Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Just to simplify some of your steps, the best way to adjust your front fender height is to not move the truck between measurements...

Do this by towing your rig to the level place where you'll do the work, park it, set the parking brake, uncouple the trailer and use the tongue jack to lift the trailer hitch completely off the ball. measure the front fender height, then simply lower the hitch onto the ball until the jack is no longer touching the ground, measure the front fender well. Those two measurements will give you the "rise" caused by the trailer tongue weight. Then use your "pry bar" to "load" your WD bars. Remeasure your front fender height and adjust your bars as needed to get the front fender measurement back to "the unloaded measurement"...... Then stand back and see if the trailer is "nose down" or "level".... If it is "nose high" you'll need to lower your hitch ball to get the trailer to a "nose down" or "level" configuration.

DON'T MOVE YOUR TRUCK WHILE DOING THE ABOVE. You'll never get the "level spot" to be the same from place to place in a parking lot and any difference in angle will cause your measurements to be wrong......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:05 AM   #22
AussieCanadian

Excellent - thank you John!

I plan to do this tomorrow, before we head out on a longer trip next weekend. I will take the unit for a quick drive (after adjustment) at highway speeds, and see how it does. It always those longer trips that I seem to notice anything though
AussieCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #23
AussieCanadian

Hi all,

I have just returned from another weekend trip and thought I would post an update.

I completed all of the steps to adjust the height of the unit. Looks very level - weighed in and tongue weight measured 650lbs - measured with the truck empty. Then weighed the trailer (loaded) and it was 5400lbs. I was able to adjust the WD bars so the front wheel arch measurement was 1/2" within the unloaded level - as suggested by JRTJH.

Long story short - all these adjustments made no difference to the stability issues I had mentioned earlier. I still have the standard michelin tires on the truck (P265/70/R17) and that will be the next thing I might try.

The really strange thing is.... I can 'waggle' the whole truck when it's hitched and standing still in a parking lot. If I push on the WD bars back and forth with my foot, the back of the truck waggles like crazy, and I can actually see the tire sidewalls flexing way more than what I would expect. I can only imagine how much flex they have when i'm travelling at highway speeds!

Right now I don't know what to try. I believe Javi - that this is basically an issue with the F150, and I am totally shocked at Ford. My RAM never had anything like this kind of issue, and I feel completely unsafe towing with this truck. I wish I could have my RAM back.

Any other suggestions at all??
Old 06-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #24
Javi

Basically you have two choices... Wish I had better news

1. Trade for a F250 or 2500

2. is a series of things.
  1. Start with replacing the P tires with an equivalent diameter 10 ply LT tire.
  2. Add Bilstein 5100 shocks to all 4 corners
  3. Add a rear stabilizer
  4. If all that fails add heavier springs or get P.O.'d like I did and go trade it in for an F250
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #25
AussieCanadian

Thanks Javi... as much as that is bad news.... I appreciate your experience and recommendations.

Did you ever take this issue up with Ford? I ask, because I sold a RAM 1500 for this F150, and the RAM did not show a single issue. It was solid as a rock when towing the same trailer with the exact same hitch and everything....

Honestly, I feel like I am owed a refund from Ford.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #26
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCanadian View Post
Thanks Javi... as much as that is bad news.... I appreciate your experience and recommendations.

Did you ever take this issue up with Ford? I ask, because I sold a RAM 1500 for this F150, and the RAM did not show a single issue. It was solid as a rock when towing the same trailer with the exact same hitch and everything....

Honestly, I feel like I am owed a refund from Ford.
I understand, I didn't buy mine with the intention of pulling a trailer. I though I was done with pulling. Up until then I had owned or driven Dodge diesel duallys for both work and personal travel. I drove an average of 100,000 miles a year, most of it pulling 10K plus trailers.

When I retired from the fertilizer business I thought my days of pulling anything more than a small boat were over. My wife was adamantly against a camping trailer and camping. Although when younger we camped occasionally and I had worked as a mechanic in the RV industry for several years and had the use of pretty much any used motor home or trailer I wanted.

The F150 was bought to haul the 3 grandkids around, little did I know that she'd decide on the spur of the moment that we needed a camping trailer and that it had to be 30 foot long....

I had misgivings from the get go on the size of the trailer and the F150 but Ford and the trailer dealer, not to mention many of the internet experts told me that it would be no problem... In my excitement that the wife WANTED a trailer I quashed my misgivings and bought the trailer.

I really can't blame anyone but myself, I knew better and let myself believe the internet hype and experts despite my gut feelings.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 AM   #27
AussieCanadian

Thanks Javi.

Just to confirm your recommendations. My truck is brand new - only 3,000kms. Upgrading the tires definitely sounds like the #1 move, but would you recommend ditching the OEM shocks even though they're so new? Is the performance/handling of the Bilstein that much better?

Trying to understand the 'bang for the buck' here... I will send the bill to Ford for payment
Old 06-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Thanks Javi.

Just to confirm your recommendations. My truck is brand new - only 3,000kms. Upgrading the tires definitely sounds like the #1 move, but would you recommend ditching the OEM shocks even though they're so new? Is the performance/handling of the Bilstein that much better?

Trying to understand the 'bang for the buck' here... I will send the bill to Ford for payment
Yes sir, the OEM shocks are junk to start with and too soft for a truck from the get go... In my opinion the Bilstein 5100's are the best available.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #29
AussieCanadian

Thanks again Javi.

So, i've decided that I will go with replacement shocks first then tires second. Seemed logical that way as the firmer ride from the shocks might just be enough to help with handling. If that doesn't work, then I will invest in tires. The load on the current "P" tires is well within the rating of each tire hence it's the sidewall stiffness that i'm chasing.

I just ordered a new set of front (ride height adjustable) and rear Bilstein 5100's. Not cheap ($1,100 installed) but i'm sure worth the upgrade. It's about 2 weeks before they can get them on, so will have some time to wait before then.

Will keep you posted!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #30
audio1der

Hi AC, sounds like you're having similar issues to what we're experiencing with our Ram 1500/3220BH. I am leaning towards tires first, as I feel the compliant sidewall used to give a comfy ride is inadequate for stable towing.
I find it interesting that your experience with your previous Ram was so positive. I'll follow this closely.

May i ask where you bought your longer drop shank? That's next for me s we're still 1-2" nose high.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:14 AM   #31
AussieCanadian

Hi Audio1der,

Must be the towing west into our glorious AB mountains??? Lol

Very interesting that you have a similar issue with your Ram. I note that you're pulling a longer trailer that we have though. Ours is a 24'. Not saying that is an issue at all cos not aure of your weights but it may make it difficult to correlate our experiences. Just don't want you to make your decision based on my Ram experience alone!

Anyhow - quick answer to your shank question. It was bought from Hitch Experts in Calgary NW - Crowfoot Circle. They have a variety of various sized drops there. I went from my original (which gave 2" of drop) to this one which allows up to 3 and 3/4" of drop. Cost me $150 which included them refitting the WD hitch head.

I'm curious now... which model year is your Ram and which trim? Ours was a 2012 1500 Sport with 20" rims and goodyear wrangler HP tires. That truck was awesome as a TV and I wish I could have it back. I think the firmer (sport) suspension tune and 20" rims and tires both contributed to a more 'stable' feel when towing. I am actually thinking of selling this F150 and going back to a Ram Sport if the shocks don't fix the issues....

Cheers!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:22 AM   #32
AussieCanadian

Ahhh... apologies! Just saw your truck specs on your post 'tag'. Will read everything next time

So assuming you have the same good years on your Ram our truck was identical except i had the 3.55 rear and yours is the 3.92s. Dealer couldnt find a 3.92 when i bought my truck... but i did get the 3.73s in my Ford.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #33
AussieCanadian

Hi all,

It has been a while since my last post so wanted to provide an update on this situation.

Firstly - the issue has been escalated with Ford Canada whom to be honest have been little help to date other than confirming the same recommendations that have been made here by Javi (for LT tires and shocks). I am in back and forth battles with Ford corporate as to why they are advertising this truck with a tow rating of 9300lbs when it is clear that in factory configuration it is nowhere near capable of that.

Apart from the escalation - i bit the bullet and spent $1000 on new set of LT tires. They are Cooper Discoverer AT/3 load range E (10 ply). Loaded these to 65psi (they are rated at 80psi max) and they made quite a significant improvement. No changes to hitch setup or anything else but truck now feels more stable with far less sway. That said - it still occasionally feels a little squirmy but no where near how bad it was to begin with.

1 vote from me to anyone having towing handling issues - LT tires for me made a solid improvement and I consider it money well spent.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:15 AM   #34
rnkburg

You may check with the tire mfg as well. I had the hancooks on my 2013 and they did the same thing. After a while they did it without a trailer. When I took them off and put 10 ply bfg tires on you could collapse the sidewall with your hand. The tires were junk.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:36 AM   #35
Randy_K

Quote:
Hi all,

It has been a while since my last post so wanted to provide an update on this situation.

Firstly - the issue has been escalated with Ford Canada whom to be honest have been little help to date other than confirming the same recommendations that have been made here by Javi (for LT tires and shocks). I am in back and forth battles with Ford corporate as to why they are advertising this truck with a tow rating of 9300lbs when it is clear that in factory configuration it is nowhere near capable of that.

Apart from the escalation - i bit the bullet and spent $1000 on new set of LT tires. They are Cooper Discoverer AT/3 load range E (10 ply). Loaded these to 65psi (they are rated at 80psi max) and they made quite a significant improvement. No changes to hitch setup or anything else but truck now feels more stable with far less sway. That said - it still occasionally feels a little squirmy but no where near how bad it was to begin with.

1 vote from me to anyone having towing handling issues - LT tires for me made a solid improvement and I consider it money well spent.
I run the same tires on my F150. However, I do have a long bed truck,18" rims and air bags . Towing my Passport 23RB with a additional 700 lbs in the bed of the truck. < 2 motorcycles) I use a Husky centerline hitch and have had no issues with sway at all.

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote