Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #1
Mike484

X-Chock VS. OneStep

I realize that the SteadyFast stabilizer is probably the best stabilizer system, but I'm wanting to go with the X-Chock or OneStep. I'm curious what others opinions/experiences are with the X-Chocks and the OneStep chocks and which seems to provide the best stabilization.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
CWSWine

I'm also interested in the comments. I had X-Chocks and didn't think they help all that much with the movement. I traded 5er and the X-Chocks won't fit between the wheels so I sold them. Now we have traded 5er again and bought the OneStep that will be here today for trip to Tucson. If you use X-Chocks you still have to use chocks behind the wheel and with the one step act as chocks also.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:00 AM   #3
Desert185

SteadyFast and the simplicity and ease of use of the OneStep chock for us. Step vs cranking. Seems like a no-brainer.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
Mike484

How well does the OneStep work on soft or unlevel ground? This is the advantage I think the X-Chock has.

And yes, I was just about to purchase the X-Chock but when I looked at the OneStep, I thought the same, much easier to use and probalby will fit in the storage compartment better.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
How well does the OneStep work on soft or unlevel ground? This is the advantage I think the X-Chock has.

And yes, I was just about to purchase the X-Chock but when I looked at the OneStep, I thought the same, much easier to use and probalby will fit in the storage compartment better.
It hinges sufficiently to adapt to uneven and soft terrain. I haven't had any issues with it. I keep mine in the back of the truck, because it has a tendency to gather mud or dirt.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Mike484

Thanks Desert, very helpful info. At this point, I'm leaning towards the OneStep. Even if they do gather dirt and mud, I can always put them in the truck until I can clean them up.

Do they help much with stabilization?

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 03-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
4LowNGo

I have the one step and it's so quick n simple to use. Can't comment on the x-chock but people seem to like them as well
Old 03-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
pgokou

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
pgokou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #9
Tbos

X chocks helped stabilize my 238ML. It made it livable without buying an expensive stabilizing system. I've been in sites where one side is up on enough blocks that I don't think one step would work at all. My 2810's axles are too far apart to use my current x-chocks. However, the larger TT seems more stable to start.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
X chocks helped stabilize my 238ML. It made it livable without buying an expensive stabilizing system. I've been in sites where one side is up on enough blocks that I don't think one step would work at all. My 2810's axles are too far apart to use my current x-chocks. However, the larger TT seems more stable to start.
If blocks are needed for leveling on one side, use the OneStep on the other side.

The stabilization, in my experience, is needed on the sprung weight of the trailer (both laterally and vertically), not the unsprung weight. The "labor intensive" X-Chocks, which only control longitudinal movement of the tires, are ineffective for that task, as are the much easier to apply and remove OneStep chocks.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #11
Tbos

The x-chock helped stop some of the front to back movement we had on our 25' Passport 238ML. I bought them on sale and was very satisfied. They didn't stop it all but it certainly slowed down the front to back rocking.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I am thinking about adding these once we see how stable our new camper is next week when it comes in. Thanks for all insights into the issue.

I use my electric drill with a socket on it to lower and raise my stabilizer jacks. No crank handle for this guy. I would use that for the lock nut on the BAL LA. This seems like a no brainier: easy to install, easy to deploy, increases stability, and has a good price point. I saw them on Amazon for $71/kit.

I could live with that!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #13
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I am thinking about adding these once we see how stable our new camper is next week when it comes in. Thanks for all insights into the issue.

I use my electric drill with a socket on it to lower and raise my stabilizer jacks. No crank handle for this guy. I would use that for the lock nut on the BAL LA. This seems like a no brainier: easy to install, easy to deploy, increases stability, and has a good price point. I saw them on Amazon for $71/kit.

I could live with that!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I use my cordless drill to put my jacks up and down too. I did not have enough clearance to use it the X-chocks. Once you get them close you don't have to totally close them each time. The wrenches that come with them are ratcheting. That helps too.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #14
Mike484

Bought the one step chocks because they seem to be easier to use than the X-Chocks and from what I have been hearing, the Chocks will only help with fore and aft movement, IF installed properly. I will try them in two weeks when we begin our trip (taking a 10-11 day trip to Florida with many stops along the way).

Also bought one set of the BAL Lock-Arm stabilizers. I put both arms on the rear in the side to side position (as opposed to one side by side and one fore and aft). I lowered the stabilizing jacks and with the arms unlocked, I could easily rock the trailer with just one hand. Then I locked the bars and tried to rock the trailer, pushed with both arms and leaned against it, I couldn't see hardly any movement. I will take pictures later (left before I thought of it) and post.

I'll give a full report when we make our trip but so far, for $75 a set and about 30 minutes time to install, I don't know why everyone isn't putting a set of stabilizer bars on their rig.

I chose the BAL stabilizers just because of the cost, you can buy one set of two bars for about $75 then add more later if you want. The SteadyFast and the Lippert appear to be more expensive at about $250, but they are both a set of 3, 6 bars each, so the cost is actually about the same. It's all about what you prefer, but they all do the same thing. I would highly recommend useing stabilizer bars as they WILL stabilize your rig.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 AM   #15
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike484 View Post
Bought the one step chocks because they seem to be easier to use than the X-Chocks and from what I have been hearing, the Chocks will only help with fore and aft movement, IF installed properly. I will try them in two weeks when we begin our trip (taking a 10-11 day trip to Florida with many stops along the way).

Also bought one set of the BAL Lock-Arm stabilizers. I put both arms on the rear in the side to side position (as opposed to one side by side and one fore and aft). I lowered the stabilizing jacks and with the arms unlocked, I could easily rock the trailer with just one hand. Then I locked the bars and tried to rock the trailer, pushed with both arms and leaned against it, I couldn't see hardly any movement. I will take pictures later (left before I thought of it) and post.

I'll give a full report when we make our trip but so far, for $75 a set and about 30 minutes time to install, I don't know why everyone isn't putting a set of stabilizer bars on their rig.

I chose the BAL stabilizers just because of the cost, you can buy one set of two bars for about $75 then add more later if you want. The SteadyFast and the Lippert appear to be more expensive at about $250, but they are both a set of 3, 6 bars each, so the cost is actually about the same. It's all about what you prefer, but they all do the same thing. I would highly recommend useing stabilizer bars as they WILL stabilize your rig.

Which BAL setup did you purchase and where? I think I might be interested in these as well...
Old 03-14-2016, 05:23 AM   #16
Mike484

I bought the BAL Lock-Arm bars, simply because I could buy just one set rather than having to purchase the entire three set system.

The Lippert looks almost identical, the SteadyFast looks to be a bit beefier. I didnt need the beefier because I have a light weight trailer (5500#s dry weight) but if you have a much larger rig, beefier would probably be better for you.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tabilizer+bars

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500