Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2016, 01:35 PM   #21
Milocka

Went with the brand new Carlisle Trail HD 225/75/15 E. Here she is getting her new shoes...

BTW - the blow max tires that were taken off Had a date code of 9/2009! I was on borrowed time for sure!

Milocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #22
Desert185

I'm surprised Discount Tire put those clip on weights on aluminum wheels. One of my pet peeves.

Like the tires, though.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #23
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I'm surprised Discount Tire put those clip on weights on aluminum wheels. One of my pet peeves.

Like the tires, though.

They did that on mine, also... Haven't seen any real problems with it, but understand why it's not "right". At least they're balanced...
Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #24
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
They did that on mine, also... Haven't seen any real problems with it, but understand why it's not "right". At least they're balanced...
The Goodyear store in Kalifornia did that to my bro in law's pickup, too, and I believe he specified stick on weights. He's going to sell the truck, so what the heck. The installer didn't look like he was having a good day when I walked my dog by the service bay.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #25
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440justin View Post

But the flip side I think of is most of us run our truck tires below the max sidewall psi number. In addition I had seen where the HD trucks give a loaded and unloaded pressure rating.
Tire inflation pressures for automotive industry tires are not comparable to tire inflation pressures for RV trailers. The method used to determine their recommended values differs considerably.

Tires of different designs such as passenger and light truck when used on RV trailer axles become trailer tires and their recommended inflation pressures are then set using the same method as any other tire when used on the RV trailer's axles. The only difference is the passenger tires MUST be derated by about 10%.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:33 AM   #26
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Tire inflation pressures for automotive industry tires are not comparable to tire inflation pressures for RV trailers. The method used to determine their recommended values differs considerably.

Tires of different designs such as passenger and light truck when used on RV trailer axles become trailer tires and their recommended inflation pressures are then set using the same method as any other tire when used on the RV trailer's axles. The only difference is the passenger tires MUST be derated by about 10%.

In addition, if your trailer is a utility trailer, there can be a big variance between loaded and unloaded weights. Just like our trucks. However, if we're talking campers, there isn't much difference between loaded and unloaded. For all intents and purposes, they are always loaded.

I run my rig's pressures at max all of the time. Full disclosure: For what it is worth, I run LT tires and not ST tires.

In my truck, I run max psi when pulling my rig. (My rig is an Outback TT - 10,500 GVWR... at or above that [emoji51])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #27
fla-gypsy

There's been some positive feedback on The new Carlisle Trail RH/HD. For several years the only good choice was Maxxis. It's nice to see some other options in the market and cost less too.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:57 PM   #28
Milocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
There's been some positive feedback on The new Carlisle Trail RH/HD. For several years the only good choice was Maxxis. It's nice to see some other options in the market and cost less too.

Out the door for under $700 for 5 new HDs with warranty is pretty damn good in my opinion. The tires seem to ride much better too. We will see this weekend how they do on the Colorado mountain dirt roads!
Milocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:53 AM   #29
camreal

Tires

Put 4 Carlisle tires on my Freedom Lite 3 years ago from Discount. One blew last week at 60 mph and another had a tread separation and ready to go. Had Discount put 4 Maxxis on and they gave me some credit for the Carlisles. Feel much better about hitting the road this summer.
camreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:31 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camreal View Post
Put 4 Carlisle tires on my Freedom Lite 3 years ago from Discount. One blew last week at 60 mph and another had a tread separation and ready to go. Had Discount put 4 Maxxis on and they gave me some credit for the Carlisles. Feel much better about hitting the road this summer.
If you would, please provide some additional information??? What specific "Carlisle tire", what size, how heavy is your trailer and how are the tires "stored/used" ??? Thanks in advance !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #31
byrdr1

I know you went with Carlise.
They are good tires, one dealer who does service and oil changes uses carlise ST only and he tows a camper and race car rigs with these. My other a tire only dealer uses maxxis.
I have maxxis on my camper, Michelin's on my truck. Michelins came from Discount tire. 6months same as cash and took all six months to pay for them.
Those tires look good.
enjoy and happy trails.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:44 AM   #32
camreal

Tires

The above mentioned tires were Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST 205 75 14C dated 03/13. Trailer weighs 6200 lbs and sits covered except when on the road. About 15k miles in the last 3 years.
camreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:44 PM   #33
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by camreal View Post
The above mentioned tires were Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST 205 75 14C dated 03/13. Trailer weighs 6200 lbs and sits covered except when on the road. About 15k miles in the last 3 years.

Sounds like my estimate on mine will work out about right... I guessed three seasons, then replace.

That or I'll have one go this summer ... ;-)
Old 06-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #34
Texascoastalfish

Getting Carlisle HD's tomorrow morning

[QUOTE=Milocka;201353]Went with the brand new Carlisle Trail HD 225/75/15 E. Here she is getting her new shoes...

I have the 235/80 R16 Fail Kings on my 2015 Cougar, I have about 5000 miles on them and am going up to the White River in N Arkansas in a week (1400 mile RT). Tires look ok as far as tread and sidewall but as I have read its inside that wears as well. Had it up at the lease for 7 months last year and all tires were low when I went to bring it back to Galveston. 1 tire was extremely low.
I'm not chancing it so I have an appointment at Discount to put on new Carlisle HD's . $ 660 for 4 installed ins't too bad. I will not worry on this trip, at least not about the rubber..

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=Texascoastalfish;203305]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milocka View Post
Went with the brand new Carlisle Trail HD 225/75/15 E. Here she is getting her new shoes...

I have the 235/80 R16 Fail Kings on my 2015 Cougar, I have about 5000 miles on them and am going up to the White River in N Arkansas in a week (1400 mile RT). Tires look ok as far as tread and sidewall but as I have read its inside that wears as well. Had it up at the lease for 7 months last year and all tires were low when I went to bring it back to Galveston. 1 tire was extremely low.
I'm not chancing it so I have an appointment at Discount to put on new Carlisle HD's . $ 660 for 4 installed ins't too bad. I will not worry on this trip, at least not about the rubber..
I put a set of HDs on my trailer prior to coming here to FL. My previous Trailer Kings looked excellent but one decided to self destruct on my initial try to get here. The new HDs seem to be doing great (about 1300 miles so far) and I'm happy. They seemed to run cooler coming down vs the old D range tires; maybe it was just the circumstances/weather etc. but they seemed to. Hope you have good luck with yours.

You're heading to the White River?? Beautiful river. Whereabouts are you headed?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #36
flybouy
Site Team

Ordered these from Tread Depot on line. Arrived in 2 business days. Great price.

Carlisle Radial Trail RH - Trailer
ST225/75R15 RADIAL TRAIL RH LRE
Item Number: 5151411 4 $0.00 $67.00 $268.00

Labor / Service Discount
$25 INSTANT REBATE
Item Number: DCTDF25 1- $0.00 $25.00 $-25.00

Shipping: Free
Tax: $0.00
Total: $243.00
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #37
Lic0rice

Ordered 4 Maxxis M8008 from Discount tires. Went in this morning around 10:30 to have them mounted but asked to check the manufactured date...2615. Yep, one year old. I told the salesman that I was not excited about purchasing tires that old. To make a long story short, he found 4 Carlisle Radial Trail HDs at another store 1.5 hours away. I said that I would go get them but he insisted that he would have them by the end of the day. Got a call at 4:50 and they already had them mounted on my new wheels. Getting them on the 5th wheel tomorrow morning.

Excellent service from Discount Tires!! OH, the Carlisles are $125 less for the set of 4.
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #38
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lic0rice View Post
Ordered 4 Maxxis M8008 from Discount tires. Went in this morning around 10:30 to have them mounted but asked to check the manufactured date...2615. Yep, one year old. I told the salesman that I was not excited about purchasing tires that old. To make a long story short, he found 4 Carlisle Radial Trail HDs at another store 1.5 hours away. I said that I would go get them but he insisted that he would have them by the end of the day. Got a call at 4:50 and they already had them mounted on my new wheels. Getting them on the 5th wheel tomorrow morning.

Excellent service from Discount Tires!! OH, the Carlisles are $125 less for the set of 4.

Good catch on the mfg date.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #39
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Good catch on the mfg date.
Yes, more so because Maxxis warranty says 4 years from date of manufacturer.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #40
Texascoastalfish

[QUOTE=sourdough;203308]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascoastalfish View Post

I put a set of HDs on my trailer prior to coming here to FL. My previous Trailer Kings looked excellent but one decided to self destruct on my initial try to get here. The new HDs seem to be doing great (about 1300 miles so far) and I'm happy. They seemed to run cooler coming down vs the old D range tires; maybe it was just the circumstances/weather etc. but they seemed to. Hope you have good luck with yours.

You're heading to the White River?? Beautiful river. Whereabouts are you headed?

Sourdough

Staying at the Bull shoals White River St Park. Bringing my Avon Rover 12' Inflatable and trolling motor. going to try for some of those Trophy Rainbow and Browns..

Got the HD's installed. Discount Tire initially messed up and started to put on the RH's . I stopped the boys doing the install and went inside to straighten things out. The Salesman had messed up and even though We talked at length on the phone before I came in, and he even stated the differences and improvements on the HD's over the RH, he used 4 RH's he had in stock instead, Whiskey Tango ......? Anyway he apologized..Ordered the HD's and waived install. He left a RH on the rig because he said 1 Fail King had a nail near the sidewall. He put that RH as a Spare for free. Discount Tire came through and took good care of me . 4 Carlisle HD's and a RH spare, balanced, Installed $590 . Cant complain. Leaving Saturday Morning for AR.

Texascoastalfish is offline   Reply With Quote