Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
I really dont understand your "up and down" movement being much of a problem. Isn't that what the stablizer jacks are for? How do you get enough up and down movement that is annoying when the stabilizer jacks are firmly installed? I do understand that putting jackstands in the middle will help, but is it enough to be worth worrying about?.

I'm assuming that when people claim the X-Chocks take out movement, that when the fore and aft movement is removed, they think movement has stopped. Which in most cases I would think is the most movement there is, followed by side X side, then up and down the least problematic.

I could be very wrong in my thinking, but, I see it as (%'s for example):
Fore and Aft movement -50%
Side By Side movement - 30%
Up and Down Movement - 20%

So, if you can remove fore and aft, you have vitually removed 50% of the movement, thus, making people believe that the X-Chocks eliminated movement.
A lot of the "satisfaction" or "frustration" with RV movement has to do with "where you're located" in the RV and "what you're doing". If you're sitting in a rocker in the rear "directly above the stabilizer jacks" you won't sense much movement with the stabilizers properly positioned. The same holds true for the kitchen being "over the stabilizers". But, if you're trying to boil a pot of water that's nearly full" over the axles and someone is walking "heavily" past the stove, you'll get a different sensation of "bounce" than the person sitting in the rocker 5 feet away from the stove.

Some floorplans place people (or equipment) at locations where the suspension movement is more noticeable than other floorplans. It depends on where you're sitting or what you're doing. In some floorplans X-Chocks will be "enough to be happy" and in other floorplans, they simply won't work well enough to justify their expense.

Really, if you consider how X-Chocks work (to stop tire rolling), you can do the same thing with conventional chocks by placing them in position behind the wheels, using the tow vehicle to "push back against the chock" and then placing a chock in front of the wheel. The trailer weight will essentially "lock" the tires preventing as much roll as the X-Chocks prevent.

X-Chocks do prevent some "tire roll", and that's a "good thing" if you're getting 'sea-sick" while the DW is walking around, but using "factory supplied stabilizer jacks and X-Chocks" won't stop as much movement as using "factory supplied stabilizer jacks and a steadyfast system"... then, adding jack stands to the frame at the axles will improve even that (for those who really want stability to the extreme) but even then, you'll get some movement when the kids jump off the bed.

ADDED: I think you're right, X-Chocks will remove some of the movement (possibly as much as 50%) and for many people, that's enough to satisfy them, for others, not so much...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote