Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Rweb

Tire pressure

Hey everyone, need a little bit of help. I just put new tires on the trailer that I purchase at Kal Tire. They are 10 ply tires. Now the sticker on the side of our trailer say to keep them at 65 PSI. Kal tire only put them to 60. I phoned over this morning to find out what to put in and they said there rated for 80 psi.... I am so confused. I ran 65 in the old ones, that's what our dealer had told us at the time. Could anyone offer some advice?

Thanks.

On a side note, thanks to everyone on this great forum, I have learned a lot of great tips, ideas, and valuable information.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

I WOULD RUN THEM @ 80PSI. That presure will give the the max load. they will run cooler too. did you have them balanced too? if not go back and have it done. Your tires wheel bearing shocks and axles plus everything inside will thank you enjoy them.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Tire pressure

I usually run trailer tires about 5 psi UNDER the molded max on the sidewall.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Desert185

Since SAABDOCTOR mentioned balancing...

The owner of the company that manufactured my car hauler told me to not balance trailer tires. Seems like bad advice, but then he's in the business. Opinions?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rweb View Post
Hey everyone, need a little bit of help. I just put new tires on the trailer that I purchase at Kal Tire. They are 10 ply tires. Now the sticker on the side of our trailer say to keep them at 65 PSI. Kal tire only put them to 60. I phoned over this morning to find out what to put in and they said there rated for 80 psi.... I am so confused. I ran 65 in the old ones, that's what our dealer had told us at the time. Could anyone offer some advice?

Thanks.

On a side note, thanks to everyone on this great forum, I have learned a lot of great tips, ideas, and valuable information.
The correct air pressure for the replacement tires depends on their design. Replacement tires need to provide - at the minimum - the load capacity the Original Equipment (OE) tires provided at 65 psi. (That's not my standard. That's the tire industry standard. Others may, and often do, dispute it. I do not).

Replacement tires for RV trailers become complicated when they are not the same size and design as the OE tires.

When replacement tires are of the same size but have a higher load range they will provide the same load capacity as the lower load range at the same psi. Here is where it gets complicated. Special Trailer (ST) tire manufacturer's always - maybe a little less than 100% - want that tire design to be operated at full sidewall pressures. Some may agree to a lower air pressure if it's recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Another tooth puller situation.

Bottom line; Use the air pressure depicted on the ST tire's sidewall as correct when using that design as replacement for the OE tires. Use the air pressure necessary to equal the load capacity of the OE ties when the replacement tires are LT.

Always check wheelwell clearances. Always check the distance between tires - 1" minimum. Make sure the new tires do not exceed the load capacity of the rims. Make sure the replacement tires correctly fit the rim dimensions.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
gearhead

Sounds like you had 8 ply tires originally, now you have 10 ply. The max air pressure is molded onto the sidewall of the tire. Usually fairly small print. It most likely is 80 PSI cold. Try to find on the back side of the wheel if it is rated for 80 PSI. If the wheel is good for it, I would run max air pressure, 80 PSI.
I can't imagine any mechanical reason to not balance tires on any trailer.

CWtheMan is all over it. Good info.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Bob Landry

The armchair engineers usually turn these tire pressure threads into discussions bordering on the rocket science level, but that isn't needed. Some people are constantly adjusting tire pressure to meet some published load/pressure table. I don't. I have gotten and still get the best longevity from running tires on all of my vehicles at the maximum rated pressure stamped on the tire simply because there is less rubber touching the road and they are going to run cooler.. There's no need, IMHO, to fill it with less to compensate for heat and higher pressures because th tire manufacturers have already factored that into the design. it works for me, YMMV.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
W.E.BGood

Desert185 said, "The owner of the company that manufactured my car hauler told me to not balance trailer tires. Seems like bad advice, but then he's in the business. Opinions?"

The guy who owns the company that built my house told me not to change the filter in my furnace...now there's an "expert's" opinion if I ever heard one. .

Per my friendly local/been-in-successful-business-for-many-years chief tech, they recommend balancing any wheel operated at highway speeds, particularly if any weight point is over 1/2 ounce...like my TST507 sensors with brass high-pressure stems.
W.E.BGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:10 AM   #9
TomHaycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Since SAABDOCTOR mentioned balancing...

The owner of the company that manufactured my car hauler told me to not balance trailer tires. Seems like bad advice, but then he's in the business. Opinions?
This gets debated from time to time. For those who have been dogmatic about not balancing trailer tires, I have asked the question about how the physics of trailer tires are different than your TV tires. No one has been able to give me an answer. There has been isolated talk about centering the wheel on the balancer, that trailer wheels are not built centered on the center hole, but rather the studs? I can't quite wrap my head around that.

Regardless, we balance the wheels/tires on our TV because if we don't, we'd feel the vibration and be worried about integrity of the tires and suspension. Back to my question about physics. Same action is going on with the trailer tires, we just don't feel it going down the road.

Next question ... how much might an unbalanced trailer tire, lead to the self-destruction and blow outs so commonly discussed on these boards?
TomHaycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:39 AM   #10
Desert185

I agree. Trailer tires should be balanced, but I didn't argue the point with him. Sometimes it just isn't worth the effort.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 AM   #11
CWtheMan

The current Keystone Owner’s Manual does not address tire balancing. This is a quote from the owner’s manual, “Keystone RV does not administer the warranty for tires.” And it then gives all the phone numbers for their OEM tire suppliers.

So I checked out two of the references. The TowMax trailer tire warranty does not mention tire balancing. On the other hand, the Uniroyal Laredo - used as OEM by Keystone in the past - does mention balancing.

Those are two completely different designed tires and the LT has to perform well on steer and drive axles.

CW
Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
Rweb

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will put 80 PSI in the tires.

I did check the sidewall of the tire, and it does also show 80 PSI. I attached the picture as well.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
gearhead

I have worked with rotating equipment for 35+ years. Very expensive critical compressors, gearboxes, turbines, and pumps. There is none of that equipment that doesn't get balanced, whether it is a 1750RPM ANSI pump, 13,000RPM hydrogen compressor, or a 80,000HP GE steam turbine. Anyone that recommends to not balance trailers tires for $10 each would lose my business.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #14
Rweb

Rotating and balancing

Great information from everyone thanks. So How often should a person get the tires balanced and should they be rotated as well?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
CWtheMan

The best illustration I can find for the new dot tire balancing technology is in the reference below. We have Bridgestone tires on our SUV and they have the dots in the correct positions.

I’ve seen new ST tires from various manufacturers with the dots on them but cannot find anything that describes their use from their manufacturers. Maybe some of you have them and have some answers.

http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com...0ask%20doc.pdf.

CW
Old 08-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #16
gearhead

My new Maxxis tires (bought and installed yesterday) have a red dot and a green circle. The folks at Discount Tire said the red dot is supposed to be mounted at the valve stem. The green circle is something that is read on the conveyor belt at the factory.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #17
LarryL

hot weather tire inflation

Just put new set of tires on,tire dealer only put 70psi not 80psi in i will be on the road tomorrow morning early.
want to air tires to 80psi,it is 95 degrees out is ok to air tires up to 80psi,or should I just put 75psi in?
I was camping and had them do two tires at a time,didn't check pressure
until al tires were back on trailer.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Tire pressures are best checked "cold" meaning not driven on. If you took them to the tire dealer OFF the trailer, and then put them back on the trailer your fine to add air now.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #19
CWtheMan

The subject of tire pressure always seems to be a controversial subject with many opinions.

There is a single source for the correct air pressure to be put into your tires. That’s the vehicle manufacturer. That’s right, the vehicle manufacturer. They built the trailer and by federal regulations they are directed to set the correct air pressure for the Original Equipment (OE) tires and put that information in the vehicle owner’s manual and on the federal certification label/tire placard.

Tire manufacturers provide load inflation charts to assist vehicle manufacturers with tire selection and load inflation. They often recommend increasing tire pressures beyond the vehicle manufacturers’ recommendations for load conditions but they never recommend tire pressures below a vehicle manufacturers recommendations.

The vehicle manufacturers’ recommended tire pressures are the minimum standard for all subsequent tire replacements, even plus sizing with like designs or other designs. The amount of air pressure recommend for the OE tires equates to the amount of load capacity the tire will provide with that air pressure. That load capacity is what the vehicle manufacturer has set as a minimum safety factor for the OE tires. The tire industry will not knowingly recommend replacement tires unable to provide that minimum load capacity.

Here is a current generic reference (4/2014) for Keystone trailers. Tire info starts on page 18.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/8945...-19_-_1545.pdf

Here are a few references that support the statement about minimum load capacity.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/GY0513.pdf

http://us.coopertire.com/Tire-Safety...-Capacity.aspx

http://www.maxxis.com/sponsorship/au...ve-tire-safety

CW
Old 09-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #20
Festus2
Site Team

CW

While Keystone is federally regulated to set the pressure on OE tires and that pressure may be found in the manual or on labels and stickers attached to the RV, once the owner removes the OE tires and replaces them with something different, then Keystone is out of the picture. I can't see anyone checking with Keystone when setting tire pressure.

When I replaced ours with Maxxis, I referred to their data and recommendations as well as the wheel manufacturer not Keystone.