Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2022, 09:33 PM   #1
cbatsford

Solar Panels Briefcase added to SolarFlex 200

My Cougar came with SolarFlex 200. Zamp 200 watt panel, 75/15 Victronenergy controller, standard lead battery. Prewired for converter.

I am looking to leg into the solar thing without going all out $$$ up front...a nice slow glide....so...

Based on my fridge (8ish amps) being the only real hurdle, I figure my first step/requirement for minimal boondocking is a 200 amp hr battery, with approx 400-600 total watts in panels (manual, mounted combo).

If I use a portable briefcase (assuming keep it w Zamp product) panel and plug into solar plug on side of unit, do I need to get one with a built in controller - or will the existing controller manage via the existing wiring? I.e. is the side plugin fully integrated into the controller? (Amps may be an issue adding more panels as current controller maxs out at 15)

I am also looking into AGM batteries, as I know this only works with enough battery.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2022, 05:06 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your portable panel should have its own built in controller. Unless things have changed the side ports are not wired to the existing controller.

I’ll leave the battery discussion to those with more experience, I don’t boondock so my lead acid batteries are enough for me.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar