Canada. The tires being recalled have Tire Identification Numbers of AD B4 BPD 2414 through 4214.

The Towmax line is distributed in the U.S. by TBC Corp. and others.
Your tires are not a part of this recall. The recall specifically applies to 225/75R15 LRD (8 ply) tires. Your Fuzion tire size is ST235/80R16E. As far as I have been able to determine, there is no manufacturer recall for the tires installed on your RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #40
Red11

Lesson Learned

I've been reading about all the problems with Towmax tires and had decided to replace them after camping season was over. Unfortunatly that was not going to happen. Last week while traveling to Illinois for vacation I was greeted by a low tire on my first fuel stop in western Pa. I even bought a certified air pressure gauge to make sure I had inflated each tire to the proper pressure (75psi). Changed that tire and we are now close to central Ohio and had one explode on the opposite side doing some major damage. Needless to say I was not a happy camper. I'm not loaded to heavy.I had approx. 1000lbs in the garage(golfcart,a few supplies) and I was going around 68 to 70mph. It's 65 deg, 3;30 in the morning without a spare and sitting alongside a major interstate. I found a Goodyear store that had 2 tires in stock and by lunchtime I was on the road again.I hope these Chinese made Goodyears are better than the peices of Sh*t that I took off. I bought 3 more at a tire store in Illinois.
Closed Thread