Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #21
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando3 View Post
Okay gentlemen maybe this is where I should ask since I see most of you have bought tires lately. I bought a brand new Fifth Wheel in December of 2016 and first trip I had a blowout, no damage thank God. I did several things that probably contributed to the blowout. I knew better, ran them at about 62 PSI rather than 65 as stated on the tire my mistake, followed rv dealer recommendation. I also ran the tires on a round-trip 1500 mile trip sometimes between 70 and 75 miles an hour which I Now understand you should not do. So here is where I'm at, do I put a 225 / 75 R15 E Rated Tire from the original D Rated Tire or do I put a 16 inch tire. Other sprinters run the 235/80R16 FROM THE FACTORY. I believe mine came with the smaller tires due to the fact that the factory weight didn't quite reach 10000 pounds, it was 97 30. Thoughts? BTW, my axles are already reversed (came this way).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

Sad but true. Keystone will provide Original Equipment tires that meet the very minimum required. For instance, the 2016 wide body 298FWRL models’ specs indicate the trailer is equipped with 5200# axles and de-rated by Keystone to 5080# - legally - which allowed them to fit it with ST225/75R15D tires rated at 2540# @ 65 PSI. Why they would not spend a few $$$ more for the LRE tires is beyond me.

With a trailer fitted like that it is very unlikely the OE tires would have lasted more than a year with a normal load, correct tire inflation pressures and speeds under 65 MPH.

Notes: All RV trailer tires are fitted to GAWR. With RV trailers there is no requirement/regulation for the trailer manufacturer to provide tires with load capacity reserves. The RMA recommends load capacity reserves to be at least +12%.

On average, a 1 PSI loss of recommended tire inflation pressure equates to a 1.7% loss of load capacity for that tire. It’s not a big deal with automotive vehicles because they have some reserves to fall back on. For people hauling fully loaded RV trailers it is a big deal. Do you know what kind of load capacity reserves your trailer tires are providing?
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #22
CWtheMan

Quote:
Yes I am towing a 298 FWRLS with an 04 Dodge 2500, 5.9 diesel HO engine.. Keystone put trailer king ST 225/75R15 load rage D, about 2530 lbs. per tire. I guess I will buy the same size tire load E which will up it to 2833 per tire (since I was informed ftom Keystone that changing tire size will void warramty). At least until warranty is up, then I will make chage. I really like my RV but I`m beginning to feel I should have gone with Jayco.

The LRE is rated for 2830# at 80 PSI. Check your rims to make sure they will handle the extra PSI. Without using PSI above 65 PSI you gain nothing with the LRE. Also, shop around. A lot of the new tires have higher speed ratings. Look for a service description like this 117/112L, The "L" is a speed letter for 75 MPH. They might also have "M" or "N" for higher speed ratings.

Note: Service descriptions are allowed on ST & LT tires but they are not the official load indicator, that distinction for those tires is the Load Range letter.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #23
Orlando3

I do like taco cabana!

Orlando3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #24
the sodfather

Quote:
Okay gentlemen maybe this is where I should ask since I see most of you have bought tires lately. I bought a brand new Fifth Wheel in December of 2016 and first trip I had a blowout, no damage thank God. I did several things that probably contributed to the blowout. I knew better, ran them at about 62 PSI rather than 65 as stated on the tire my mistake, followed rv dealer recommendation. I also ran the tires on a round-trip 1500 mile trip sometimes between 70 and 75 miles an hour which I Now understand you should not do. So here is where I'm at, do I put a 225 / 75 R15 E Rated Tire from the original D Rated Tire or do I put a 16 inch tire. Other sprinters run the 2w35/80R16 FROM THE FACTORY. I believe mine came with the smaller tires due to the fact that the factory weight didn't quite reach 10000 pounds, it was 97 30. Thoughts? BTW, my axles are already reversed (came this way).

Id stick with the rims you've got. Dump the "China Bombs" and put on some new tires. You got very lucky to have a blowout that didn't tear anything up. Slow down and enjoy the ride.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #25
Orlando3

Heres the problem......everything is made in china. Goodyear are "mostly" made in america. What does that mean? Goodyear doesnt make or maybe I didn't see ST 225/75R15 E load range tire, only a D. Most tires are made over seas in american companies, is that what u mean?

Orlando3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Heres the problem......everything is made in china. Goodyear are "mostly" made in america. What does that mean? Goodyear doesnt make or maybe I didn't see ST 225/75R15 E load range tire, only a D. Most tires are made over seas in american companies, is that what u mean?

I think most (all?) trailer tires are made overseas. I believe Maxxis are made in Thailand and Goodyear (RV) tires are back in China as far as I remember. They sent them to China, brought them back and sent them back again....if memory serves me correctly. The "china bombs" come primarily from the plants in the Shandong province. Those are the plants used to produce Trailer Kings and all of the other brands made by the parent company. From my personal experience, and many others posted on this forum and others, they make an inferior product. Most folks have had good luck with the Carlisle HD and Maxxis tires from what I've read.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #27
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Most folks have had good luck with the Carlisle HD and Maxxis tires from what I've read.
I have three questions:

1) When you say Carlisle HD and Maxxis, do I assume you mean Carlisle Radial Trail HD and Maxxis M8008 ST?

Background for #2:
I somehow scuffed up the lead trailer tire on the driver side and took a small chunk out of the sidewall (a Trailer King ST205/75R14C, original to the trailer, purchased new 2 years ago). The tire on the rear axle shows no scuffing or damage. I discovered this damage while doing a tire check prior to a camping trip.

I typically travel 55 mph on the highway. Tread and condition of the other three tires looks quite good.

2) Due to the present budget, I'd like to only replace the one tire rather than all four at this time, if the consensus is that is OK to do.

3) If the answer to #2 is it is OK to replace the one tire, when it is mounted should it be the lead tire or the trailing tire (i.e., do I put it back from where it came or should I swap it with the one behind it)?

Thank you for sharing your expertise.
Attached Images

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #28
Tbos

Sister Schack,
Replace at least that damaged tire. If you have a good spare consider putting it on as the other tire on that side. Last season I hit a curb and did the same thing on the right side. I saw no damage to the other tire on that side but I ended up having a blowout of the tire that didn't look damaged. Like you I am a conservative driver too. Travel safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Sister Schack,
Replace at least that damaged tire. If you have a good spare consider putting it on as the other tire on that side. Last season I hit a curb and did the same thing on the right side. I saw no damage to the other tire on that side but I ended up having a blowout of the tire that didn't look damaged. Like you I am a conservative driver too. Travel safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Do at least what Tbos recommends above. You need to get that damaged tire off before you go anywhere and replace the other one on the same side with the spare....if it's any good. Look them over very carefully. They tend to destruct from the inside out. Unfortunately, replacing an RV tire one at a time in different years will probably lead to a failure at some point simply because you can't tell a "good" tire by looking at it. My recommendation, and I think most, would be to replace them all if at all possible. If not, be sure and put a note somewhere so you know what tire was replaced when so you can keep track of what's on what wheel.

I installed the Carlisle HD. Maxxis is another good tire but I don't know if they make them in your size. My problem with the Maxxis was getting them in in a timely manner before we left and they have far fewer warranty locations than Carlisle per the tire dealer (DT).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #30
the sodfather

Yes, Carlisle Radial Trail HD and Maxxis M8008 ST tires are what most are referring to.

I'd figure out how to replace all 4 at the same time. DT usually always has 6 months no interest financing...

Get rid of those Trailer Kings...

If you were close, I'd give you my 3 "good" TK's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	11762  
Old 01-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #31
SummitPond

As soon as I spotted the chunk out of the sidewall I swapped out the tire with the spare.

Wally World has the Carlisle Radial Trail HD 8 ply (the 65 psi tire) for $50 a piece, only $3 more than the 6 ply (go figure). I've spoken with the household budget director (the DW) and we'll do all four.

Thank you all for your comments and concern.

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
Old 02-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #32
SummitPond

As of today I have four new, balanced, 8 ply Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires. Thank you all for your advice and comments. The old China bomb spare went back on the rear carrier - hopefully to never be used again.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Remember that part of the "preservation/aging process" for tires is being rolled under weight of the trailer, to release the oils in the rubber. Without that, tires "age faster". When you add sitting on the rear bumper under a black, gray or even a white cover, your spare will "get old before its time"... So, realize that the tires "on the trailer" will lose about 10% of capacity per year and "time out" at about 5 years, the spare, sitting on the bumper will probably lose capacity faster and age faster, approaching 15% or even more per year. So, if that spare has been on the bumper for 2 years already, that's close to the same as 3 (or more) years on the ground. Don't ignore your spare by thinking it's going to "just be there, stagnant" until you need it. Watch it closely, when you get to 3 years from the manufacturing date, start considering whether you want to risk using it, even as an emergency measure to get you to the next tire dealership.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #34
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
As of today I have four new, balanced, 8 ply Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires. Thank you all for your advice and comments. The old China bomb spare went back on the rear carrier - hopefully to never be used again.
Thinking of buying these tires. Are they made in the USA.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Until just recently there are NO ST tires that are produced in the USA. Last month Goodyear announced their new ST tire, the Endurance and said that it will be produced in the US. https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US...iler_tire.html

To my knowledge, this is the only ST tire manufactured in the US. I haven't heard of any reports on durability, reliability or performance. It's available at Tire Rack, Wal Mart and other tire sales centers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #36
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Until just recently there are NO ST tires that are produced in the USA. Last month Goodyear announced their new ST tire, the Endurance and said that it will be produced in the US. https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US...iler_tire.html

To my knowledge, this is the only ST tire manufactured in the US. I haven't heard of any reports on durability, reliability or performance. It's available at Tire Rack, Wal Mart and other tire sales centers.
John. Did some reading and it seems like this is a good tire. Will look into buying as long as they ship to Canada. Thanks

2018 Cougar 27RESWE
Old 02-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #37
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShacterShack View Post
What's even scarier than your China bombs are mine that size the same. The difference is my trailer is roughly 2,000 lbs heavier. I'm upgrading not only tires but wheels size to to give me much appreciated insurance when rolling at highway speeds. Wheels are on order; tires will be mounted and balanced courtesy of Discount Tire. And I didnt forget the spare. Spare tire gets a steel wheel though.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #38
66joej

Further to the new Goodyear Endurance ST tires. Sound real good.
ST225/75R15 = 2800 load, 10 ply rating, n speed rating (87 mph).
Made in the USA. Doing research this is the ONLY ST tire not made in China or other overseas countries. Price on Tire Rack $120US. Was only introduced Jan/17 so too soon for owner feedback but Tire Rack has high praise for it.Worth checking out if looking for made in USA ST tires.

2018 Cougar 27RESWE

Tags
tires