Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-11-2023, 07:15 PM   #1
MikesKeystone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: SLO
Posts: 15
Inverter Loop Failure

Hi All! I have a 2021 Keystone Passport 221BHWE with Renogy 2000w inverter, Xantrex Transfer Switch, and Victron Solar Charger. All has worked flawlessly for 1 year.

For the first time a few weeks ago, I turned on the inverter when the Keystone Giggy Box 12v disconnect was on (so the 12v was disconnected). I immediately heard some clicking from the front of the trailer (I was standing inside at the front door...it sounded like it was inside the front cap or in the ceiling...it could have been echoing from the inverter inside in the front pass-thru storage...because it does click when it faults).

The inverter immediately faulted and stopped working. I can't remember what the fault was that day, but after resetting it, it worked. Sporadically, I've been getting the yellow GF fault since then (which means theres a problem with the GFCI outlets). Today, I got the red fault (which means either too much voltage, too low, too much load, , short circuit...). When I plugged into shore power, my house's GFCI breaker tripped. It only trips when the GFCI circuit/inverter loop breaker is on.

I tested each of the 5 outlets on the inverter loop and found that one of the two romex wires (the hot end of the loop? I dont know) at the bathroom GFCI outlet has continuity between the positive and negative wires. Beyond that, I'm above my pay grade as to figuring out what's causing it, and how to find the location of the problem.

Can anyone help?
MikesKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 12:15 PM   #2
MikesKeystone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: SLO
Posts: 15
Update

After more troubleshooting, there's no more continuity at the bathroom outlet. Weird.

The connections at the transfer switch are fine.

Is the clicking coming from the transfer switch?
MikesKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 01:52 PM   #3
RV Vacation
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Erie
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesKeystone View Post
After more troubleshooting, there's no more continuity at the bathroom outlet. Weird.

The connections at the transfer switch are fine.

Is the clicking coming from the transfer switch?
Hello Mike, sorry to hear of your problem, that just plain sucks.


Can you determine which wire is the "feed" to the GFI and which wire is the "down stream" to the other receptacles?

Going out on a limb and guessing the "romex" you tested continuity on is the "down stream feed. The continuity could have been caused by any appliance/lamp/etc. plugged into those receptacles.

Also, is there an outside receptacle that may have gotten wet?
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 02:59 PM   #4
MikesKeystone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: SLO
Posts: 15
I wasn't able to determine the feed wire, but I'll check it again when I'm in there.

There weren't any appliances plugged into the outlets, but that continuity was gone this morning, oddly.

There is an outdoor outlet that was caulked/sealed just a few weeks ago. That outlet tested fine yesterday and today.

I've ready that the inverter sometimes gives false faults, but this happens with the inverter disconnected. I wonder if the transfer switch failed?
MikesKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 05:23 PM   #5
MikesKeystone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: SLO
Posts: 15
It's back@ lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230912_182125.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	45121  
MikesKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 05:44 PM   #6
MikesKeystone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: SLO
Posts: 15
I just found the same resistance rating at the breaker, which is off. So, Isn't the inverter loop supposed to run directly from the breaker to the front pass-thru storage where it's connected to the transfer switch, then to the inverted outlets?
MikesKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:00 AM   #7
RV Vacation
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Erie
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesKeystone View Post
I wasn't able to determine the feed wire, but I'll check it again when I'm in there.

There weren't any appliances plugged into the outlets, but that continuity was gone this morning, oddly.

There is an outdoor outlet that was caulked/sealed just a few weeks ago. That outlet tested fine yesterday and today.

I've ready that the inverter sometimes gives false faults, but this happens with the inverter disconnected. I wonder if the transfer switch failed?
I am no electrician by any means but GFIs are very sensitive as you probably know.

You had continuity on the GFI circuit but it since has cleared, so I suspect the GFI sensed a fault and opened. Your outside receptacle, I am guessing is on that same GFI circuit and if wet, could show continuity, pending the sensitivity of your testing device. When the outside receptacle dried a bit, no more continuity to ground, and the fault would clear.

Also, GFI's do go bad and will not reset.

As for your transfer switch, I doubt that would show the continuity you saw on the GFI circuit.

Certainly looks to be a mind bender. I can only wish I was on sight to help figure this one out.

Good luck and do let us know what you find wrong.

Be well and safe travels.

John
RV Vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:23 AM   #8
MikesKeystone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: SLO
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vacation View Post
I am no electrician by any means but GFIs are very sensitive as you probably know.

You had continuity on the GFI circuit but it since has cleared, so I suspect the GFI sensed a fault and opened. Your outside receptacle, I am guessing is on that same GFI circuit and if wet, could show continuity, pending the sensitivity of your testing device. When the outside receptacle dried a bit, no more continuity to ground, and the fault would clear.

Also, GFI's do go bad and will not reset.

As for your transfer switch, I doubt that would show the continuity you saw on the GFI circuit.

Certainly looks to be a mind bender. I can only wish I was on sight to help figure this one out.

Good luck and do let us know what you find wrong.

Be well and safe travels.

John
Thanks. It's above my pay grade, so I'll play around with it, but ultimately get a professional.
MikesKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 01:13 PM   #9
RagingRobert
Senior Member
 
RagingRobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Ajax
Posts: 300
It all sounds very complicated...if things don't work when I plug in I check breakers, fuses, and GFI's...after that I'll need help or an electrician. What else could it be but a loose connection or a faulty inverter thingy
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 01:17 PM   #10
MikesKeystone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: SLO
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingRobert View Post
It all sounds very complicated...if things don't work when I plug in I check breakers, fuses, and GFI's...after that I'll need help or an electrician. What else could it be but a loose connection or a faulty inverter thingy
Yep, it's above my YouTube video pay grade! 🤣 Thanks
MikesKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:42 AM   #11
RSN NV
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Pahrump
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesKeystone View Post
Yep, it's above my YouTube video pay grade! 🤣 Thanks
Hi Mike, Have you tried disconnecting the GFI outlet to see if that is the problem. replace it with a new outlet, you may just have a GFI outlet that has gone bad. I have had a similar problem in the past.

Bob
RSN NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 06:55 AM   #12
MikesKeystone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: SLO
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSN NV View Post
Hi Mike, Have you tried disconnecting the GFI outlet to see if that is the problem. replace it with a new outlet, you may just have a GFI outlet that has gone bad. I have had a similar problem in the past.

Bob
Hi Bob, yes I did. That didn't resolve it.
MikesKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 12:08 PM   #13
RacerX
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 35
Hi, we have a different set up so take this suggestion with a grain of salt.
In our 2022 400i I had problems with the inverted loop a while back and after pondering it a while I remembered that I had “forgotten” that this set up actually has two GFCI circuits. The one in the bath but also an easily overlooked one in the Bedroom on the first of the 7 inverted loop outlets. (The outlet closest to the inverter which is in the passthru storage.). Turned out my wife accidentally tripped it trying to plug in her phone in the dark.

Is it possible that you have a second GFCI that also got tripped when your other GFCI circuits (home and trailer got tripped?)

If this makes no sense….just ignore.

Good luck finding the problem!
__________________
2022 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32RLI with Solarflex 400i
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 01:29 PM   #14
MikesKeystone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: SLO
Posts: 15
Thanks for the info.

That might be a cause, when plugged into the house, because one of the outlets on that house circuit has a gfi and it tripped once.

The problem happens when running on the inverter, though, with no other gfi outlet.

I've mapped out the branches in the circuit and replacing and testing each outlet, one at a time. So far, so good, but we're not at the gfi yet in the bathroom. I wonder why your bedroom outlet has gfi?

Haven't ruled out the converter yet. The internet says it gets wonky and causes problems with gfi sometimes. I'm getting some weird readings at the breaker when testing it...there's continuity between hot and neutral when the converter breaker is on, and with no 110v power of course. I'm waiting on WFCO tech support on that one.
MikesKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 01:52 PM   #15
RacerX
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 35
The GFCI receptacle in our bath protects near the sink and is where most rigs have their primary GFCI if there is only one in the trailer. Our Cougar has a second GFCI which provides protection for the inverted loop which includes the outdoor plug which is also usually protected by GFCI like the bathroom sink plug. Unfortunately this second (in the bedroom) GFCI plug is so color coordinated that I didn’t notice it was a GFCI receptacle. When tripped, my inverted circuits were interrupted and I had to do a logic trace to figure out why everything on the inverter was dead. (First thought was that I did something with a setting in the inverter….actual cause was much simpler.). Again, good luck! And here’s hoping you have one of those “oh jeeze!” problem found moments.
__________________
2022 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32RLI with Solarflex 400i
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 03:04 PM   #16
MikesKeystone
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: SLO
Posts: 15
👍👍 thanks.
MikesKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
inverter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.