Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #21
SummitPond

Just fully completed installation of my EMS-HW30C. Pix are attached.

The EMS was installed in the space adjacent to where the shore power entered the trailer - the junction box is visible in the photo (along with sawdust left behind by Keystone!); it is an otherwise mostly empty area where I found a Studor vent from the tub/shower. I mounted the EMS unit on rubber washers (circular items at the corners of the box) to minimize the floor from being used as a sounding board due to unit hum.

The remote display was mounted on the side of the cabinet that houses the power cable/stereo. I wish the remote display had a jack on the back as well as the underside. This way one could possibly hide the hole for the data cable.

It'll be fun watching the load. It certainly will make appliance use management much easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5280-As initially found under TV.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	12373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5409-mounted EMS device.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	12375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5413-remote panel.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	12376  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #22
BuxCamper

Right now I'm planning to mount my display head in a cabinet with Velcro so I can take it out when needed. But if I do mount it in a visible location I think a piece of outside corner molding over the wire held in place with silicon adhesive/caulk will make it look better.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #23
Jeepshots

My Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C should be in this week. I'm going to install it with the 30amp twist-lock connectors on both sides (saw that on one of the posts here somewhere, and liked the idea). Not sure where I'll install it - anyone put one of these on a Bullet 243BHS? I haven't pulled the panel off yet, but there's an area underneath the panel that houses the outside shower feed lines. not too keen on anything electrical being in that location. Just don't know how much room i have behind the panel, since the box for the electric cable is just behind the panel compartment.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #24
CrazyCain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCain View Post
I got a portable one and as you can see it is locked with chain. It actually is double locked first on chain/wire then pole/wire..If sneaky fingers happen to have bolt cutters, it's theirs...just pray that i am not around!
Follow up, my plug in "Camco" 30 AMP Power Defender Voltage Protector has withstood monsoon rains a few times this year, especially today and worked and performed with out fail, just incase any one was a wondering.

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #25
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxCamper View Post
Right now I'm planning to mount my display head in a cabinet with Velcro so I can take it out when needed. But if I do mount it in a visible location I think a piece of outside corner molding over the wire held in place with silicon adhesive/caulk will make it look better.

-- Mark
Did this with mine. Attached with velcro. Just open the door to check display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-03-02 13.46.14.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	12450   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-03-02 13.46.02.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	12451  

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #26
cardinal96ss

I went whole hog and this year purchased a Progressive Industries 50A portable protector to hookup at the pedestal to augment my Progressive Industries 50A permanent one inside. Very glad I did. A week ago Saturday and Sunday we were in a known campground with trusted power outside Bristol TN waiting thru a large rainstorm, with thunder and lightning, for NASCAR racing to continue. Didn't have any surge issues but did have low voltage (less than 104V) twice on line 2 that the permanent protector detected and suspended power a bit (seconds) until the power came back up. My "neighbor" has only the portable Progressive 50A and had no interruption. He spent the rest of our time there worrying about it happening again and suffering the possible effects of brownouts on his equipment. While seconds of brownout shouldn't affect much they could have lasted much longer.
Double insurance???
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:56 PM   #27
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
The remote display was mounted on the side of the cabinet that houses the power cable/stereo. I wish the remote display had a jack on the back as well as the underside. This way one could possibly hide the hole for the data cable.
I cut the plug off one end of the wire, for the remote display and made a hole just large enough for the wire to fit through and then crimped an new connector on after I passed the wire through the hole

-Brian
Old 07-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #28
the sodfather

So, installing one of these hard wired units is as simple as installing it inline at the junction box where the cord comes in a goes to the converter?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sodfather View Post
So, installing one of these hard wired units is as simple as installing it inline at the junction box where the cord comes in a goes to the converter?

Pretty much! My shore cord is at the back, so I just took the panel under my cabinet off to access the junction box. Attached the shore cord to the EMS "IN" and the trailer Romex to the EMS "OUT" and then drilled a hole just big enough for a phone cord for my remote display.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #30
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Pretty much! My shore cord is at the back, so I just took the panel under my cabinet off to access the junction box. Attached the shore cord to the EMS "IN" and the trailer Romex to the EMS "OUT" and then drilled a hole just big enough for a phone cord for my remote display.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I can handle that. We are camping at South Padre Island now. Amazon Prime delivery will have it there for me to install this weekend. Then we head back out next Thursday. Lots to do...clean TT, fill propane, install EMS, wash linens, the list goes on....
Old 07-13-2017, 07:28 PM   #31
BuxCamper

And attaching it to something so it doesn't slide around. Putting an old mouse pad under it helps as the relay will vibrate a little and the pad keeps the floor from being a sounding board.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #32
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxCamper View Post
And attaching it to something so it doesn't slide around. Putting an old mouse pad under it helps as the relay will vibrate a little and the pad keeps the floor from being a sounding board.

nt from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
Good call. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Mine is screwed down to carpet, no noise issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #34
Desert185

Right or wrong, I went with a portable.

-Transferable to another trailer.
-50A, because my trailer is 50A. If I had a 30A trailer I would still purchase a 50A because...transferable.
-Allows checking of other pedestals if the one you parked at has bad power. Find a good one, then move the trailer.
-Threat of being stolen. Well the odds are it won't be. The advantages of the three above override this minimal threat. Chain it up and the creep(s) will steal someone else's.
-Don't want to go outside if it trips? You'll have to go outside eventually to resolve the problem, anyway.

FWIW...
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Right or wrong, I went with a portable.

-Transferable to another trailer.
-50A, because my trailer is 50A. If I had a 30A trailer I would still purchase a 50A because...transferable.
-Allows checking of other pedestals if the one you parked at has bad power. Find a good one, then move the trailer.
-Threat of being stolen. Well the odds are it won't be. The advantages of the three above override this minimal threat. Chain it up and the creep(s) will steal someone else's.
-Don't want to go outside if it trips? You'll have to go outside eventually to resolve the problem, anyway.

FWIW...

^^^x2 Pretty much the reason I went with the portable as well......and I guess I'm too lazy to rewire the trailer......
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #36
Javi

My 50 amp is hard wired in... I did tell my Daughter & Son-in-law to buy a portable 30 amp for their new trailer... but that was cause with them and three teen aged kids they ain't gonna keep this trailer for long... 30 foot pull behind with no slides... after one weekend they already talking about a dually and a 5th wheel...
Old 07-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #37
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
My 50 amp is hard wired in... I did tell my Daughter & Son-in-law to buy a portable 30 amp for their new trailer... but that was cause with them and three teen aged kids they ain't gonna keep this trailer for long... 30 foot pull behind with no slides... after one weekend they already talking about a dually and a 5th wheel...
I'm surprised, as you generally appear to have your "stuff" together. You made my point. Sorry to point that out, but thanks. Now they have to buy another one.

This time:

Next time: (as usual)

Welcome to the club.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #38
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I'm surprised, as you generally appear to have your "stuff" together. You made my point. Sorry to point that out, but thanks. Now they have to buy another one.

This time:

Next time: (as usual)

Welcome to the club.
Yep.. they'll have to sell it, but that isn't difficult and they will recover a good bit of the original purchase price.. Then have can the new 50amp hard wired as part of the deal, just like awning toppers and vent covers...