Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Maxzd

Honda 2000 & 15,000 BTU A/C...

Everything I have ever been told or read was these two won't work together.

I am not sure why I finally hooked up my Honda 2000 to try this. I was looking at upgrading to a Honda 3000 just figured I would give it a try. The Honda 2000 fits nicely in my front hatch for storage. The 3000 would have to be in the truck bed full time..

it was 80 degrees fahrenheit, and I am at 200 feet above sea level. Plugged the cord into the Honda started it and turned Eco throttle off. So running at high idle, I went into the trailer turned the thermostat to cool.

Air Conditioner kicked on. It ran for a few minutes and it did trip the fault on the generator. I turned the air off, then the generator. Restarted it and then turned air conditioner back on. I thought for sure it wouldn't fire up the a/c after building pressure. Ran for 20 minutes, I finally shut it off, I am a believer..

Blowing cold air no problem. Did not switch the power converter circuit breaker off on the panel, but I did have the microwave off. So basically the generator was powering everything but light load except a/c..

The generator has been sitting, haven't started it for 6 months. No idle surge, high idle was pretty smooth and constant.

I used it on my old tango trailer for a 13,500 BTU a/c. No problems. I went on the roof to double check the option I had of 15,000 BTU a/c was actually a 13,500 by mistake.. It's a 15,000 BTU air conditioner...

So I camp several times a year at 4,000 feet above sea level. It will be interesting if it works there. Higher elevation should result in less performance.. As for why it works for me when others say no way... I have a friend with same Honda 2000 and he can't run his Coleman 13,500 BTU with it..

Just luck or is there anyone out there with same combo working or any idea as to why I had success?

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote