Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2021, 05:37 AM   #1
jasin1

Lane choice

So I’m heading up 95 thru the Carolinas ..on the way down I was taking it easy for tv break in...what’s the opinion on which lane to use?..if I stay in the right lane when it’s only two lanes I’m relegated to all the pot holes. Do most of you drive in the fast lane and keep up with traffic ? Or stay in the right lane trying to dodge pot holes at a lower speed....which is worse for the tires? Pot holes or high speed? ...it really sucks the conditions of the roads thru different states
Old 03-06-2021, 06:07 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I guess first you have to define the speed of "keeping up with traffic"..Is that 65 to 70., 70 to 75, or 75 to ?... Big difference especially in relation to tire speed rating?..
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:20 AM   #3
dutchmensport

I've done both ... sort of. Except, I never go faster than 65. If I piss people off, I really don't care. Really! It's not about THEM ... it's about ME. I've invested over $100,000 in my camper and tow vehicle. I'll be damned if anyone expects me to drive it putting myself or others in danger. THEY are the one speeding in the fast lane. THEY are the ones breaking the law. Just because you do not get stopped by law enforcement for speeding, does not mean you are STILL not breaking the law.

No. for this VERY reason, we avoid interstates at all costs. Secondary roads are always less beat up, and traffic runs slower. I quit driving interstates more than 10 years ago. Every now and then, we have no choice. It seems they get worse and worse each year. As fast as possible without taking us too far out of our way, we exit the interstates. People are insane and they DON'T give a damn about you. Why should you give a damn about them. Drive secondary roads with your camper. Why be in such a hurry anyway!

Its should NEVER be about speed with our RV's. It should ALWAYS be about safety. If the road is to dangerous (speed or potholes), then drive a different road where it is safe. Simple as that.

Set your Tom-Tom or your Garmin for "No Interstates" and enjoy the drive once again!
Old 03-06-2021, 06:54 AM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I've done both ... sort of. Except, I never go faster than 65. If I piss people off, I really don't care. Really! It's not about THEM ... it's about ME. I've invested over $100,000 in my camper and tow vehicle. I'll be damned if anyone expects me to drive it putting myself or others in danger. THEY are the one speeding in the fast lane. THEY are the ones breaking the law. Just because you do not get stopped by law enforcement for speeding, does not mean you are STILL not breaking the law.

Its should NEVER be about speed with our RV's. It should ALWAYS be about safety. If the road is to dangerous (speed or potholes), then drive a different road where it is safe. Simple as that.

Set your Tom-Tom or your Garmin for "No Interstates" and enjoy the drive once again!
The statement in RED can really get you in trouble! First of all, most interstates now have 70 mph speed limits, that and hanging in the left lane not passing is also a against the law in most states.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The statement in RED can really get you in trouble! First of all, most interstates now have 70 mph speed limits, that and hanging in the left lane not passing is also a against the law in most states.
That red highlighted section is the attitude of most drivers nowadays, "me 1st, get the hell outa my way!".
I drive in whichever lane is the smoothest, watching in the mirrors for Johnny Speedracer so I can move over if necessary, then watch him give the one finger wave as he goes by if, God forbid, he had to slow below 90 for a second.
Towing through metro area I'll NEVER be in the right lane, too many idiots cutting you of while entering/exiting the roadway. I pick a center lane, or possibly the left, & go. With multiple lanes there's plenty of room for those that have to be one car ahead to go around.
How many times have you had that vehicle zipping in/out of traffic like they're dodging machine gun fire & then have them be the vehicle directly in front of you at the next signal?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:21 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

All the rude drivers I encounter get 153Db of train horn. It usually makes them take pause and crane their neck looking for the locomotive as I LMAO

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #7
formyfelinebabies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I usually stay out of threads like this but I can’t help myself this time.

I agree wholeheartedly with the reply to the selfish hypocrite quoted in red.

Do you know WHY the world has gone to pot and people are awful? Because of those people that have the ME mentality, the selfish, narcissistic masses that threw gentility and manners away and pushed themselves to the forefront as if only they matter.
The same one picking and choosing which rules / laws they will follow while condemning those that don’t do as they do.
What happened to common sense? If you are not blocking others there is nothing wrong with taking the better lane BUT that is not your right any more than causing problems for others.

JUST BE KIND
formyfelinebabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #8
kfxgreenie

Quote:
So it is okay for you to break the law and put more people in danger? Your reasoning is the exact reason many states have right lane laws. You slow traffic causing congestion and are an overall hazard to the road.

"According to state law, any vehicle traveling "at less than the normal speed of traffic" must be driven in the right-hand lane, or as close as practicable, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle. A citation for violating this law costs $213.10 and four points on a driver's license."
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #9
hornet28

I don't care what the conditions are. LEFT LANERS are a PIA. If the reason for running there is smoother travel great but move over when overtaken. It's already been said, in most states it's against the law and a great way to incite road rage. With an "It's all about me and to heck with everyone else" attitude I predict that sooner or later that person will be in trouble because of it
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Like many I'm sure, I used to drive many more miles in a car (company) than towing a trailer. Those that have/had the mentality of sticking in the left lane, for whatever reason, are the cause of much, if not most, of the road rage that happens in the highways. I've seen some really crazy stuff due to those folks, and lines stretching miles all clogged due to "that" guy that believes he owns the left lane; when in fact it is illegal and the signs on the highway, which they apparently can't read, say so.

As far as the right lane having all the pot holes, I've not seen that. Are some f them in worse shape? Yes. Is that just part of it? Yes. If I'm on a stretch of highway where the right lane is obviously in worse shape than the left and there is no traffic I will go to the left lane. If I do so I will keep my eyes open for folks coming up behind and get in the right lane long before they get to me so I'm not a hindrance - many people DO NOT like to either be behind, or have to follow, a truck pulling a bit camper.

As far as getting in the left lane and "stay" there while trying to mirror traffic I would just ask myself why. In TX that left lane will be running 80-85mph, are you really going to get out there and try to "go with the flow"? Go at 65 and stay out of the way unless the speed limit is lower....then slow down. It has nothing to do with anything but safety....of the RV owner and the other folks on the highway. I don't care what TV you have it will not control that RV at 70+ mph in an emergency.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:44 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Like many I'm sure, I used to drive many more miles in a car (company) than towing a trailer. Those that have/had the mentality of sticking in the left lane, for whatever reason, are the cause of much, if not most, of the road rage that happens in the highways. I've seen some really crazy stuff due to those folks, and lines stretching miles all clogged due to "that" guy that believes he owns the left lane; when in fact it is illegal and the signs on the highway, which they apparently can't read, say so.

As far as the right lane having all the pot holes, I've not seen that. Are some f them in worse shape? Yes. Is that just part of it? Yes. If I'm on a stretch of highway where the right lane is obviously in worse shape than the left and there is no traffic I will go to the left lane. If I do so I will keep my eyes open for folks coming up behind and get in the right lane long before they get to me so I'm not a hindrance - many people DO NOT like to either be behind, or have to follow, a truck pulling a bit camper.

As far as getting in the left lane and "stay" there while trying to mirror traffic I would just ask myself why. In TX that left lane will be running 80-85mph, are you really going to get out there and try to "go with the flow"? Go at 65 and stay out of the way unless the speed limit is lower....then slow down. It has nothing to do with anything but safety....of the RV owner and the other folks on the highway. I don't care what TV you have it will not control that RV at 70+ mph in an emergency.
Yep...... I agree
Old 03-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
G Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
So it is okay for you to break the law and put more people in danger? Your reasoning is the exact reason many states have right lane laws. You slow traffic causing congestion and are an overall hazard to the road.

"According to state law, any vehicle traveling "at less than the normal speed of traffic" must be driven in the right-hand lane, or as close as practicable, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle. A citation for violating this law costs $213.10 and four points on a driver's license."
What does "normal speed of traffic" mean. i.e. if the posted speed LIMIT is 60 mph does that mean that it is ok to follow the fellow ahead of me who is doing 80 mph because both of us and the ten guys doing the same behind us are now setting the "normal speed of traffic". is Speed LIMIT a requirement of is it only a suggestion?
Old 03-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Giroux View Post
What does "normal speed of traffic" mean. i.e. if the posted speed LIMIT is 60 mph does that mean that it is ok to follow the fellow ahead of me who is doing 80 mph because both of us and the ten guys doing the same behind us are now setting the "normal speed of traffic". is Speed LIMIT a requirement of is it only a suggestion?
In many (maybe in most) states, that's exactly what it means:

This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right. Contrast Alaska's rule, 13 AAC 002.50, allowing vehicles driving at the speed limit to use the left lane, and Colorado rev. stat. 42-4-1103, prohibiting blocking the "normal and reasonable" movement of traffic.

Here's a link to a list of "all state laws" that might shed some light on the topic: https://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #14
brodavefla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
In many (maybe in most) states, that's exactly what it means:

This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right. Contrast Alaska's rule, 13 AAC 002.50, allowing vehicles driving at the speed limit to use the left lane, and Colorado rev. stat. 42-4-1103, prohibiting blocking the "normal and reasonable" movement of traffic.

Here's a link to a list of "all state laws" that might shed some light on the topic: https://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Great link. Thanks John; I've bookmarked it. Being an RV newbie, but someone who's driven many miles over the years, I've followed this thread with interest. As a tv driver pulling a large tt, I've tried to drive like the better truck drivers I've observed or shared an Interstate with. My goal is to stay at/below 65 mph (when the speed limit is 65 or 70), though I occasionally accelerate briefly to finish a pass or get away from a "clog" of vehicles all driving about the same mph. (Can't stand being in those clogs.) I wouldn't say that common courtesy & common sense in drivers are uncommon, but I would say that some folks have it, and some don't. The golden rule applies (or should), as it does most everywhere else.
brodavefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:33 AM   #15
tjhoosier

Normal Speed of traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Giroux View Post
In Indiana, it means what ever the speed is of the traffic flow. Even if everyone in the left lane is running over the speed limit. In other words, if you're holding up traffic by running 60 in a 60 zone, you're in violation of the law. Move over and drive with courtesy. Not nearly enough of that going on these days.
tjhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:40 AM   #16
notanlines

TJ, from Indiana code:
"Sec. 7 . (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law.  A person who is driving:

(1) on a roadway that has not more than one (1) lane of traffic in each direction;  and

(2) at a slow speed so that three (3) or more other vehicles are blocked and cannot pass on the left around the vehicle;

shall give right-of-way to the other vehicles by pulling off to the right of the right lane at the earliest reasonable opportunity and allowing the blocked vehicles to pass.

Here's another reference to Indiana's 'slow-poke' law:
https://www.lawfirms.com/resources/a...slow-poke-laws

My point is you can't speed on Indiana's roads just because everyone else does.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #17
KarenK

Quote:
I've done both ... sort of. Except, I never go faster than 65. If I piss people off, I really don't care. Really! It's not about THEM ... it's about ME. I've invested over $100,000 in my camper and tow vehicle. I'll be damned if anyone expects me to drive it putting myself or others in danger. THEY are the one speeding in the fast lane. THEY are the ones breaking the law.
Well, technically it IS breaking the law to drive in the passing lane in MI on the interstate.... know people who have been ticketed for it. Left lane is for passing only. If the road is that bad, slow down or exit and find another route. I use the passing lane for passing and then move back over, if the flow of traffic is faster than my cruising speed I'll speed up a tad to mesh in with it, not a ridiculous amount but 5 mph is fine. Comfortable at 70-72 but my set up is not a mammoth either. Speed limits are 75 in many places which makes many drive 82 without fear of a speeding ticket.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #18
rhagfo

Well I would base that on the speed each lane was traveling, you will always find someone wanting to do 85 in a 70 zone. I don't worry about tire speed as I have LT tires on the 5er rated at 103 mph, so if I need to run a little faster to stay with traffic I can.
It would also depend on the volume of traffic, if light and you can move right to allow a speed racer by fine. If heavy a bit of a crap shoot, the right lane might be held to a little bit faster than the right and you can hang there. The issue with that is that you will have those that just can't be behind a trailer, and will cut to the right at the first opening, and try to squeeze in in front of you!!!
Use your best judgment!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:41 AM   #19
NH_Bulldog

I use whatever lane is the smoothest, but balance that with prevailing traffic. In many states it is unlawful to loiter in the left lane unless you are actively passing someone, but if there is light traffic and no one is stacking up behind me, I will keep to the left if it is a better ride. It is also not unlawful in most states to pass on the right as long as you remain in the travel lane of two or more lanes going in the same direction (no using the breakdown lane to pass).

The concrete joints on I-69 between Port Huron and Flint, MI used to jar your dental work in the right lane, so I kept to the left and let people pass on the right if they wanted to get by bad enough.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:44 AM   #20
jasin1

I will try and balance it.. I don’t go over 70 and that’s only in extreme situations. Thanks