Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2021, 06:32 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Randy, being from Rio Rancho kind of wondering about your rating of tires. When mentioning Toyos and Continentals as something one would prefer as a good tire, I have to question that. Owned both and won't again.

As far as the Sailun being "3rd tier" I figure since they're new they will have to earn their place. If anything like their ST tires they will excel in short order....especially if the competition is Continental or Toyo. JMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #22
rlh1957

Check for warped rim or other components.

I’ve never had a drive tire wear more than others. But they get rotated and re-balanced every 5000 miles also as well as checking everything else.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH (8) BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inverter. SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #23
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJ View Post
Time for new tires on the tow truck, looking for advice.
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 megacab, towing a 2019 Keystone Outback 301 UBH.
The OEM tires are Firestone Tranforce LT275/70R18 and are about 90% gone at 33000.
My local tire guys recommended Michelin Defender LTX M/S, they said they have a better milage rating than the Firestones.
Any recommendations would me great.
On a side note the right rear is worn about 25% more than the rest, the tire guys said this is because that is the tire that does most of the driving work, sounds a little fishy to me any thoughts?
Have you checked to see if the tires are directional? If so, were they properly installed?

Directional tires should never be rotated using the crisscross method.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #24
81SHOVELHEAD

Tires

Just replaced our Transforce tires on our 2015 2500 Hemi Ram @ 36,000 miles.
Went with the Yokohama AT3 . 60,000 mile wear ?
Haven't towed our 5th wheel yet but in wet driving conditions no issues with braking or slipping . No noticeable road noice . Been running the smaller version on my Toyota Tacoma for 2 yrs now with no noticable wear & 20,000 miles . My 2500 has the same size tires as yours.
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:41 AM   #25
Viet_Vet

Quote:
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 megacab, towing a 2019 Keystone Outback 301 UBH.
The OEM tires are Firestone Tranforce LT275/70R18 and are about 90% gone at 33000.
My local tire guys recommended Michelin Defender LTX M/S, they said they have a better milage rating than the Firestones.
On a side note the right rear is worn about 25% more than the rest, the tire guys said this is because that is the tire that does most of the driving work, sounds a little fishy to me any thoughts?

On the strong recommendation of my best friend, 2 trucks ago he convinced me to go with BF Goodrich KO2 tires. I reluctantly had them installed at Sam's Club. I say reluctantly because the tread looked aggressive and I was concerned about road noise.

I have to say that these are the best tires I've ever.owned on a truck. When I sold my old truck and bought the Ford, I took off the Michelins and bought a new set of BF Goodrich KO2's.

If you are a member.of Sam's Club or BJ's, I suggest you purchase them at one of those 2 clubs. Not only.do you save a ton of $$$, but you also get free road hazard, free tire replacent, free tire rotations, and free balancing for life of the tires.
If you can't fly with the eagles, go peck s**t with the chickens!
Viet_Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:43 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Abnormal tire wear on one rear tire only? Not since I got old enough to buy positraction differentials! when I was a teenager I remember my father taking his car back to Montgomery Wards and complaining about the "quick tire wear". It was all 4 tires because I would push that black 1970 Galaxy 500 (sport roof model) with that 390 4v hard thru the turns. Dang that was fun!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:42 PM   #27
gearhead

^LOL That right rear tire wear is from coming out of turn 4 rolled over on that right rear too hard. Get some of that weight on the left side of the car and get a stronger shock.
...says gearhead, a 2008 graduate of the Gary Wright sprint car set up school.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:08 PM   #28
Badbart56

So many differing opinions on a certain brand of tires. I have learned over the years that a manufacturer can and will make a lesser quality of the same brand of tire. I had a set of Goodyear Fortera's on my wife's Trailblazer and we got over 70K miles on them. So being satisfied with those I purchased a set from Sun Tire (now Mavis Tire). The second set wore out in 36K miles!

As for the Firestone TransForce, there is more than one version of those also. I oversaw a fleet of Chevy K2500 HD 4x4 trucks in North Florida that were used as service trucks on the interstate. Each of these trucks would commonly see 400 miles a day, 7 days a week, patrolling Interstate 10 for breakdowns and assisting the Florida Highway Patrol on crash scenes. We used TransForce AT2 tires exclusively and wear patterns were excellent. We got as much as 106K miles out of them although the majority of them were rendered unserviceable due to the road hazards (and OFF road hazards) that they encountered. So, be advised that not all TransForce tires are cut from the same rubber. I'm sure that's the case with other brands too.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #29
gearhead

My RAM came with Nexens so I would be happy with about anything else. After their belts were broke by I-49, expansion strips, I went with Coopers, highway thread. Have about 30,000 miles on them. I would buy them again.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #30
Rominks

truck tires

I had Michelin LTX's as my originals and they lasted for about 55k and they were great for highway and towing. They did not work really on country roads for hunting and fishing but was great for the towing. I then moved to Cooper Discoverer AT3 and they have been great for towing and the back roads. I will buy them again.
Rominks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 07:29 PM   #31
Tireman9

Quote:

Might keep a closer eye on whatever new tires you get and to consider rotation to even out the wear ea 10,000 miles. Where are you getting the mileage rating? Don't forget that many OE tires give up some wear to give better fuel economy.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #32
NMRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Randy, being from Rio Rancho kind of wondering about your rating of tires. When mentioning Toyos and Continentals as something one would prefer as a good tire, I have to question that. Owned both and won't again.

As far as the Sailun being "3rd tier" I figure since they're new they will have to earn their place. If anything like their ST tires they will excel in short order....especially if the competition is Continental or Toyo. JMO.
What the hell does being from Rio Rancho have to do with anything??

I just stated what works for me, and my experience.

If you want to run cheap tires on you 80k pickup ... go right ahead. I hope that works out for you.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 04:51 PM   #33
roadglide

I would never run toyos again . I did find out something today at discount tires that my Duramax will take 275/70/18 Michelin the same tires on the 2020s, that gives them a higher pay load . I bought four of them today . I ask the tire guy to check the wear on my 50 k tires with 80 percent towing. Attendant came out with a hand held apparatus scanning the tires it read 6 1/2 and said a new tire is 12. I know the wider tire tracks better and more stable. I believe the Allison transmission works better with more rubber on the ground. Discount tire is running a sale on for 275/70/18 LTX tires for $1075 and a mail in rebate on four tires.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #34
Javi

Michelin all the way for my dually.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #35
8upbowhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Abnormal tire wear on one rear tire only? Not since I got old enough to buy positraction differentials! when I was a teenager I remember my father taking his car back to Montgomery Wards and complaining about the "quick tire wear". It was all 4 tires because I would push that black 1970 Galaxy 500 (sport roof model) with that 390 4v hard thru the turns. Dang that was fun!

My first car was a 67 galaxy 500 with the 390 lol. I drove the crap out of that thing.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRandy View Post
What the hell does being from Rio Rancho have to do with anything??

I just stated what works for me, and my experience.

If you want to run cheap tires on you 80k pickup ... go right ahead. I hope that works out for you.

Doesn't have much to do with anything I suppose and just threw that out without any context in a hurry. DIL and grandson lived there for years and spent quite a bit of time there with them....should have added some clarification. Nice place if you didn't have to deal with Albq.

As far as tires everyone has their opinions and I've owned hundreds of sets of tires of all kinds personally plus managed a large fleet....... I've also learned to wait for evidence and some kind of history before I call a tire brand 3rd tier when I have no idea......
Old 07-21-2021, 07:52 AM   #37
NMRandy

Quote:
Doesn't have much to do with anything I suppose and just threw that out without any context in a hurry. DIL and grandson lived there for years and spent quite a bit of time there with them....should have added some clarification. Nice place if you didn't have to deal with Albq.

As far as tires everyone has their opinions and I've owned hundreds of sets of tires of all kinds personally plus managed a large fleet....... I've also learned to wait for evidence and some kind of history before I call a tire brand 3rd tier when I have no idea......

I have also owned many, many, sets of tires, and still do. Many of them are Toyos, and I know of a bunch more on the road, and know of 1 tire that had to be warrantied. I own 30+ vehicles, including my trailers, quads, and so forth. I only stated my experience, and what the review said.

As far as Toyo tires, I know you don't like them, and that is ok. I would like to know what issues you had with them.

I bought a truck that had Hercules 19.5 tires on it when I bought it, and all 6 failed before 50% wear, as in chunks coming out of them in the center of the tread. It now has Michelins on the front, and Hankooks on the rear. The Michelins are $400 tires, and the Hankooks are half that. The Michelins are very good tires. The Hankooks are out of round to the point of making a noticeable, minor vibration at 40 mph.

I have noticed that UPS uses mostly Goodyear tires on their trucks, I am sure they consider cost per mile when purchasing tires, and if there was a more cost effective option, they would do that.

I have a friend that works for a 2nd tier tire company that deals mostly in trailer and ATV tires. He told me that most overseas tire companies that are making tires for the US market are using used, 2nd hand equipment that is not as consistent when makin the tire, and that is why they need more weight to balance them. They also frequently remove the UV protection additive from the rubber compound, to save money, Did Sailun do this? I have no way of knowing. Based on the price, I would guess they cut corners somewhere.

The pictures of failed Sailuns I have seen looked like damage due to low pressure, which is not the tires fault, it is user error.

Once again, I wish you the best of luck with your tires, and please let me know what issues you have had with Toyo.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRandy View Post
I have also owned many, many, sets of tires, and still do. Many of them are Toyos, and I know of a bunch more on the road, and know of 1 tire that had to be warrantied. I own 30+ vehicles, including my trailers, quads, and so forth. I only stated my experience, and what the review said.

As far as Toyo tires, I know you don't like them, and that is ok. I would like to know what issues you had with them.

I bought a truck that had Hercules 19.5 tires on it when I bought it, and all 6 failed before 50% wear, as in chunks coming out of them in the center of the tread. It now has Michelins on the front, and Hankooks on the rear. The Michelins are $400 tires, and the Hankooks are half that. The Michelins are very good tires. The Hankooks are out of round to the point of making a noticeable, minor vibration at 40 mph.

I have noticed that UPS uses mostly Goodyear tires on their trucks, I am sure they consider cost per mile when purchasing tires, and if there was a more cost effective option, they would do that.

I have a friend that works for a 2nd tier tire company that deals mostly in trailer and ATV tires. He told me that most overseas tire companies that are making tires for the US market are using used, 2nd hand equipment that is not as consistent when makin the tire, and that is why they need more weight to balance them. They also frequently remove the UV protection additive from the rubber compound, to save money, Did Sailun do this? I have no way of knowing. Based on the price, I would guess they cut corners somewhere.

The pictures of failed Sailuns I have seen looked like damage due to low pressure, which is not the tires fault, it is user error.

Once again, I wish you the best of luck with your tires, and please let me know what issues you have had with Toyo.

I did not/would not run Toyos on our commercial vehicles due to personal experience with them. Only owned 2 sets; one on a pickup and one on an SUV. In both cases I could not keep them balanced no matter what we did or how many times we checked them. Wear was erratic to say the least. I had a set on my Ram truck when I traded it in and as we went around it to determine trade in value the guy that appraised the truck stopped when he looked at the tires, turned to me and said "you know those are terrible tires, they all have to be replaced so knocking 1K off your trade in price". So, long story short, they were a headache from the time I bought them to the day I got rid of them.

I too wish you luck with your tire choices. Tires, their performance and a person's personal assessment are very subjective and dependent on many variables that only that individual controls. Depending on my experiences with the Sailun ST tires I had put on this trailer and any historical data that emerges in the future on Sailun truck tires I may go with them when I replace the current truck tires vs Michelin.....but that is a BIG stretch at the moment.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #39
Northern Lights

Goodyear Transforce air pressure

My 2005 F350 has Transforce HT tires.
The fronts have even wear equally across the tires but need replaced at 90% gone. We pull a 5th wheel. The rears have plenty of tread left. The tires are the same age?
The door decal calls for 60 pounds in the front & 80 pounds in the rear. I suppose the 60 lbs in the front is for a smoother ride. But, what does 60lbs 24/7/365 in an 80 lbs tire do to tire wear?

I'm really pleased with the rear wear on the Transforce, but even with equal wear out across the fronts is another story.
Northern Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:29 PM   #40
NMRandy

Quote:
I did not/would not run Toyos on our commercial vehicles due to personal experience with them. Only owned 2 sets; one on a pickup and one on an SUV. In both cases I could not keep them balanced no matter what we did or how many times we checked them. Wear was erratic to say the least. I had a set on my Ram truck when I traded it in and as we went around it to determine trade in value the guy that appraised the truck stopped when he looked at the tires, turned to me and said "you know those are terrible tires, they all have to be replaced so knocking 1K off your trade in price". So, long story short, they were a headache from the time I bought them to the day I got rid of them.

I too wish you luck with your tire choices. Tires, their performance and a person's personal assessment are very subjective and dependent on many variables that only that individual controls. Depending on my experiences with the Sailun ST tires I had put on this trailer and any historical data that emerges in the future on Sailun truck tires I may go with them when I replace the current truck tires vs Michelin.....but that is a BIG stretch at the moment.
Wow!! What tire was that? I have had several sets of Open Country AT's and AT2's and have never had to rebalance them for the life of the tire, and they don't take very much weight to balance. Are they lining up the dot for the valve stem? Even so the balance shouldn't change unless you have extreme tire wear, and that would be an alignment issue. Maybe they just don't work well with Ford or Ram's suspension. I have GM stuff.

Tags
tires