Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2022, 09:19 AM   #21
Camp CA

Know what you mean..........my Keystone Montana came with a heat pump and fireplace as standared so that is what we use to heat the trailer with periodic gas furnace run-in. Plus it came with a gas/propane water heater as standard which we exclusively run on electric.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:56 AM   #22
oldnjrver

Electric vs propane heat

We don't do much cold weather camping, but have been out when temps fell into the 30's.

For our Aspen Trail 1900 RB we found that using a small 1500 watt box type fan heater worked but temp control adjustment was trial and error. Our propane furnace held the set temperature perfectly.

I broke down and purchased a plug in gadget (econohome model TH-926T)with a built in thermostat on Amazon. So we plug in the gadget and plug our electric heater into the gadget and set the temperature. This setup now holds the temp using the electric heater at the set temp "right on the money", allowing us to be comfortable using either propane or electric.

Safe travels and all the best..
oldnjrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #23
VitoJCongineJr

Propane vs Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
We are looking forward to our next outing this coming week. The weather is expected to be only down to the mid 40's in the mornings. Up to about mid 60's for a high. Oh heck yeah!! Perfect weather! We bought our Alpine 3650RL in December of 2020 and to date we have only used ONE tank of propane due to our installation of an electric water heater and an electric central heat unit. These are two UPGRADES that others might want to consider to improve their camping experience. We only camp at sites that have 50 amp shore power. Certainly not a "boondocking" option. Some may have called my Alpine Custom Upgrades to be a "hack job" with ZERO resale value but I am betting that a LOT of RVr's would LOVE to enjoy these comforts.
The deciding factor(s) in my humble opinion are safety and cost. I do not trust LP in my Rig, especially while sleeping, or our dogs in the rig alone, while were away sightseeing, or going out for a meal without them. I removed the LP fridge as well. There is just something about a fireplace still running while I'm not in attendance that scares the bajebees out of me. We prefer to use ceramic oscillating heaters. We have traveled in the early winter and have found they are very efficient, even too efficient, having to turn them down.
Now that I have given you my take on the safety issue here is my take on the costs. If you are staying at a RV park short term (not a full time resident) it is likely you will be paying for your spot that will include your water/waste/electric. So with that in mind why would you want to pay for extra LP cost to run your on board heater. You will need the LP Gas for hot water. Instant hot water heaters are absolutely awesome by the way.
So in conclusion there is my take. On a side note if you're boondocking run run your generator, (hopefully you have one) you will need to in for basic luxeries any way. Tons of scenarios that can be debated, but we hope this was helpful.
VitoJCongineJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:57 PM   #24
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitoJCongineJr View Post
The deciding factor(s) in my humble opinion are safety and cost. I do not trust LP in my Rig, especially while sleeping, or our dogs in the rig alone, while were away sightseeing, or going out for a meal without them. I removed the LP fridge as well. There is just something about a fireplace still running while I'm not in attendance that scares the bajebees out of me. We prefer to use ceramic oscillating heaters. We have traveled in the early winter and have found they are very efficient, even too efficient, having to turn them down.
Now that I have given you my take on the safety issue here is my take on the costs. If you are staying at a RV park short term (not a full time resident) it is likely you will be paying for your spot that will include your water/waste/electric. So with that in mind why would you want to pay for extra LP cost to run your on board heater. You will need the LP Gas for hot water. Instant hot water heaters are absolutely awesome by the way.
So in conclusion there is my take. On a side note if you're boondocking run run your generator, (hopefully you have one) you will need to in for basic luxeries any way. Tons of scenarios that can be debated, but we hope this was helpful.

if your worried about safety then you should really have a dedicated 20 amp outlet for your space heater…12-2 romex connected to the outlet with screw terminals …i would use a single outlet so your not tempted to plug other things into it at the same time….you would be surprised at how flimsy the receptacle is that your plugging your heater into for the sake of safety over propane.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:24 PM   #25
notanlines

" I do not trust LP in my Rig, especially while sleeping, or our dogs in the rig alone, while were away sightseeing, or going out for a meal without them. I removed the LP fridge as well."
I know I can't change your mind concerning propane. I could never change my father's mind about flying commercially. And he was a paratrooper in the Army. The fear is there, rational or not, and it won't go away. I'm that way with the possibility of a beer shortage. Yes, just a little humor.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:57 PM   #26
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Plug in heater

Quote:
Before I installed an electric heat unit, I had been using several plug -n electric space heaters but there were not enough circuits to handle more than 3. I solved that problem by installing a dedicated circuit with dedicated plugs on the interior wall and plugged 2 heaters into that circuit. And could plug the other two heaters into the rv plugs. In the basement, I installed a twist lock receptacle that a heavy extension cord plugs into and that cord then plugged into the power pedestal's 30 amp receptacle. I could easily run at least two heaters on high or four if not on high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6811.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	42412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6809.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	42413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6810.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	42414  
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:13 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

In your second picture you show a 4 conductor plug. How does that work with a 30A 3 conductor pedestal outlet?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:24 PM   #28
Alpine Custom Upgrade

4 Conductor Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
In your second picture you show a 4 conductor plug. How does that work with a 30A 3 conductor pedestal outlet?
I used this 4 conductor plug and receptacle because that is the one I found in stock at the local hardware store that was a "twist lock" style and they had both halves of it in stock and not just plain plug in style. The 4th connector is simply not used. A 3 prong would have done just as well but the store did not have both halves of it in stock. The other end of the cord has the standard 30 amp 3 prong plug on it for the pedestal. I used a #8 3 conductor SO cable.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:49 PM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

That makes sense if you’re trying to just use what’s “on hand”. Me personally, I would have waited but again it’s your trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:52 PM   #30
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Waiting on a 3 Conductor Plug

Quote:
That makes sense if you’re trying to just use what’s “on hand”. Me personally, I would have waited but again it’s your trailer.
Understood. The plugs cost basically the same so why wait? Yeah, I know. But it is MY "hack job".
Old 12-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
I know. But it is MY "hack job".
Yup!! Enjoy.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:07 PM   #32
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Enjoy!

Quote:
Yup!! Enjoy.
I enjoy my Alpine every time that I A: look at it, B: open the door, C: take it out for a great weekend, D: get to use the awesome custom mods I have made to it that make my camping experience better and D: proud of my innovative ideas that save me money and bring me enjoyment. I could not ask for more. I am sure that you can say the same with your OEM parts.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:10 PM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes I can and that’s what makes the USA the great place it is, we can both enjoy.

Old 12-04-2022, 05:41 PM   #34
rhagfo

Quote:
Well, my dad was a firefighter and saw way too many fires caused by electric space heaters. I would be more concerned about an electric space heater running overnight than running my furnace on propane overnight.
The wiring to the outlets is less than desirable. Heaters can have large draws.

I will say most of the time I heat with electricity, but it is an add-on unit to my gas furnace. I can switch back to gas at the flip of the switch.
I also now have a 12 volt compressor cooling unit on our refrigerator. Safety wasn’t the issue, constant temperatures was the issue. Still love cooking with gas, and if the power goes out flip the switch to gas and stay warm.

Your fears are just different than mine.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:46 PM   #35
chuckster57
Site Team

With all the different safety features built into the LP system, I sleep like a baby. We use oil filled radiators as they draw much less and are pet friendly. To each their own.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:34 PM   #36
Wilco

Oil Filled Heater

Years ago I found the propane heater would wake me up when it turned on during the night. I purchased an oil filled heater with a digital thermostat and use it to heat the trailer. The only sound it makes is a slight click as it turns on/off from it's thermostat. I set the propane furnace about 5F lower than the heater in case it cannot keep the trailer's temperature at setpoint. This has worked for the last 5 years.
2015 Catalina 33RETS
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, propane