Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2022, 11:26 AM   #21
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
I'm curious, can you watch football on YouTube? And what is it costing monthly?
Starlink RV is $165 a month with the ability to suspend when not in use.
YouTube TV is about $60 and will allow you to travel just sign in from your home base once every 3 months.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:28 AM   #22
Shedboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Just thinking out loud for a minute....

Is there a VOIP capability with Starlink? If so, it may well replace cell phone voice communication and if there's a means to connect a cell phone to the internet via Starlink, it may also work for Cell text, voice functions as well as internet based functions.

It may well be the answer we're all looking for to replace pretty much all cell phone based services as well as internet based services while camping/traveling.
Check out Ooma and MagicJack VOIP adapters. Ooma seems to have better performance reviews paired with Starlink.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:25 PM   #23
foldbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
YouTube TV is about $60 and will allow you to travel just sign in from your home base once every 3 months.
Yikes! $225 a month? I don't pay that for my DTV, Xfinity internet, T mobile hot spot and Netflix combined. Man, I just want to watch football

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:06 PM   #24
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
Yikes! $225 a month? I don't pay that for my DTV, Xfinity internet, T mobile hot spot and Netflix combined. Man, I just want to watch football
I don't do Netflix, but I do use the YouTube TV as my streaming service at home and in the trailer. It's all inclusive. The only additional fee is the $165 for the Starlink RV. and if I really wanted I could use it as my internet source at home as well.

But having reliable internet and TV while taking a mental health break from the stress of my lifestyle by providing me an avenue to remain connected to my office and prevent financial losses that would greatly exceed the $165 is worth the cost.

However, your mileage may vary.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:01 PM   #25
vampress_me

Quote:
Why is yours $165/ mo? Ours is $135. Shouldn’t it be the same across all states?

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 09:14 PM   #26
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Why is yours $165/ mo? Ours is $135. Shouldn’t it be the same across all states?
You're correct, I just went to my CC statement and it is $135
Old 11-12-2022, 06:26 AM   #27
ChuckS

I have been watching the progress with Starlink for a long time.. The RV and portability aspects are pretty nice and the coverage is .. from what I have seen getting better and better.

I currently use DTV for home and the RV but the lack of things to watch are becoming more and more problematic.. for my tastes.

We live in a rural area so trying to use cell service to stream would be a joke..

Also some of the areas we RV at there is marginal cell service at best and not suitable for streaming.

We are most likely gonna switch to Starlink WITH portability and drop our current internet provider at the house and cancel DTV..

A cost comparison for our current use shows that we are right at the break even point if we switched to Starlink and used YouTUbe TV along with our Netflix...

Our last trip to Montana I watched a guy setup his Starlink in about 5 minutes and after talking with him and observing his data DL and UL speeds I was impressed.

While it only takes me 10 minutes or so to setup our tripod and aim our DTV dish for the RV it still does noting for good internet access..

For us its just a procrastination thing.. much like when we finally decided to dump the "Landline" at the house.. we only have our cell phones now and for the last five years do not miss the landline at all

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:52 AM   #28
Matty Rich

I recently picked up a Starlink system. I chose the Portability option as I may eventually use it as a backup or secondary system for my home.
My work requires downloading and uploading of massive files.
Currently using it in SoCal and service has been very fast and stable. Upload speeds tend to vary, it may go fast for a few minutes, then slow down for a few and then fast again. But overall it’s been working great.
I also ditched directv for my trailer and now only use streaming services.
I did find a company that makes a ladder mount and pole for the Starlink.
Here is link for the mount and pole.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5S3MBNT...p_mob_ap_share
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	849BF5D4-060B-4F76-9544-290D563B2220.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	843.2 KB
ID:	42266  
Old 11-12-2022, 07:09 AM   #29
jasin1

if i were to get a portable star link i would almost immediately hide a airtag or tile in it….once people figure out what it is i’m sure they will start walking away….even though it’s probably registered to one person i would do it anyway. i’m car you accidentally left it at a campsite. ebikes and regular bikes also for airtags
Old 11-12-2022, 12:05 PM   #30
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
if i were to get a portable star link i would almost immediately hide a airtag or tile in it….once people figure out what it is i’m sure they will start walking away….even though it’s probably registered to one person i would do it anyway. i’m car you accidentally left it at a campsite. ebikes and regular bikes also for airtags
It is serialized and linked to the specific account and Starlink knows the exact location when it is connected
Old 11-12-2022, 02:39 PM   #31
jasin1

Quote:
It is serialized and linked to the specific account and Starlink knows the exact location when it is connected
well that’s good..i put an air tag on my bike and was amazed that i get a notification that i’m leaving my bike behind..my ipad also if i leave it ….it shows the almost exact location and has a compass sorta direction finder to home in on it when you get close…then you can sound the alarm feature and find it quickly…it’s pretty cool…i’m gonna put them on all my stuff
Old 11-13-2022, 12:17 PM   #32
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Ain't that the truth, we cut the cord a couple of years ago and went to Hulu Live but we rarely watch programs Live, and Hulu doesn't travel well so we're playing with Sling and YouTube TV so far YouTube is winning.
Javi you might try Fubo tv. It does travel well. Been using it for two years now. It all depends on channels you want.

Scott

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:46 AM   #33
Max23

What problems were you having with hulu?? I travel all over and never have a problem with it. My problem is cell service, but thats a whole nother issue. Anyway, ya, no problems with hulu while traveling. hmmmmm
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:22 AM   #34
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
What problems were you having with hulu?? I travel all over and never have a problem with it. My problem is cell service, but thats a whole nother issue. Anyway, ya, no problems with hulu while traveling. hmmmmm
I had Hulu Live and it didn't like me signing in my tv away from the house.

Not a problem with YouTube TV
Old 11-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #35
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Ain't that the truth, we cut the cord a couple of years ago and went to Hulu Live but we rarely watch programs Live, and Hulu doesn't travel well so we're playing with Sling and YouTube TV so far YouTube is winning.
I don't use Stalink but use campground wifi or 4g and have outside antennas for both and inside routers. I couldn't use Hulu Live at my home spot in the RV using my 4G (AT&T towers via Consumer Cellular). Told me had moved and I would have had to set up Hulu with different coordinates; you can only do this a couple times per year so I didn't. I could stream anything but could not use the live TV feature. Last time out, I had my wifi antenna being used with its router and found I could watch Hulu and the live TV feature if using router. I think I had used the Wifi at home via my home internet (fiber) provider and went through the router and now Hulu seems to think we are always at home I guess.

We get out 6-8 times a year for long weekends so Starlink really isn't cost effective and since we seldom go far from home I pick campgrounds with either a great AT&T tower 4G signal OR great wifi. With 8 dogs and 3 cats we likely are never to travel much more than we do now in the camper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 02:42 PM   #36
SR71 Jet Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
When we would “move” (or head out with the fiver)I used a different router in the RV than at home and the different IP address would think we moved. It only allowed this 4 time a year. It’s been quite awhile since we’ve had it, maybe it’s changed.

Scott

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 05:44 PM   #37
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
In the 4 years that we have been traveling out of our home area only once have we been in a place that we didn't get good enough Verizon cell service to stream. That was in Palo Duro Canyon in Texas.
We stayed in Palo Duro in the height of summer. Very hot, nothing much to do, no cell service ... Overhyped IMHO

Never again!
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:12 PM   #38
Badbart56

I can't speak for the RV version, but the home version is excellent! We run our home security system on it (with cell backup), two computers, two phones and five cameras and there is no lag. Nothing else available in my area besides HughesNet and ViaSat and we had them both and were very disappointed.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:14 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
We stayed in Palo Duro in the height of summer. Very hot, nothing much to do, no cell service ... Overhyped IMHO

Never again!

Come on Scott! The 2nd Grand Canyon? The history? Maybe a longhorn standing around somewhere?

Height of summer Palo Duro and most of TX is very hot, it's just part of it. Heck in TX I don't sweat until it's over 100. Of course if the humidity hits 70% and 80 degrees in other parts of the country where we go I'll need a couple of shirts.

Palo Duro isn't a "to do" place unless you count the Texas musical. It's really a place to sit, "absorb" and enjoy the surroundings. Other places offer nightlife and lively things but not in Palo Duro, that holds true for most any remote area which is what we enjoy. Don't know about overhyped as everything I've seen pretty much says what it is but it is all in the eye of the beholder.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:34 PM   #40
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post

Never again!
Maybe next time the circus will be there.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote