Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #1
Harks_723

Tire design issue or something else?

Morning everyone. First post here, I'll do an intro separately but I wanted to come on and get opinions on my Keystone Outback.

Long story short I have a 2017 Outback 324CG, single owner, purchased new in May of 2017.

Trailer weighed in full trim at 10,060lbs.

As I was leaving a friends after visiting for Thanksgiving we noticed what seemed to be 'bubbles' in the driver side rear tire. The unit is a dual axle.

Upon inspection, the inner tread (measured as to the centerline of the trailer front to back) is HEAVILY worn. The sidewall on half of this Trailer King tire is starting to bubble, indicating was I imagine is the tire ready to come apart. Luckily it was caught, I replaced with the spare and we made it back to our current home base in Albuquerque without issue.

The passenger side rear tire is also showing signs of tread wear in the same pattern.

Front tires look completely fine.

Doing a complete review I'm left scratching my head a bit on a few issues from a design standpoint.

The trailer king tires (factory issued) are marked as a MAX rating of 2,540lbs each. Combined that's 10,160lbs. However, Keystone has this trailer as a max GVWR of 10,500lbs. We remain under that weight (religious about not overloading).

Am I missing something?? I know there is safety factor in equipment, but how can the factory provide tires that are almost 500lbs underweight for the max recommendation for the trailer??

I brought the issue up to Keystone and they are recommending that I take the trailer in to have a rear axle inspection done to rule out it being bent. This is scheduled for Jan 2. Part of me thinks I'm being sent on a wild goose chase as the axle doesn't seem to be bent, the tires are not out of camber, and the wheels spin freely when off the ground.

I also asked Keystone for a formal statement on the tire selection logic regarding the max weights. This was two weeks ago. They are still remaining in contact but nothing has surfaced as requested.

I know the factory is going to put the bare minimum on as a way to cut costs. These tires have lasted us over a year with probably 14-17k miles, but it still seems like premature wear. If it's a case of the tires being overloaded, it doesn't surprise me, but per the book the trailer is not over weight. If anything, the tires are UNDER weight.

Thoughts/comments? Any help is appreciated. Tire pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181126_143340.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	19620   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181126_143355.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	19621   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181126_143419.jpg
Views:	201