Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
malibu43

Battery Upgrade Question

Another question. I am looking at switching from one 12v battery to 2 x 6v for longer battery life while we're dry camping.

Our trailer came with this battery. Its listed as 81ah and 140 min reserve capacity @25 amps.:
https://www.campingworld.com/interst...cca-71700.html

I'm looking at replacing with 2 of these. 215ah and 110 min reserve capacity at 75amps.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...na/na/sligc110

I'm having a hard time comparing the capacity of the two batteries. The amp-hours are almost 3x higher with the 6v I'm looking at I'm not sure that is the right number to look at and/or that that is an apples-to-apples comparison. The reserve capacities are calculated at different amp rates, so again not apples-to-apples numbers.

Can someone help me compare the capacity of the two? I've read quite a bit about switching from 12v to 2 x 6v and know that even with the same reserve capacity, I'll get better performance dry camping with the 2 x 6v, but I want to make sure I understand how the reserve capacity compares between what I've had and what I'm getting. I'd like to add as much as I can ($$$, space, and weight allowing). There are other options on batteriesplus that look like they add more capacity.

Thanks!
malibu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:20 PM   #2
sierraman68

I change from two 12v batteries to four 6 volt batteries 3 years ago and have been very happy. I went with the Duracell SLIGC115 (230 AH) instead of the SLIGC110 (215 AH) that you are looking at. When you connect two 215 AH 6v batteries in series you effectively get 12 volts with 215 AH which is quite a bit more than you current 12v battery which gives you 81AH. Remember that you should never discharge lead acid batteries below 50%. So, your usable capacity on two 6v batteries will be 107.5 AH instead of 40.5 AH .... big difference.
Old 11-13-2022, 06:46 PM   #3
Canonman

Batteries store AMPs. The more amps you can store the longer you can run. You can install more batteries and store more amps but the real test is how many amps are you using and how do you plan on restoring those used amps back into the batteries while dry camping i.e. some sort of charger. Charging in the field can be via a generator or solar kit.
We opted for two 6 volt batteries. Our usage on a recent trip to the Tetons was about 40 amps per day. We ran the usual lights, water pump, watched a movie and ran the furnace keeping the temps inside at around 63 during the night. We recharged with a 200w solar kit (that's how I know the amps used) with a controller that showed the total amps sent to the batteries. We also have a generator (purchased before solar) but haven't used it in several seasons.
So if you figure 50 amps usage a day you'd be using 100 amps or so over a weekend and need to look at topping those batteries off before dropping below the 50% depletion number.
My opinion is batteries are a consumable resource. They need to be replaced over time. Fewer batteries (say 2 instead of 4) means lower replacement costs. The cost of a generator or solar kit to keep those batteries charged will pay for itself pretty quickly at somewhere around $100 each for batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL0182-Pano.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	42274  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 05:53 AM   #4
JBM3M

Why 6V over 12 V

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:19 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43 View Post
Another question. I am looking at switching from one 12v battery to 2 x 6v for longer battery life while we're dry camping.

Our trailer came with this battery. Its listed as 81ah and 140 min reserve capacity @25 amps.:
https://www.campingworld.com/interst...cca-71700.html

I'm looking at replacing with 2 of these. 215ah and 110 min reserve capacity at 75amps.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...na/na/sligc110

I'm having a hard time comparing the capacity of the two batteries. The amp-hours are almost 3x higher with the 6v I'm looking at I'm not sure that is the right number to look at and/or that that is an apples-to-apples comparison. The reserve capacities are calculated at different amp rates, so again not apples-to-apples numbers.

Can someone help me compare the capacity of the two? I've read quite a bit about switching from 12v to 2 x 6v and know that even with the same reserve capacity, I'll get better performance dry camping with the 2 x 6v, but I want to make sure I understand how the reserve capacity compares between what I've had and what I'm getting. I'd like to add as much as I can ($$$, space, and weight allowing). There are other options on batteriesplus that look like they add more capacity.

Thanks!
Your original was a hybrid marine cranking battery with the 550CCA (cold cranking amps) posted on its top, this is not a true deep cycle battery, but is what most rv dealers install.
Also I paid $89 each for the Duracell 6 volt batteries at Sam's Club a couple years ago. Local Sam's has them listed at $109.
Be sure if you go with 6 volts to wire them in series (+ to -) rather than parallel (+ to +, - to -) like the 12 volts.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:53 AM   #6
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraman68 View Post
I change from two 12v batteries to four 6 volt batteries 3 years ago and have been very happy. I went with the Duracell SLIGC115 (230 AH) instead of the SLIGC110 (215 AH) that you are looking at. When you connect two 215 AH 6v batteries in series you effectively get 12 volts with 215 AH which is quite a bit more than you current 12v battery which gives you 81AH. Remember that you should never discharge lead acid batteries below 50%. So, your usable capacity on two 6v batteries will be 107.5 AH instead of 40.5 AH .... big difference.
Thanks very much for the info. Sounds like I'm on the right track. Just curious - any particular reason you went with the 230 AH battery instead of the 215 AH other than the 15 extra AH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Batteries store AMPs. The more amps you can store the longer you can run. You can install more batteries and store more amps but the real test is how many amps are you using and how do you plan on restoring those used amps back into the batteries while dry camping i.e. some sort of charger. Charging in the field can be via a generator or solar kit.
We opted for two 6 volt batteries. Our usage on a recent trip to the Tetons was about 40 amps per day. We ran the usual lights, water pump, watched a movie and ran the furnace keeping the temps inside at around 63 during the night. We recharged with a 200w solar kit (that's how I know the amps used) with a controller that showed the total amps sent to the batteries. We also have a generator (purchased before solar) but haven't used it in several seasons.
So if you figure 50 amps usage a day you'd be using 100 amps or so over a weekend and need to look at topping those batteries off before dropping below the 50% depletion number.
My opinion is batteries are a consumable resource. They need to be replaced over time. Fewer batteries (say 2 instead of 4) means lower replacement costs. The cost of a generator or solar kit to keep those batteries charged will pay for itself pretty quickly at somewhere around $100 each for batteries.
Thanks for the info. Our trailer has a 175W solar setup. The times we have dry camped before this last weekend were in the Spring and Summer, so we used the lights less and did not use the heater at all. One time solar was enough to keep the battery full the entire time, another time I did have to plug my truck in and run it for a couple of hours after about 3 nights of a 5 night trip (camper was shaded so solar wasn't doing much). I honestly did not realize the furnace fan would draw so much power. This last weekend we dry camped for a couple of nights. It was in the 50's during the day and into the low 30s at night, plus this time of year not much sunlight. So we used the lights more, had the heater cranking all night, and the near freezing temps probably didn't help the battery either. So battery was low after the first night (charged it with my truck a bit) and died at 2:30AM the second night. We didn't think we needed a generator, but we assumed it would just be for running AC when it's hot. I'm considering a small one now since we plan on cold weather camping quite a bit more. We'll see how the new battery set-up performs.
Old 11-14-2022, 08:54 AM   #7
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
Why 6V over 12 V
This thread has a lot of info on why 6V over 12V.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=47820
Old 11-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #8
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Your original was a hybrid marine cranking battery with the 550CCA (cold cranking amps) posted on its top, this is not a true deep cycle battery, but is what most rv dealers install.
Also I paid $89 each for the Duracell 6 volt batteries at Sam's Club a couple years ago. Local Sam's has them listed at $109.
Be sure if you go with 6 volts to wire them in series (+ to -) rather than parallel (+ to +, - to -) like the 12 volts.
Thanks for the info. I've seen a few posts/YT videos where people reference that pricing at Sams Club or Costco. Unfortunately I can't seem to find that kind of a deal right now.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:01 PM   #9
Canonman

"I'm considering a small one now since we plan on cold weather camping quite a bit more."

A small generator is all that's needed for charging batteries when solar isn't enough. Some may even be able to run the A/C depending on the starting amp draw of your unit.
That same generator will also provide power if you ever need it at home during a power outage.
Here's a great buy on a nice unit just for comparison: https://www.samsclub.com/p/aipower-s...=plp_product_4
FWIW, We use a portable solar kit so we can move it around to take advantage of what sun there is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8607.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	42288  
Old 11-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #10
hlh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
"I'm considering a small one now since we plan on cold weather camping quite a bit more."

A small generator is all that's needed for charging batteries when solar isn't enough. Some may even be able to run the A/C depending on the starting amp draw of your unit.
That same generator will also provide power if you ever need it at home during a power outage.
Here's a great buy on a nice unit just for comparison: https://www.samsclub.com/p/aipower-s...=plp_product_4
FWIW, We use a portable solar kit so we can move it around to take advantage of what sun there is.

What portable solar kit do you use and like?
hlh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 05:49 PM   #11
Canonman

I was able to find a Zamp 200w portable kit used, here in town. I researched others and Renogy was another I would have chosen. Others have come to the market since I bought ours but these two had the best customer service response to my inquires.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:19 AM   #12
Domino3665

Have you ever heard of someone switching from 6V batteries to 12V batteries?
Me neither, That should tell you something.
Renorgy makes a nice little 100w suitcase solar panel kit. Look into it.
Good luck! ����
Domino3665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 08:36 AM   #13
malibu43

Double battery box is on its way from Amazon. Been checking local Costcos all week trying to find two of their $100 6v batteries, but they're all sold out. Gonna try one more Costco today and then just get the more expensive one from Batteries Plus if they don't have it.

I think it will all fit on our tongue. The main battery switch will be blocked, but you reach it from underneath so that should be ok.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Sam's Club (if there's one near you) has Duracell GC2 batteries that have the same specs as the Interstate GC2. If you can't find them at Costco, maybe check Sam's ???

My last set of Duracell GC2's lasted 8 years and were still going strong. The ONLY reason I bought a new set was the sale price at Sam's ($69 each). The old ones were still working well, but with a long trip planned, it was hard not to replace them before I had problems since I was going to be so far from home and didn't want to get "stuck with a failed battery in the middle of nowhere"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:18 AM   #15
P&DZ

We switched from two 12v marine batteries to 2 6v deep cycle batteries three years ago. We bought the two Duracell 230Ah batteries from Batteries Plus, don't remember what we paid at the time. We do quite a bit of off grid camping in state campgrounds. often 8 to ten days at a a time and I am able to top off the batteries each day with a simple 100w Renogy mobile solar setup. We are frugal with our power consumption and I am very happy with this setup. You may want to consider a 200w solar panel depending on your daily usage.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:49 PM   #16
Kzneft

IMO I would switch over the Lithium. I had two 6 volt Lead acid which worked great, but got tired of always making sure the water level was up, hated the corrosion caused by them, and after 5 years might need to re-purchased. Switched to Lithium and love it. Although they are pricey. SOK makes some good ones. Bought two 200ah and they work well.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:43 AM   #17
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino3665 View Post
Have you ever heard of someone switching from 6V batteries to 12V batteries?
Me neither, That should tell you something.
Renorgy makes a nice little 100w suitcase solar panel kit. Look into it.
Good luck! ����
Actually there have been may who have abandoned their 6 volt batteries for 12 volt batteries (lithium). The more accurate question would be: "Have you ever heard of someone switching from Lithium back to 6 volt or 12 volt lead acid batteries?" I apologize in advance for being insensitive.
To stay on topic, you are correct, 2 six volt golf cart batteries in series, will outperform the single 12 volt battery. I might also suggest to the OP that should know, that roughly 1/2 of the stated ah capacity of lead acid batteries, is what they will deliver before needing to be recharged. For many RVers, 2 golf cart batteries are a great choice.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:50 AM   #18
Kzneft

I have not heard of anyone switching back, as the plus's of Lithium outweigh LA, but maybe there are? I love that I can also keep the Lithium inside my storage compartment, nice and clean. I also have two solar panels on top of the RV, and I also have two portable ones (GoalZero) I can set up outside and just plus into the system. Most all out camping is dry camping, so they work out well.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 12:03 PM   #19
malibu43

Never could find the Costco batteries, so bought the more expensive 215 ah batteries from batteries plus, a double battery box, and some new cables. Got it all installed over the weekend and seems to be working fine. We won't go dry camping again until New Years, so that will be the real test.

Thanks for all the help here.

Tags
battery, upgrade