Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2022, 08:40 PM   #1
NDNRED

Furnace or thermostat.

Hello, new here but have been searching all over for somewhat of a idea to head towards regarding a heating issue.

Have a 2021 Springdale 38BH that we are full timing in.
Last winter we didn't have any issues but since then we have moved and been experiencing a interment heating issues with the furnace maintaining the set temperature.
It may be due to the regulator recall, in which I just found out about it and have a replacement on the way.

But regardless, we are experiencing the furnace not restarting after it shuts off once the rv reaches the set temperature. It seems to happen more consistently when the thermostat is set below 72 degrees.

Ie, at night I set it to 65 and it runs on and off for a few hours but then it will shut off for good until I cycle the thermostat, usually results in a real chilly morning or return to "home" after work.

Though if I set it at 72 or above it will maintain the temperature consistently, but probably due to the fact it is running more constant so doesn't have a chance to stop and "reset"

Had thoughts leaning towards the thermostat, but it seems to be operating correctly as it switches on and off and heats up and maintains temperature to the extent of my issue.

Thought about a furnace issue as well, but it turns on, ignites, and runs correctly, and even will stay running for extended period of time when the thermostat is set to max. So I know it's not "overheating" sensor type issue.
NDNRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 11:22 PM   #2
jsb5717

Welcome aboard! I can't confirm for you that it is the TStat but I would suspect it as well. It seems that the furnace is working correctly. When it does fire it runs and does its job. It's the TStat's job to tell the furnace when to do its job so that's where I would look as well.

Do you have an Atwood furnace with a Dometic TStat?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:02 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

What is your source of propane? If you're using the two 30 pound tanks on the front of the trailer, you may have an icing issue in the regulator or the tanks. As the temperature drops, the propane vapors don't change from liquid to gas as easily and it's the gas that flows "up to the top of the tank" and then into the regulator.

It "may be" (but just a theory) that with the thermostat set to 72F or higher, the trailer "leaks enough heat to the tanks" to keep the tanks warm enough to continue to vaporize and with the thermostat set below 72F, there's just not enough residual heat being transferred to the tanks to keep them warm and working properly. The regulator sitting "right on top of the tanks" also can be affected by the cold temperatures...

If you have a large propane tank that you're drawing from, you may have an issue with that tank and, I'd suspect that it's not the same "tank, regulator and lines" that you had at the previous trailer site. So, the "new tank or regulator may be the source of your problems"...

How to troubleshoot ??? Find a droplight with a 60 watt incandescent bulb, place it between the two tanks, under the cover and see if the additional warmth solves the issue. If it does, then look at ways to keep the tanks warmer. If the extra heat doesn't help, then look at the furnace or thermostat.

You said the trailer is a 2021 model, so the furnace may still be in warranty and you may get some help with repairs from the furnace manufacturer. Keystone won't be involved in any warranty as the one year warranty is likely expired, so you'll need to contact the furnace manufacturer directly.

Your Keystone Owner's Manual, around page 52, has a list of all the component manufacturers. Keystone only uses Suburban and Atwood furnaces. Here's the contact info for both:

Dometic/Atwood 1-800-544-4881 www.dometic.com
Suburban 1-423-775-2131 www.airxcel.com/suburban

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:45 AM   #4
NDNRED

Thank you for the quick responses.
As for the thermostat, our Springdale is fitted with a General Electric RARWT2B, and furnace we have a Suburban furnace.

I am still utilizing the "factory 30lb" tanks and regulator plus 1 extra 30lb tank so i always have 1 tank full. As for the regulator freezing up, that might be what is exactly happening, after another chilly morning and reading your responses this morning. I uncovered the tanks and lo and behold there was ice formed on the pigtail hoses where they connect to the regulator.

I will try the lamp method and see if I have a issue tonight.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:51 AM   #5
NDNRED

Update,

After a few days of keeping the regulator from freezing. As of now that seems to be what the issue was.

Tags
furnace