Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
esmoglo

New factory tires keep or not?

My Passport is a 2016 2810BH has less than 2500 miles on the stock factory tires and they look just fine no issues. I have good friend that keeps hounding me saying they are crap and to change them to Maxxis. Now I know my buddy has my best interest at heart but the tires are new, he keeps referring to blowout issues with stock factory tires. Should I change them if so why? Stock tires from Keystone are bad? What am I missing here?
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

What brand tires and what size are they?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #3
GaryWT

Some people have had issues with blowouts, others have not. If you keep them inflated correctly and keep the speed down you should be ok but one never knows when a blowout will happen.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Some people have had issues with blowouts, others have not. If you keep them inflated correctly and keep the speed down you should be ok but one never knows when a blowout will happen.
You hit the nail on the head. Inflation and speed. That says it all. Keep them inflated and keep to speed tires are rated for. No matter the brand.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:33 AM   #5
dcg9381

No one is going to argue that it's a best practice to keep them inflated to proper psi per load and run them under 65 mph.

I'm guilty of running over 65mph. There are conditions where I feel it's simply not safe to be moving 15 mph slower than most traffic.

I tossed my factory tires. Here's what helped me make a decision:
1) Look up the DOT code on the tires. Determine if they are made in China. China doesn't mean that they're bad, but it's an indicator that you want to dig a little more.

2) What does your trailer actually weigh in at? On mine, the factory tires were at 85% of their rated capacity, assuming that the trailer was perfectly balanced and towed completely flat. In absence of perfect balance, in cross winds, or during cornering, it's likely that my tires were over rated capacity.

3) You can lookup complaints on your brand and size - but often China tires tend to change name.

For me, if tires are at 75% or greater of their rating and are off-brand from China, I'm replacing. A blown tire simply does too much damage.

BTW, I've had Goodyear tires go too, so there is no perfect solution..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:09 AM   #6
Mike484

Get them balanced too.

Next time you stop at a truck stop that has a service bay and restaraunt, ask if they can check the balance on your tires while your eating lunch.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:44 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
The above is an accurate statement. The word SHOULD is the critical point. I kept (keep) my tires at the recommended psi religiously. I don't drive over 65mph. The tires are covered when parked for long periods and are in a enclosed storage facility when not in use. I do a walk around at every gas stop checking the tires and wheels. All of this including having all tires pulled and inspected by a local tire dealer before departing Monday (they said the tires were in "excellent" condition). 50 miles out the tread completely separated from the tire as if it was never attached to the carcass.

All that to just say if you think that because you keep your tires aired up and check them, it absolutely means nothing when it's time for the tire to "go" for whatever reason. I'm afraid you will be in for a big surprise.

Although it appears there is no rhyme or reason to the failures and some folks have good luck and some don't I think there may be some common denominators. 1) Tires that are put on the trailer that just barely cover the weight of the trailer (mine is one) resulting in overweight conditions when traveling over a highway like I20 in Shreveport, which I've done multiple times, 2) poor/inferior construction materials or methods used in China. I know there are specs that all tires have to meet for sale in the U.S. but the evidence is irrefutable that the Chinese tires fail dismally. I have had two independent, knowledgeable people look at the tire that came off my trailer and both agreed that the tire just wasn't constructed as it should have been, 3) folks fail to adhere to the requirement of maintaining pressure and speed while not looking at their tires frequently and 4) those that tend to want to stretch the life of the tire beyond its intended lifespan.

I think if you did all of the things a person could do to minimize a tire "event" you would still be susceptible to the "no rhyme or reason". IMO if you bought 5 Trailer King tires today you would have a 50/50 chance of a tire destructing by 2 years. That's just my opinion - I know how I take care of stuff and know our issue was definitely not manmade.

The unfortunate thing is nearly all trailer tires are made in China. Carlisle has a new one out that says it's made in the USA and Maxxis is made in Thailand. The Maxxis reviews are stellar compared to all of the rest. I am having 5 new Carlisle's put on our trailer as I write because I couldn't wait for the Maxxis tires to be shipped in. I hope/anticipate they will last this year, and next year, when we aren't under pressure to get to FL, I will have a set of Maxxis ordered and put on. It seems a waste but I am now phobic about the tires on the trailer and can't stand to constantly be on pins and needles every second while I'm driving; I want to enjoy the trip and not be worried all the time. Just my 2 cents.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #8
Desert185

Quote:
I dunno if that's the complete equation for success. I think there's at least a third part. Tire brand. I think buying the right tire (Maxxis or Carlisle or Sailun), proper inflation, remaining below the tire's speed rating and, of course, balancing said tire is about all anyone can do to shift the odds in one's favor.

One starts out handicapped when buying a new trailer because of the tire brand and the fact that they aren't balanced. What happens during the tow to the dealer is another factor, as in were the tires inflated properly and was the tire speed rating adhered to? One of the first things I did was change the tires and install a wetbolt kit when I got it home. Maybe not wallet comfortable, but comforting for the psyche.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #9
CWtheMan

It’s very hard to put a finger - so to speak - on the causes for so many bad reports on Original Equipment RV trailer tires. IMO, misuse from the factory to you may be the largest cause. Without knowing the history of the tires it’s all guess work, mainly because there are very seldom any accompanying, or factual information about the cause of the failures. My first question is, were your tires properly inflated when you took possession of your trailer? If you did not check them until you got home with the unit you have already contributed to an early failure condition if they were under-inflated. Were they aired properly when they left the factory? Did the dealer insure they were properly inflated? Usually they just gloss them for looks.

Another contributing factor for early failure is the size and load capacity of the Original Equipment tires. RV trailer manufacturers will use appropriately sized tires/rims. But, sometimes those tires are going to be used very close to their maximum load capacities which causes them to rapidly lose their ability to support the load, hence, an early tire or 2,3,4 failure (s).

There are many thousands of RV trailer owners that never have any problems with their OE tires. From that, I surmise, that when properly cared for and not abused, OE tires will meet their 3-5 year life cycle without fail.

Bottom line: The load capacity of your OE tires are marginal, at best. The easiest upgrade option for you is to move up to the ST215/75R14C when it’s replacement time. It’s about ½” taller than the OE tires and has the same 50 PSI inflation as the OE tires. Your owner’s manual is going to tell you to use the same size tires that cam on it or any options they recommend.

Sorry, I shy away from brand recommendations unless there is a unique size sold by a single brand name.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:50 PM   #10
buzzcop63

Purchased our trailer new in March of 2012, unit came with ST225/75RF15 LR D Power King tires with 3,400 miles on them at present and a manufacturing date of Nov 2011. I purchased Tire Minder and monitor all four tires on our trailer due to reading so many problems with China tires. To date my tires have given me no problem but by monitoring the Tire Minder I have been made aware that traveling over 55 MPH that the temperature rises as well as the tires PSI. Every stop we take I do a walk around to check truck and trailer tires by hand for heat, physical damage as well as the trailers wheel bearings. Tires are kept covered when in storage but do sit on Asphalt for 5 or more months during the winter. These tire are rated at 2,540Lb at 65PSI, trailer scale weight while attached to truck is 5,500Lb, and each tire caring approximately 1,375Lb which would leave 46% of the tires weight capacity unused. Have talked to several tire dealers, sales people and those putting on the tires and their advice is keep inflated to proper PSI and drive at moderate speed, these tire professionals say its speed, low pressure and physical damage to the tire causing blow outs. Consider that the closer a tire is to its weight limit the more every bounce the tire takes may shoot the weight over its limit.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:52 AM   #11
esmoglo

Checked my tires yesterday giving them a good look over PSI was at 45per tire so I think they were properly inflated since I've had the unit since October 5PSI loss is normal. I am guilty of travelling at 70MPH though did not know 65MPH was the limit..... my passport has 14inch tires I may just replace them with the maxxis trailer tires and be done with it & sell off the used set on craigslist?
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #12
RLM5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
Purchased our trailer new in March of 2012, unit came with ST225/75RF15 LR D Power King tires with 3,400 miles on them at present and a manufacturing date of Nov 2011.
The age of the tire alone would be reason to replace them soon. Sounds like you have taken good care of them.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote