Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
djbenphillips

Had A TIRE BLOW!!!

Well I guess its inevitable if you own a Travel Trailer that it will happen sooner or later. I guess my time was today. I lost the rear right tire on my 2012 Fuzion 310. Fortunately the injuries were minor but they still need to be repaired. It damaged my "fender flare" and some of the sheet metal skirting directly behind the tire.

Can I get parts directly from Keystone or will I have to go through a dealer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

djbenphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Ebay is a possibility, but it's easiest to get the right part from a dealer---and you may even get a discount if you use the same dealer you bought your RV from.

Big plastic parts come with ridiculous shipping charges. One of the many things I learned on this forum is that you might be able to have the parts you need shipped completely free---inside another new RV headed from Keystone to that dealer. Not all dealers are willing to do this, but it does not hurt to ask. Obviously, you may have to wait a bit longer for the parts to arrive.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbenphillips View Post
Well I guess its inevitable if you own a Travel Trailer that it will happen sooner or later. I guess my time was today. I lost the rear right tire on my 2012 Fuzion 310. Fortunately the injuries were minor but they still need to be repaired. It damaged my "fender flare" and some of the sheet metal skirting directly behind the tire.

Can I get parts directly from Keystone or will I have to go through a dealer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for your mishap! Probably the hot weather had something to do with it.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Ron

You would think the manufacturers would get a clue some day and quit putting junk tires on these RVs, especially the larger heavier ones...I ended up putting 14 ply on ours, now I can tow with confidence....
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
mamestra

Have you checked with the tire manufacture? We had a blowout on ours, I kept the tire and contacted Goodyear and they covered the repair.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

You do not say what tires they are. If they are tow max go to their web site. They do have a warranty.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
diugo
Permanent User Ban

I'd love to hear from someone who got relief from Towmax's warranty. First, the tire has to be in inspectable shape. If it's destroyed, they (like all tire manufacturers) will simply say it was underinflated and deny the claim. Then there are Towmax's arcane documentation requirements. Finally, you have to find an actual Towmax dealer and take the tire there. All this---just for another Towmax!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
chuck&gail

Make sure you carefully check the OTHER tires. If they are Chinese, they may all be ready to fail IMHO.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

Diugo,thats good information, I did not read thru the warranty information. Only just that there is one. It would figure that to use it most won't due to to much trouble.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
Make sure you carefully check the OTHER tires. If they are Chinese, they may all be ready to fail IMHO.
Certainly the tire on the same side as the failed one should be carefully examined---particularly if it handled the double load for any extended period of time. My blowout was one of my rear tires and I didn't notice it for several miles---by then it had disintegrated and I just happened to notice chunks of tread in the mirror.

So out of an abundance of caution I chose to replace that other Towmax---which actually did its job quite admirably, if you think about it. Thus "Made in China" was not a sufficient reason to replace the other original two. I did rotate things so that they are now on the front axle, however.

And I got me a TPMS which has afforded fantastic peace of mind.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
T11ravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
I'd love to hear from someone who got relief from Towmax's warranty. First, the tire has to be in inspectable shape. If it's destroyed, they (like all tire manufacturers) will simply say it was underinflated and deny the claim. Then there are Towmax's arcane documentation requirements. Finally, you have to find an actual Towmax dealer and take the tire there. All this---just for another Towmax!
I just went through this with them last month. All it took was a quick email and then a 5 min. phone conversation with Olga who was very polite and professional. She found a local independent tire place within 3 miles for me to swing by for a quick inspection. She called within 48 hrs. with a prorated amount and I had a check in my hand 10 days later. I was free to buy whatever tire I wanted from anywhere.
Pretty easy really.
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by T11ravis View Post
I just went through this with them last month. All it took was a quick email and then a 5 min. phone conversation with Olga who was very polite and professional. She found a local independent tire place within 3 miles for me to swing by for a quick inspection. She called within 48 hrs. with a prorated amount and I had a check in my hand 10 days later. I was free to buy whatever tire I wanted from anywhere.
Pretty easy really.
Great to know, Travis. With my TPMS I should be able to catch the next one before it disintegrates. That Towmax would simply cut a check is very impressive. What amount did you get, if I may ask? Did you have to present documentation asserting that the failed tire was installed only on your trailer by Keystone---as the warranty clearly states?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
T11ravis

They sent me $100 out of a max of either $120 or $130 (can't remember what she said). That # was based off tread depth that was measured during the inspection.
IIRC I think she did ask for my VIN # which proved the camper was only 8 mos. old so I guess they just assumed I was still using the OEM tires and didn't request additional paperwork, etc.
On a side note, I ordered a TPMS system last week.
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
jcbaker

I am currently battling with Dynamic tire (Mfg. of TowMax) with no luck. Two blowouts on the same weekend, less than 1500 miles on the trailer (2012 Passport 26BHWE). I know for a fact that I am not overloaded and the tire pressures were holding strong at the max. pressure before I left. I sent all five tires to Dynamic, two of which were completely destroyed. They are sticking their head in the sand. They've offered a "goodwill" credit for each tire if I sign a "release of liability," but will not cover the $4000 in damages to my trailer. How nice of them...

Have also contacted the dealership and Keystone, as I think they have some responsibility in this situation. Nobody cares and I'm very disappointed in their responses! Currently seeking legal advice.
jcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Ken / Claudia

Not alot of information on your blow out as to where the tires where or age etc. I guess maybe they were on the same side when one blew out the other was overloaded and failed. I do not know how the dealer or keystone has anything to sue over but, that's for a lawyer. A friend had a blow out on a toy hauler with damage to trailer and filed an insurence claim that paid. I have thought I would go that route if/when that happens to me. Also get full metal valve stems on the new wheels so you can rule out valve failure. (That I did have x2)
Old 09-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #16
djbenphillips

Well, coming home from the lake today after the Labor day holiday, I had another one blow. This time Driver side rear tire. Tire is 14 months old from the day I bought the tire. Tow max 235/80/16. I even checked the pressure before we left JUST to be sure.

Im done with these. Whats a good replacement that you guys have put on in place of these? Any suggestions and links would be helpful. Fixing to start making some longer trips in the upcoming weeks to UT football games and I do not want to have to change a tire every trip I make!
Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
EricLynnAllison

I put Firestone Transforce HT, truck tire, all around after losing 3 towmax in t weeks.
Previous 1973 Coleman Popup
EricLynnAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

Many of our members, including myself, have gone to Maxxis. You can check out their website to see what they have in that size and depending upon where you live there may be a Discount, Les Schwaab or other retailer that carries them. I know Discount does but not sure about Schwaab. Ordering online would be another option.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
abneynormal

Note!

all st (special trailer) tires are rated for 65 MPH maximum. we blew 3 power king tires. I chunked them for firestone transforce ht tires max speed 106 mph. note they don't have the same load carrying capacity as the st tires. my 3912 has 3 axles and 16 inch rims so I still exceed the carrying capacity of the axles with the firestones.
I would recommend weighing your rv. I use the axle weight. most talk about dropping your rv on the scales to weigh it. DONT the scale master will be pissed. if you want to get the actual weight weigh your rig. drop your trailer then reweigh your tow venicle only. add the difference on your drives to the rv. if you just worry about fixing the damage and not the cause you will have problems again. note: if you have 15 inch rims you might have to just put maxxis tires on they are st tires but I have heard nothing but good things about them. yes they are rated 65 mph
Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
djbenphillips

Anyone put the Goodyear G614 RST's on? I'm just concerned about my "factory" wheels being compatible with the pressure. They are rated for 3750@110. That gets me well above my weight limits.