Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
seattleslug

How long before hot water?

I just purchased a 2004 Keystone Springdale. I took it to a local dealer to check it out. All that was found was that the "electric" element in the hot water heater was burned out, but they said it worked fine on propane. I had them replace the element, and I forgot to ask them how long it would take to get hot water. There are two rocker switches next to the push button holding tank level meters and battery checker. One says "water pump" the the second says "htr". When I press the "pump switch" the water pressure builds. When I press the "htr" a light glows, but how long should I need to wait for hot water? The only instructions I see are for the propane pilot light in the water heaters access panel on the outside of the trailer. They just state to turn on the propane and the pilot should light once it senses the gas flowing. I have yet to use the propane as I have connected the trailer to 120v to check out the air conditioning, fridge and microwave. I am hesitant to just turn on the "htr" switch and leave it as I don't want the element to burn out. I have lots on water in the holding tank, and just want to know how long before hot water?
seattleslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
SLIMSHADIE

I never really timed it, maybe an hour. If all four of us are taking showers in the morning, I'll turn the propane and electric on, for a faster hot water recovery. I generally just use electric, due to its free. I have the same wall switches but also another rocker switch in the hot water service panel to turn it on, so I have to have both switches on for electric. Just because you have water in the freshwater tank doesn't mean there is water in the hot water tank. After filling the fresh water tank, turn the pump on to purge all the air out of the lines and it will fill the hot water tank also. I usually open the faucets up one at a time just to make sure there is water in all the lines and hot water tank. Then top off the fresh water tank, again.Also i think another problem could be for burning up elements is, draining the waterlines to early. The water will stay hot for hours in the hot water tank if not being used. So when packing up I may turn off the electric and/or propane, turn the hot water handle on the faucet to cool the element, bringing in cool fresh water. Or when I get home, drain it the next day.

Probably TMI
Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
seattleslug

Thanks, everything was perfect. It was not until I really checked carefully that I too found the little switch inside the outside heater panel
seattleslug is offline   Reply With Quote