Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Katt

Aluminum rims clearcoat problem

I have a 2012 28RBS with the aluminum rims and within the 1st year of owning it I noticed that around the outer edge of the wheel that the clear coat was turning white like the aluminum underneath is oxidizing. This year after getting it out of storage I noticed it was a lot worse and I let my dealer know and he said that it's too bad because it only has a 1 year warranty and that my extended warranty only covers the appliances. My lug nuts and center caps are also trying to rust and it stays indoors unless we are out camping. I'm about to call Keystone to see if they'll do anything about it, just wanted to see if anybody else has this problem?
Prodigy 3 Brake Controller
Firestone Air Ride and Compressor
Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Keep a close watch on your tire inflation. I have never had aluminum wheels on a trailer but have had problems with car rims corroding at the bead-seals causing slow but steady air pressure drops. Good luck with your call to Keystone as I don't foresee any satisfaction there. Perhaps you will have a better chance with the manufacturer of the wheels. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
Jim & DJ

For what it is worth you might give Tredit Tire and Wheel a call in your State. 800-537-2925.. Explain what is going on.....
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
therink

Maybe the wheel manufacturer will step up and replace them but I doubt it. The aluminum wheels used on most rvs including mine are about the lowest grade out there. I keep mine waxed and clean and mine have not yet pitted.
Have yours been exposed to road salt? It is possible the trailer was delivered from the factory on salted roads and then it sat in the dealers lot for who knows how long before they washed it. That's all it takes for cheap wheels to start the corrosion process.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
Katt

Keystone wants me to take it to my dealer so they can take pictures and send in a form. I don't think they're going to do anything about it unless Tredit stands behind it just from the way the operator talked and the service manager at my dealership. I do also believe that it was exposed to salt when delivered to dealer because the frame and jacks were also starting to rust. Thanks for letting me know the manufacturer of the wheels and their number, it might be easier to deal with them!
Prodigy 3 Brake Controller
Firestone Air Ride and Compressor
Katt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
game warden

Katt ...Good luck with Keystone thier after or out of warranty customer service flat out stinks..they will make you jump thru a bunch of hoops for nothing.My advise to you is save your time and energy taking it to your dealer and find someone in your area that refinishes those wheels.There are people out there that come to you and fix them for you,try asking your new car dealer they usally have a guy that does that kinda thing.
game warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
bsmith0404

the problem with clear coated wheels is that there are numerous things that can cause problems with the finish. Road salt, the incorrect type of cleaner are probably the most common and it's difficult to prove that the wheel was defective vs. not properly cared for. Additionally, repairing a clear coat problem is not as easy as repairing a curb scuff. Good luck.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote