Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #21
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

No shore power

If all is well when connected to a 30 amp pedestal, the the problem is with the home hookup.

If the breaker serving the home receptacle never trips, the problem is with voltage drop.

Not knowing the cords in use to connect the camper to the home receptacle, I can only assume there is an extension cord in play here.

Too little gauge (bigger the number) and or too long of an extension cord and you will have too much voltage drop for the current you are trying to pull.

Again, if the home receptacle's breaker never tripped, it is not an over current situation.

Depending on the age of the home and how far this receptacle is located from the main panel, it could have some of its own voltage drop issues. Connecting the camper to it would only compound the voltage drop.

Using a 12 or 10 gauge extension cord, as short as possible, is the best you can do... if your camper's 30 amp cord can't reach on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #22
sleeepr

That is the most likely scenario. Heavy home extension (14ga) but long. Outlet is in the outbuilding away from the main service as well. At least this gives me something solid to go on, and less likely a gremlin in the rig. Thanks to all.
sleeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:33 PM   #23
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeepr View Post
That is the most likely scenario. Heavy home extension (14ga) but long. Outlet is in the outbuilding away from the main service as well. At least this gives me something solid to go on, and less likely a gremlin in the rig. Thanks to all.

The easiest thing to do would buy extra 30 amp camper extension cords. That way you would have extra when you camp too. With extra cords, you can park your camper where you want and be less reliant on pedestal location.

With 30 amp camper cords, you'll have 10 gauge conductors... which will minimize voltage drop for your home situation.

Just plug your adapter right in to the receptacle.

Walmart is the quickest and easiest place to buy the 30 amp camper cords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #24
Bob Landry

Get rid of the 14 guage extension cord. It's only good for 15A and if its a long run it's not even good for that. My suspicion is that the EMS is sensing a low voltage or reverse polarity condition and shutting down power. If you are using a bunch of adapters to get to the 15A outlet it the EMS may not like those. I would get rid of those. They will overheat and burn your rig down, hopefully with you not in it. The ems would be the only click you might hear as the power panel and converter do not have audible relays. If you are good on 30A power, leave the trailer alone. if you go re-wiring you will induce more problems. The problem is with your source power at home.

I installed my Progressive Industries EMS using interlocking 30A plugs, around $100 at Home Depot. If I have a power issue I can remove the EMS and reconnect power to the trailer. I also added an additional 30a service to my trailer and only one EMS so I moved all of my inductive loads over to it so they would be protected.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power