Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
jwmontana

What is the best location for a roof mounted satellite dish?

I am a new Montana owner and am planning to mount a satellite dish on the roof. Is there a specific location that is designed for this purpose? What is the best way to run the cable from the dish directly to the receiver? I can figure out how to get all the connections to work once this is accomplished, but I am at a loss as to how to run the cable through the roof. It seems like this should have been pre-wired, but apparently it is not. Thanks for any ideas.
jwmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
poncho62

Just my opinion, but the best location is NOT on the roof at all.....Limits where you can park your rig, you have to think about the trees etc, What campground doesnt have trees. I would get a portable unit that you can set up after you are all settled in.
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
jwmontana

Wineguard SK-SWM3

I am planning on buying a Wineguard SK-SWM3 because it is the only option for Direct TV HD. Trees will not be a problem at our favorite camping areas and a roof mount is the only option for this type of dish.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
jje1960

Sat Mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmontana View Post
I am a new Montana owner and am planning to mount a satellite dish on the roof. Is there a specific location that is designed for this purpose? What is the best way to run the cable from the dish directly to the receiver? I can figure out how to get all the connections to work once this is accomplished, but I am at a loss as to how to run the cable through the roof. It seems like this should have been pre-wired, but apparently it is not. Thanks for any ideas.
We mounted ours behind our front aircon unit, ran the wire down a hole into the main cabin. Did not worry about running into any walls, covered the hole and wires with a fake plant! Worked out great, awesome mod for us. We believe mounted on the roof is way to go, just stop and push the button for tv anywhere you have the clear view, great for stops during trips or while at destination. Of course you need to consider if you will be in obstructed areas, however if it's that obstructive, you will have issues anyway. Our unit was purchased on ebay, like $200.00 plus shipping, originally used a box from the house, now just us a box we pay extra $6.00/month dedicated to the 5Ver. I must say, it's nice just pulling in, pushing the button and watching tv... vs placing a portable, rain or what-ever. Everyone has their preference though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0032sm.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	4566  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
jwmontana

Roof Mount

Thanks for the information and picture, I appreciate it. A question that I have though, was there solid backing below the roof for your mounting location? I am concerned about drilling into the roof and finding only air below and nothing solid. It seems to me that keystone would have selected a small area for solid backing under the roof for this purpose, but I cannot find out any information in this regard.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
therink

Personally speaking, I would not mount a dish on the roof unless I always planned to camp in open areas. I use a Directv slimline 3 hd dish tripod with 100' of coax and have always been able to get signal.
A friend of mine recently had a dish installedon his roof and regrets it as he has not been able tto get signal in first 3 sites he camped at due to trees.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
jje1960

ROOF - Sat Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmontana View Post
Thanks for the information and picture, I appreciate it. A question that I have though, was there solid backing below the roof for your mounting location? I am concerned about drilling into the roof and finding only air below and nothing solid. It seems to me that keystone would have selected a small area for solid backing under the roof for this purpose, but I cannot find out any information in this regard.
Again, everyone has their own preference, plenty of camping all over last year, not once did we encounter clear view obstruction for signal. I suppose I could even carry our old dish and setup with cable, just have not had to. Offset convenience of just pushing the button and having Television is great. As for the roof, well we have a walking roof, not sure what you have. However, the way they mount is with four legs that are really spread out on the perimeter of the dome, 3x 1" screws in each leg, plastic hole cover with self leveling caulk, I installed ours in like an hour up on the roof. If it was not so darn cold out I would go up on the roof and take a picture for you!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Outbackmel

Sattelite Dish

I was at the Atlanta RV show and CW was the sponsor. They had a new style , light weight, gizmo, that finds sattelites within 3 minutes, fully portable for the weak and supports 2 tv systems within the same RV. You can put this thing about anywhere and push a button and be having tv in a few minutes without hassle. Just screws into rear connecting port outside your rv. About $550.
Going to the Tampa Supershow in early Jan and will buy if we decide to stay with fifth wheels vs motorhome. Any MH would have sat-in motion system.
Strong preference right now is new Montana High Country with bunk house, automatic leveling, 4 dr fridge, slide toppers, 2 portable light weight Honda generators, re enforced bike rack welded from frame, and away we go!!
Grand kids are at ages where they actually love camping in the 5er. That's about as good as it gets.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote