Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #21
ocbms

I have a EEZ T515

I like the system and have used for two 900 mile pulls. To and from Texas. I set the tire pressures at 80 PSIG at about 12 degrees F ambient and headed south. At Texarkana the ambient air was 50 degrees F when I started the day but in a couple hours I was in Dallas with air temps of 30 Degrees.
The changing Tire Pressure was quite alarming.
For the trip south the left side ran hotter and more pressure than the right, also the rear axle showed higher the front axle. I reasons that the wind was blowing on the right side possibly putting more weight on the left plus sun was on the left.
For the trip north I adjusted the pressure down to 80PSIG at about 45 degrees ambient and saw the same results without wind or sun.
It will be a month or so but I will be weighting the left and right sides (RV was weighted before traveling south) but I have to assume the left side (which has 3 slides and more storage for heavier food) heavier.
The bottom line is I wouldn't have known the extremes seem without the continual scrolling of all 12 tires. I know I have to do something before the hot weather or I might repeat last summer with China Bombs
2011 Ford F350 6.7 DRW CC LB
Previously had E350 Class C
ocbms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #22
ROLIN JOSEPH

Thanks, Festus2,W.E.BGood, and all others for info and opinions.
This should be easy. DW thinks these babies should be the law.
..Now, where the heck is my wallet?

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #23
SAABDOCTOR

THE flow through mount to the stem with an allen wrench (included) the other type have a special wrench that tightens them to the stem and the outer cover just spins. and YES you will need to rebalance the wheels once installed
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #24
SAABDOCTOR

on the subject of metal stems my truck has metal stems on the rear flow through type the other tires are on conventional stems. i have seen the photos by the op. i can assure you after two years i do not have the same issue. This spring I will upgrade to load range F tires and will go the metal stems.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #25
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Joe -

There is a small set screw (Allen wrench type) on the unit that you tighten to prevent the sensor from working itself loose. If someone really wants to steal a sensor the tightened set screw won't stop that but it will make it a bit more difficult for it to "go walking". It simply makes it a bit more difficult to steal.

If you are able, it is best to install the sensor first THEN get the tire balanced after it has been installed. If you do this, the tire should be balanced with the sensor already in place.
There are locking rings supplied for these transmitters to deter theft and/or prevent them from working loose. Yes, there is a small set screw maybe a better description would be "tiny" used to secure the locking ring to the stem using the supplied "tiny" (real technical ) Allen wrench. Although provided not sure they are actually recommended by these manufactures. I would think it would not take much corrosion/rust and you would no longer have to worry about theft, but how to you get them off. I have decided not to use them and after 7K miles never had any of my twelve transmitters work loose and yes lucky nobody has walked off with them. Like choice of TV decision I have made given the risks

Again my two cents on these locking rings. Highly recommend a TPMS for your TV and Trailer
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
T11ravis

More pics here as well: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...t=12449&page=2

Go for the metal stems.
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #27
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Was just reading a thread "CHECK THOSE LUG NUTS" Where a member was stopped on the road and told they had lost a wheel and these people had picked it up. The TPMS would have alerted them of a lost wheel "LOST SIGNAL" So I guess we can say TPMS monitors/tracks tire pressure , temperature, and also the number of wheels on your TV and Trailer Good to have all of them

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #28
fred1609

Great info....I get the message....I'm ordering the monitoring system for the tow vehicle and the 5er. And I guess I will add the metal stems well.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1609 View Post
Great info....I get the message....I'm ordering the monitoring system for the tow vehicle and the 5er. And I guess I will add the metal stems well.
Fred,
Or you could just chain all your wheels to the back bumper. That way is you lose one, it would just "drag along behind you" sort of like cans on a "just married car" only "industrial strength".............

Man, it's been a long LONG winter..... COME ON SPRING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #30
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

JOHN, be careful Keystone designers may be viewing forum comments. Will have to try this RAPTOR has an outside toy lock cable system, think it is long enough to loop through all the RAPTOR WHEELS :-((

Think we need to get some SUN up to you :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 03-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Bill, if that "toylock" is rated heavy enough for all 6 tires, GO FOR IT !!!

As for getting sun up to me, We've got sun, it's just so cold that the UV rays get frozen out if it before they can "heat anything up"

The pole barn door is slowly "thawing" Today, most of the refrozen ice from the cold snap 2 days ago has melted so we're back to where we were on Tuesday..... COME ON SPRING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #32
ToyTLH

I purchased a 2012 Raptor 300MP last fall and have used it a lot. Of course it still had the stock Towmax tires on. I've always pulled some kind of trailer but nothing this big and long. It has just two 7000 lb axles, so just four tires. I would prefer 6 tires to spread the load per tire.

I purchased a Truck Systems Technology TPMS, the 507 system with 4 flow through sensors for $259 straight from them.

Easy to setup and works great. I was having problems picking up one sensor signal. It was the passenger side rear most tire and I think it's signal's line of sight was being more obstructed by the stove, fridge, water heater, ect.

So I also purchased their repeater for $59. Now all four sensor signals register fine.

Anyways, if it starts to beep, pull over. The first time was a puncture, but it was too big to plug so we changed it and replaced it with the spare Towmax. My new tire is a Maxxis M8008 ST Radial - Part # TL30141000 Size 235/80R16 10 ply.

My last weekend trip the alarm went off, pulled over, and a different Towmax was coming apart at the side wall and the air was diffusing out. The slow leak detection works!

Without this system, I would be afraid you would have a tire problem, never see it, hear it, sense it, and drive to long and then it shreds and does damage to the fender well area. Or, destroys the nice rim in the process. Plus, now the other tire is now carrying more load. One more reason I feel 6 tires are better than 4 except the cost of getting a whole new set of tires. Plus, the 3 axles look cooler - oh my!

The TPMS system is the best investment that I made. My 2012 Chevy Duramax has its own tire monitor system.

Hope this helps people who are on the fence on whether to spend the money.
ToyTLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #33
lawdes

TPMS is a must! I bought the Tire Tracker last fall, and on first trip was flagged down by a car passing....had a flat tire! Pulled over and sure enough one tire was almost flat, but not blown. Put on spare and transferred the sensor, and later found had lost air in that one too. (Towmax). I concluded it was leaking thru the sensor. I replaced the sensor, and just finished a long trip with no leakage. Also installed and hard wired the booster inside the trailer. Wouldn't travel without them! Moral of the story...make sure they are on properly tightened, and not leaking!
lawdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #34
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdes View Post
TPMS is a must! I bought the Tire Tracker last fall, and on first trip was flagged down by a car passing....had a flat tire! Pulled over and sure enough one tire was almost flat, but not blown. Put on spare and transferred the sensor, and later found had lost air in that one too. (Towmax). I concluded it was leaking thru the sensor. I replaced the sensor, and just finished a long trip with no leakage. Also installed and hard wired the booster inside the trailer. Wouldn't travel without them! Moral of the story...make sure they are on properly tightened, and not leaking!

Not sure if you have a typo in your write-up, those two incidents highlighted in red and you got no notice from your TMPS?? I decided to go with "TIRE MINDER", given those identified cases in red, mine would have been alarming and flashing like crazy way before another person in another vehicle would have noticed. Based on the leak rate my TMPS would have identified the reason category such as small leak, blow out, etc. Unless I am reading this incorrectly sounds like in those incidents the TMPS failed you. I usually do I quick check, unscrew the sensor and in a couple of seconds monitor will start beeping, red indicator and condition symbol "BLOWOUT". The monitor seen a Hugh drop in pressure similar to a BLOW out and indicated as such. Slower drops in pressure over time would have alarmed as a different cause

As you mention and I stated in a previous post, my Tire Minder saved me a couple of times already. Would not go without it . My Tire Minder is monitoring 12 tires pressure and temperature.

Be Safe and Happy Camping

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 06-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #35
lawdes

I think tire minder and tire tracker are basically the same thing, just marketed under different names. I finally concluded (maybe correctly or not) that the reason my monitor didn't go off was perhaps the signal was too week. Trailer is 37' bow to stern. Put in a booster, and haven't had any problems. Also put on new sensor and haven't had any problems. So, guess it was prob combination of bad sensor or weak signal. they work now, and I feel good having them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #36
lawdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Not sure if you have a typo in your write-up, those two incidents highlighted in red and you got no notice from your TMPS?? I decided to go with "TIRE MINDER", given those identified cases in red, mine would have been alarming and flashing like crazy way before another person in another vehicle would have noticed. Based on the leak rate my TMPS would have identified the reason category such as small leak, blow out, etc. Unless I am reading this incorrectly sounds like in those incidents the TMPS failed you. I usually do I quick check, unscrew the sensor and in a couple of seconds monitor will start beeping, red indicator and condition symbol "BLOWOUT". The monitor seen a Hugh drop in pressure similar to a BLOW out and indicated as such. Slower drops in pressure over time would have alarmed as a different cause

As you mention and I stated in a previous post, my Tire Minder saved me a couple of times already. Would not go without it . My Tire Minder is monitoring 12 tires pressure and temperature.

Be Safe and Happy Camping
Oh, just figured out I think what you were referring to about a typo. TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) I think is what I wanted to type....who knows, I'm likely to type about anything accidentally!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #37
mjeronimo

Stock tpm's

Maybe this is silly but has anyone tried to use stock( identical to the ones onTV and install on TT) and use monitoring system on TV to monitor trailer tires and tow vehicle at the same time? Or would that send system into a tizzy, too many tires -distance to far- or? Just a thought.
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:15 AM   #38
bsmith0404

most TV systems are designed to monitor 4 tires. They are even programed to which corner of the TV they are on. When you rotate tires they have to be reprogrammed so they will identify them. Once you hit the 4th tire the system automatically cycles that the programming is complete. The cycle typically starts with the front drivers side tire and goes clockwise around the vehicle. In fact GM (not sure about Ford or Dodge) doesn't even put a system on duallys because there are too many wheels.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #39
Pmedic4

Tire Pressure monitoring systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
most TV systems are designed to monitor 4 tires. They are even programed to which corner of the TV they are on. When you rotate tires they have to be reprogrammed so they will identify them. Once you hit the 4th tire the system automatically cycles that the programming is complete. The cycle typically starts with the front drivers side tire and goes clockwise around the vehicle. In fact GM (not sure about Ford or Dodge) doesn't even put a system on duallys because there are too many wheels.
The TV monitoring systems are mandated on all vehicles less than 10,000 pounds, of all things by the "TREAD Act" (Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation - don't you love government acronyms!). Beside the 10,000 pound limit, it exempts vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating over 26,000 pounds, because they found the standard systems didn't work well with these heavy rated vehicles, which is why most Duallys don't have TPMS. Some interesting information about the TPMS rules and regulations, everyone should read.
Regarding your comment about rotating the tires, and reprogramming, for previous/current versions Dodge vehicles automatically sense the changed locations (after about 10 miles of driving) where the Ford and GM need to be reprogrammed manually. BTW, found that some places who rotate the tires charge for this reprogramming!!!! Simple to do, just look it up.

However, please check you vehicles owner manual - the forums information often last longer than information is accurate.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #40
bsmith0404

The GM ones are easy with the programmer and I've never been charged for the service, however if I ever had a place want to charge me I'd do it manually. Not sure on the Ford, but GM is done by going into the learn mode and letting 2 lbs of air out of the tire. The horn will sound once when the location is learned and then you move around the vehicle clockwise until all 4 are learned at which time the horn will sound twice. GM has been using this same method for as long as I can remember and on every vehicle I've owned with TPMS system.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote