Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
trooper253

When to winterize

We are finishing up our first season of owning a camper and hate to see it come to an end. We would like to take a few more trips before winterizing our unit. I live in the Mountains of North Carolina and it is starting to cool down a bit. At what point should I witnerize it and wait for spring?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

We all know about the feeling of not wanting to see the camping season come to an end! The question you raised is not an easy one to answer. Not knowing about the weather and climate of that area, how much longer you want to camp and how many more trips you would like to take all make it difficult to come up with a "point at which you should winterize and wait for Spring".
Some people prolong their season by doing a partial winterizing - draining the water lines and HW tank and putting RV antifreeze in the lines - take their own potable water or use whatever hookups and facilities you can find at various campgounds. Use can stil use your own furnace, stove and fridge this way and get away for those last couple of trips.
However, you do not want to wait too long before you winterize your water system. I waited too long one year and was caught by a sudden and unexpected cold snap --- never again!! "Water, water everywhere....."
You know your weather patterns best but I would err on being cautious rather than getting caught unprepared. You do not want frozen water lines!!!