Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2022, 10:51 AM   #1
Meldunn

2022 Montana high country 295RL refrigerator question

Is it true if you solar inverter isn't working that your refrigerator won't work while traveling? Ours is brand new and doesn't work and the dealer is ordering but it won't be in before we travel...
Meldunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #2
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldunn View Post
Is it true if you solar inverter isn't working that your refrigerator won't work while traveling? Ours is brand new and doesn't work and the dealer is ordering but it won't be in before we travel...
Well that would depend on what type of refrigerator you have.

If it is a residential refrigerator, it will require 120v AC power to operate.
The only way to get that power while traveling would be with your inverter.

No inverter, or inverter not working = No AC power to coach while traveling.

On the other hand if the refrigerator is a traditional gas absorption type or even the newer 12v DC type, then they will operate from the coach battery without an inverter.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:13 AM   #3
Meldunn

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Well that would depend on what type of refrigerator you have.

If it is a residential refrigerator, it will require 120v AC power to operate.
The only way to get that power while traveling would be with your inverter.

No inverter, or inverter not working = No AC power to coach while traveling.

On the other hand if the refrigerator is a traditional gas absorption type or even the newer 12v DC type, then they will operate from the coach battery without an inverter.
We have the 18 cubic ft residential- so I guess we will be using our cooler until we get to the campgrounds
Old 11-06-2022, 12:02 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m having a hard time understanding. The inverter uses 12VDC the battery(s) to produce 120VAC for the outlets/fridge. The solar panel(s) charge the battery during sunlight. The solar panel doesn’t “power” the inverter.

When your plugged into shore power the fridge works? When not on shore power it doesn’t? What troubleshooting has your dealership done?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #5
foldbak

I have the same rig but with a 12 volt frig. A residential frig requires 120 volts provided from you inverter that's drawing from your batteries. If you have solar and sun, the solar charger will keep the batteries charged to some extent. I hear that most are able to travel on a sunny day for about 6 hours assuming they have a strong battery bank. If no solar you wont last long. But if I'm not mistaken all of the Montana's have solar flex 200 as standard equipment. Switch to lithium and you'll gain a lot! Once to the camp plug into shore power and you're all good.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 03:31 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I believe you have a 18cf res fridge as I do (probably Samsung?). The inverter is not for "solar" it's to convert the 12vdc to 120vac to power "whatever" including your fridge.

As Chuck asked, what troubleshooting has been done? The inverter has to be turned on and it also has to be wired to the outlet correctly; has anyone verified any of that?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:14 PM   #7
PJsandy

Will my residential refrigerator in my 2021 5th wheeler run/cool when on the road driving. Thanks Paul
PJsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #8
Meldunn

They cked the wiring and output and determined the inverter didn’t work - we should of cked to see if anything worked on the solar power before we left but - live and learn - the theater seats are plugged into a solar outlet and don’t work either - I used to have a 5th wheel that the frig worked on propane while we drove and was hoping this could be the same case but - doesn’t seem so ��
Old 11-06-2022, 05:56 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Did anyone check the trailer operation out before taking it? Do you actually have "solar power" or just a prep? There are no "solar" outlets, they would be either normal AC, GFCI or inverted. Has anyone at the dealership walked you through the operation of these items?
Old 11-06-2022, 06:32 PM   #10
foldbak

Quote:
They cked the wiring and output and determined the inverter didn’t work - we should of cked to see if anything worked on the solar power before we left but - live and learn - the theater seats are plugged into a solar outlet and don’t work either - I used to have a 5th wheel that the frig worked on propane while we drove and was hoping this could be the same case but - doesn’t seem so ��
What inverter do you have? Is it a dimensions? Solar only charges the batteries. None of the outlets are solar powered. You have a combination of outlets that run off of your inverter. If you have more inverted Outlets then just the refrigerator you most likely have a 2000 watt inverter. If your inverter is not working then your refrigerator won't unless you're on Shore or generator power. The dimensions inverter has a control panel and a display. What does the display say?
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:31 AM   #11
Meldunn

You are correct they are inverter outlets - I just worded it wrong. Our solar package is the 2000 and everything worked on shore power - they walked us they it all but never tested on solar power using the inverter- it is equipped. We will just wait till they replace it - my husband said it would only work on inverter or generator but I had a hard time believing that was true. Thank you to all who replied.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:49 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJsandy View Post
Will my residential refrigerator in my 2021 5th wheeler run/cool when on the road driving. Thanks Paul
It will if you have an inverter that's wired to the fridge outlet, the inverter is wired/working and it's turned on.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:53 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
You are correct they are inverter outlets - I just worded it wrong. Our solar package is the 2000 and everything worked on shore power - they walked us they it all but never tested on solar power using the inverter- it is equipped. We will just wait till they replace it - my husband said it would only work on inverter or generator but I had a hard time believing that was true. Thank you to all who replied.
I think your not understanding what the solar does. It only charges the battery(s). It does not provide direct power to the trailer or any appliances.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I think your not understanding what the solar does. It only charges the battery(s). It does not provide direct power to the trailer or any appliances.
X2!
Unless you're connected to shore power, generator or fully charged batteries with an inverter you'll have NO power!
The solar system ONLY charges the batteries. You're dealer can replace parts til the cows come home & you're solar system will still ONLY charge the batteries..... If you're dealer has told you otherwise they are full of what those cows left behind.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #15
Captainf2

Inverter

I have 2020 Montana HC 295RL, I found the GFI reset not on even if inverter switch was powered. I make it a normal check out when I hook up to check the power to the refrigerator, just see if the light is on, then check power switch and GFI switch. Try that.
Captainf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:44 AM   #16
seanrmz

Quote:
I’m having a hard time understanding. The inverter uses 12VDC the battery(s) to produce 120VAC for the outlets/fridge. The solar panel(s) charge the battery during sunlight. The solar panel doesn’t “power” the inverter.

When your plugged into shore power the fridge works? When not on shore power it doesn’t? What troubleshooting has your dealership done?
hello Chuck, yes the power system is a bit complicating. When your plugged to shore the rv panel is powered up, so the converter will send 12v to the fridge so it could power up the heater for the absorption part.

So if you have a "solar prep" rv. The inverter will only wire up 3 plugs in the RV.
I re-did mine and powered up everything besides the fire place and Ac system.

The solar panels only go into a "Solar charger regulator" that send 12v ( 13.8 or more ) to the battery to charge it up. So the panels only do that.

hope that helped

Sean
Old 11-16-2022, 07:48 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanrmz View Post
hello Chuck, yes the power system is a bit complicating. When your plugged to shore the rv panel is powered up, so the converter will send 12v to the fridge so it could power up the heater for the absorption part.

So if you have a "solar prep" rv. The inverter will only wire up 3 plugs in the RV.
I re-did mine and powered up everything besides the fire place and Ac system.

The solar panels only go into a "Solar charger regulator" that send 12v ( 13.8 or more ) to the battery to charge it up. So the panels only do that.

hope that helped

Sean
If the heating element is being used then you have to have AC power, so the fridge outlet is powered by the inverter?

The DC (12V) only supplies power to the control board, eyebrow and igniter when needed to start the flame.

Old 11-16-2022, 07:54 AM   #18
seanrmz

Quote:
If the heating element is being used then you have to have AC power, so the fridge outlet is powered by the inverter?

The DC (12V) only supplies power to the control board, eyebrow and igniter when needed to start the flame.
post edit wrong information

sorry

sean
Old 11-16-2022, 08:10 AM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanrmz View Post
So the fridge is getting its 12v from the converter ( not inverter) when plugged to the SP. This will warm up the heater using 12v.

When you unplug the SP, the fridge will get 12v from the battery to turn on the LP flame in the fridge
Converter does not supply AC current for the heating element. It supplies 12V to the battery (charging) and 12VDC to the power distribution panel 12VDC side.

The heating element ( in the chimney) requires AC (120VAC) to operate. So at the risk of repeating myself, an RV absorption fridge, needs 12VDC to operate the control board, eyebrow and igniter. It will operate the “door heater” if so equipped but WILL NOT power the heating element in the chimney unless YOU have altered the wiring from the heating element.

If you look at my signature you can see I’ve got a little bit of experience with RV fridges.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:16 AM   #20
seanrmz

Quote:
Converter does not supply AC current for the heating element. It supplies 12V to the battery (charging) and 12VDC to the power distribution panel 12VDC side.

The heating element ( in the chimney) requires AC (120VAC) to operate. So at the risk of repeating myself, an RV absorption fridge, needs 12VDC to operate the control board, eyebrow and igniter. It will operate the “door heater” if so equipped but WILL NOT power the heating element in the chimney unless YOU have altered the wiring from the heating element.

If you look at my signature you can see I’ve got a little bit of experience with RV fridges.
sounds good chuck, seems like you got everything down packed..

sean

Tags
montana