Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2022, 02:44 PM   #1
Cougar33

Hot Water Question

Can anyone give me pros and cons on using both electric heat and gas heat on the water heater at the same time for increasing available hot water. I never have done it that way but it was suggested to me in a conversation recently and I'm not comfortable with the idea.
Cougar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:04 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I have used both for the past 20 years. It allows for a faster recovery and yes it will help the water stay warmer if your taking long showers. You only get 6 gallons as the norm, and using both will heat it faster.

Remember to turn OFF the electric if you drain/winterize the tank.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:04 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Do it. It was designed to operate that way and increases the hot water recovery considerably. In the olden days I had to always do a "navy" shower when we had only one source of heat. With the dual units (LP/elec) I was able to take a normal shower without the "dance" of trying to save the hot water. Now that I have a 12gal. I only run electric generally and don't need the additional recovery from using both heat sources.

If you aren't comfortable with the idea you might articulate your concerns; it will be OK but someone will be able to address them I'm sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:31 PM   #4
notanlines

It is absolutely safe and is considered ‘THE’ way to go in RV circles.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:17 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

We camp in the southern part of Texas and usually in pretty warm weather. We have a 30A camper and I hardly ever turn on the electric as the water in the tank via propane is more than sufficient for dish washing and showers, etc. I generally take showers in the Am and the missus in the PM. When the weather gets cooler we will run both propane and gad electric heating. I do this because I am not in the RV circles but in the RV squares. More than one way to do most anything.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:26 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

We use both gas and electric at the same time. It improves recovery time and/or prolongs your hot water supply while in the shower. With our Oxygenics shower head we have found we can take showers comfortably without ever running out of hot water
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:09 PM   #7
dutchmensport

It is perfectly OK to run your water heater on both electric and gas at the same time. As stated above by several others, the recovery time is faster.

If your camper is a 30 amp camper, then running your water heater on propane only will free up some of that 30 amp availability for something else. However, if you are on a campsite where the electricity is paid in the cost of the campsite rental, then you'll want to run the heater on electric as you've already paid for the electricity. Why pay for propane when you've already paid for electricity? So, if you have a 30 amp camper, you have to decide which is the better way to go: gas on and save the electric amps for something else, or run on electric and save some money on propane.

However, if you have a 50 amp camper, then running on electric is generally not a problem at all. So the difference is, is the electricity paid with the camp site or do you pay separate for electricity? If you pay separate, then you'll need to figure out which is cheaper to run, gas or electric.

These are the variables for running on gas, electric, or both. But as far as doing any damage to your water heater... the answer is ... absolutely no damage occurs if you run both at the same time. They ARE designed to operate this way. The variables are how you use your electricity and how you pay for it.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:21 PM   #8
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Water heat gas or electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
It is perfectly OK to run your water heater on both electric and gas at the same time. As stated above by several others, the recovery time is faster.

If your camper is a 30 amp camper, then running your water heater on propane only will free up some of that 30 amp availability for something else. However, if you are on a campsite where the electricity is paid in the cost of the campsite rental, then you'll want to run the heater on electric as you've already paid for the electricity. Why pay for propane when you've already paid for electricity? So, if you have a 30 amp camper, you have to decide which is the better way to go: gas on and save the electric amps for something else, or run on electric and save some money on propane.

However, if you have a 50 amp camper, then running on electric is generally not a problem at all. So the difference is, is the electricity paid with the camp site or do you pay separate for electricity? If you pay separate, then you'll need to figure out which is cheaper to run, gas or electric.

These are the variables for running on gas, electric, or both. But as far as doing any damage to your water heater... the answer is ... absolutely no damage occurs if you run both at the same time. They ARE designed to operate this way. The variables are how you use your electricity and how you pay for it.
I installed a 12 gallon electric water heater in the closet of our 3650RL where there were connections for a washer and drier which we do not have because our so called "on demand" water heater had one too many issues on dependability. We have plenty of hot water to take full time on showers without trimming back on the water and can take back to back showers and not run out of hot water. Another plus is that we do not use ANY propane. But then again, installing UPGRADES like this might be called a "hack job" by some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6682.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	42387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6683.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	42388  
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:19 AM   #9
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Custom Upgrade View Post
I installed a 12 gallon electric water heater in the closet of our 3650RL where there were connections for a washer and drier which we do not have because our so called "on demand" water heater had one too many issues on dependability. We have plenty of hot water to take full time on showers without trimming back on the water and can take back to back showers and not run out of hot water. Another plus is that we do not use ANY propane. But then again, installing UPGRADES like this might be called a "hack job" by some.
Well . it is what it is.. if the RV is never gonna be sold the its yours to do as you see fit.. I personally will not buy an RV that has mods like this..

But it gives you HW that you folks want.. Personally our Sw12DEL running on electric mode does just fine.. and I have propane mode to back it up with if needed.. Have not in 9 years..

The OEM IW60RL on demand water heater is.. a piece of junk so I can see why you wanted something more reliable

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:35 AM   #10
notanlines

I'll agree that the 'on-demand' water heaters seem to cause way more trouble than they cure. I believe the 12 gallon electric was a good choice to replace the trash that came in the RV.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:46 AM   #11
Mike71954

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar33 View Post
Can anyone give me pros and cons on using both electric heat and gas heat on the water heater at the same time for increasing available hot water. I never have done it that way but it was suggested to me in a conversation recently and I'm not comfortable with the idea.
I do it but only switch on the propane when I need it for a quick heat up - it works fine for me
Mike71954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:49 AM   #12
bustersdaddy

I have done it when the need for extra hot water occurs. The only issue was added expense for propane.
bustersdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water