Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2022, 04:08 PM   #1
Billyk

we went to look at a KOA campground

wow looked like a elementary school yard . Lots of kids running around. Not a quiet camping experience for sure. I got two kids and two grandkids but we were over whelmed. We are thinking on going in October when school is back in session. Are they pretty much all like that? Summer may not be the time. I will check out national forest I have Veterans preference pass.
2010 Keystone Hornet Hideout 26 foot 4500 lbs dual axle
2016 F 150 Platinum with tow package 3.5 turbo
Billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:20 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I guess like any campground it depends on which KOA you go to. I do think they are geared to families and offer lots of amenities and activities aimed at young families. Some that we have stayed at have sections a little farther removed but they certianly aren't retirement communities.

If your looking for a quiet, no children campground there are some adult only campgrounds (not KOA) or just look for CGs that don't have a pool, or mini golf, or list any activities.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

We have stayed at quite a few KOA’s and our 9 year old daughter is always complaining about the lack of kids to play with. I guess it depends on where you go? We prefer to avoid the “parking lots” that some people call campgrounds, but other than a KOA outside of Toledo, we have never had any complaints when we stayed at one.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:59 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Which one did you go to?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:13 PM   #5
Mikendebbie

Billy - I appreciate your service!
DW and I love to see people having fun. We remember how much fun it was with our 3. I agree with comments above that basically not all campgrounds are like the one you visited. It’s good for those with young kids to read your take on it so they can teach kids to be respectful of other campers.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:40 PM   #6
Billyk

Petaluma Ca
2010 Keystone Hornet Hideout 26 foot 4500 lbs dual axle
2016 F 150 Platinum with tow package 3.5 turbo
Billyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:54 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I haven’t been to that one, I wonder how many campers were long term. Seems like out here on the left coast, more and more people are finding it cheaper to live in an RV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:03 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

The KOA just outside of Kerrville looked like a trailer park; single wides mixed in with some older campers that looked like they had been there forever. No bueno. The one up by Fredericksburg looked ok but we have never stayed there.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 02:53 AM   #9
RickV

It has been my experience that KOA's are a little overpriced unless they are a KOA Journey. We find nicer campgrounds with bigger sites by doing a little research.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:36 AM   #10
notanlines

Mike, your statement "It’s good for those with young kids to read your take on it so they can teach kids to be respectful of other campers"made me think that you should explain a little further what you actually mean. When you enter a KOA as a general rule you have entered the McDonalds of RV parks. You are in THEIR territory. It is important that YOU be respectful of THEIR rights also.
We are in a 200 lot RV park in Wisconsin, and our RV backs up to the playground. From Thursday night until Monday morning our park is full of screaming, running, bike-riding, skateboarding, laughing, crying, ball-playing little urchins. Brenda and I wouldn't have it any other way.
On the other hand, our RV park in Florida is 55 and over. Fully 25% of the residents complain if someone walks through their site as a shortcut.
Overall, I've found that more adults need a little guidance than children where respect is concerned.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:31 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
It has been my experience that KOA's are a little overpriced unless they are a KOA Journey. We find nicer campgrounds with bigger sites by doing a little research.
I've found KOAs out here in the east to be this way also. There are a few that are ok (site wise) but still on the pricey side while others are small, tight, and outdated. I can also think of several that we've looked at that are gorgeous and well maintained but are extremely tight both in site room and access roads.

When our oldest daughter was living in a suburb of Phili we camped at the Philidelphia KOA a lot. I'd estimate 40% of their sites were useless IMO at least for our rig. Most sites were very unlevel and generally in rough shape. The roads were gravel and in poor condition. They did take one section of a row, about 6 sites, to create "premium sites". They were the 50 amp sites, have a nice large stamped/ colored concrete patio with a good sized fire pit recessed into the patio. They also have the bbq stand. The premium sites are very expensive.

We stayed there many weekends as it was the closest cg to where they lived and our DD had birthed their first child (and our first grandchild) then. We joined the KOA rewards which did help offset cost. You get a discount and with every x amount of stays you get free nights. That brought the cost down to what I consider "average".

After experiencing that KOA we have looked at many others. When we travel we'll often take the time to check out nearby campgrounds, you never know what you might be missing. I'll just say this. After looking at a bunch of them east of the Mississippi they wouldn't be my first choice.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:31 AM   #12
Campermike

If you like quiet and privacy I've found state or federal parks are generally better and where we stay 95% of the time. Koa has many great options though if you're looking for a place to sleep right off the highway while traveling. When traveling with kids those amenities are great. Pull in put down stabilizers and pop out the slide. Don't even have to unhitch. Makes leaving the next morning that much easier.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:52 AM   #13
dutchmensport

There's nothing wrong with KOA's, except you have to remember, each one is still privately owned and they are franchised by KOA. So, each KOA has to adhere to some of the franchise requirements (like McDonalds has to sell Big Mac everywhere, and they can't sell their own private home-fabricated version).

But there are also lots of variations with each and ever KOA campground because of location, local demographics, county-state laws and rules, and how much the owners are investing into the property.

I've noticed over the last couple years that KOA's (at least the ones we've stayed at in the past and just recently) are catering to the long-term seasonal campers. I guess that guarantees a site will be occupied and a revenue coming in from that site, opposed to sitting empty.

But that also means, more and more, there is not near the availability for the over-nighters who are traveling, or the weekender families. This is disappointing, because on a few occasions over the last couple years, we've not been able to get an over night sometimes and had to move on to the next KOA. We always call ahead about 4-6 hours when we travel, as sometimes, we really do not know where we'll finally land.

KOA's have always been designed for young families and some KOA's go to great lengths to keep their campgrounds attractive for young families, offering everything from renal pedal cars, bicycles, miniature golf park, swimming pools and splash pad, bounce house equipment, outside theater nights, events, and even hayrides.

I think the thing we appreciate the most are those KOA's that set up a dog park. And don't forget golf cart rentals. So yes, KOA's are busy, active, filled with kids, activities, events. It's its only unique little community and with more and more long term associates there, it's often intimidating for the more transient crowd who come and go. (personally, I'm disappointed with KOA because of this. But when traveling, we still attempt to contact KOA first when we need an overnight).

If you are looking for a more quiet and peaceful camping experience, then stick with state parks or state/national forest parks. Again, the clientele changes every single day. Your neighbor camper may be the sweetest old couple you can imagine today, and tomorrow the family from hell may be sitting beside you. So you absolutely cannot judge a campground by the neighbors around you. You can only judge the campground by how stern management enforces their own rules.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:14 AM   #14
CedarCreekWoody

I was going to suggest the OP take a look at corp of engineers campgrounds as a quiet alternative until I saw he is in California. COE campgrounds are scare out west.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 06:25 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Like some have mentioned; be sure and check out a particular KOA if you plan on staying there. We are members of KOA but don't particularly favor their campgrounds due to cost ie; bang for buck. They have now divided them into Journey, Holiday and just plain KOA Resort. They say "Journey" is for overnite stays and supposedly situated on main highways. "Holidays" have more amenities and can be a destination while the "Resort" locations are supposed to be, from what I read, fully contained and have everything you want/need. Haven't been to one of those yet.

I recently had a flat on my truck causing an unexpected overnite stay and we were on the phone trying to find a campground..which we did. I was trying to find their location, DW said she "thought" it was a KOA and sure enough there was one on that particular road so I pulled in. I've never been an a KOA so run down and dilapidated. The park just looked scroungy. I told her I wasn't staying there (no one was in the office) and she called. We were in the wrong place; we were supposed to be about 1 mile further out (thank goodness). Just look into what kind of KOA you're going to because they're not all the same anymore.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:43 AM   #16
travelin texans

After fulltiming for 10+ years KOAs were our last choice due to their prices, unless grandkids were with us.. We were card carrying members which is recommended if you're staying at them. Some that we did stay at were very nice, lots.of activities for the kiddos, but some were absolutely horrible, those I refused to stay.
We found that the Jellystone parks were about the same way, some very nice others not so much..
We workamped as housekeepers at a 55+ park full.of snowbirds & permanent residents & I'm ashamed to admit that some of those folks were absolute pigs, some of the things they did made us scratch our heads thinking WTH! I assume it's cause they knew someone else was cleaning up after them, so it's just just the young'uns that mess things up.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:45 AM   #17
Tom-67X

Mine may not be a popular stance, but I love hearing kids, seeing kids, laughter, noise, etc. Sure it'd be nice if it went quiet around 10pm on a weeknight- but weekends- let it rip.

We've been complained about for simply TALKING around a campfire on one trip- on a Saturday night, at a busy lake, before midnight. To me...if that bothers you, you're at the wrong place and being unreasonable. Again...to each his own, but "read the room."

I lament how our society has become- so un-family friendly. It beings me joy to hear people having fun, especially kids- just being kids. Never witnessed anything TOO unruly. I do despise the still, quiet, "parking lot" campgrounds and I'll never ever move to a retirement community, but I do understand and respect some want absolute stillness- or something somewhere in between. If I want stillness, I can just go boondock in the woods.

My oldest son lives in a lake RV resort and it's loud on the weekends, quiet during the week, and it seems everyone is your best friend. He loves it! And...he works weekends and is not bothered or kept awake. It gives me hope as he is not yet a dad, and seeing all the kids running around outside makes him feel that thing we all feel as men coming of age...

Anyway, what was the topic again?
Tom-67X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #18
bsmith0404

KOAs always seem to be good for kids, lots of activities. They are very commercial, not my choice of a place to stay. I don’t mind the kids running around and having fun, that’s what kids are supposed to do when you take them camping. If they don’t have fun, they won’t want to go and the lifestyle dies.

Personally, since we don’t have kids with us anymore, it’s not my choice of places to stay, but still use them for overnight stops while traveling because most are close to the highway, easy off and easy on. I’m not a KOA member, but do get the military discount which is the same as the member discount.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #19
msubobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyk View Post
Petaluma Ca
We have stayed there. Seemed to be very kid friendly. Didn't really notice the kiddos.

We enjoyed our stay there...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:59 AM   #20
Camp CA

Its summer so lots of campers with kids. Might consider joining Elks Lodge and camping in their rv parks generally without kids and many have nice camping sites, full hookups and daily food and bar service like Napa, Petaluma, etc.

Tags
campground