Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2022, 02:13 PM   #61
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1780 View Post
Good idea, however I’m pretty sure I’m overweight. Leaving for Florida in two weeks. Last year it pulled fine and no problems.
Well once again, the best feature of a 5th wheel, hides their biggest drawback!

The best feature is rock solid towing. Because of the location of the hitch in the TV, being overweight will not usually result in poor handling.

The worst drawback issue is you likely will never feel ill handling due to being overweight.

I strongly suggest you get to a scale that can give you three weights for setup. Steer axle, drive axle, and trailer axles. Then check your rear axle weight to your rear axle rating and the max rating of your tires.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 03:52 PM   #62
G Giroux

Loaded with water

Good point Dutcmen, those holding tanks are not equipped with baffels. So partially or full holding tanks will not only add weight, but could affect balance due to shifting weight.
G Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 03:57 PM   #63
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
My pin weight came in at 4,250# fully loaded... trailers GVRW at 18,000 If you want to stay within the sticker rules... a DRW is probably the best answer. Maybe a 3500 HEMI with auto-leveling suspension, but I'm not sure those exist.

A 3500 DRW hemi exists (or did) but not sure about the self leveling...but probably. The problem with the hemi is that although the truck gives you much more payload the hemi is strapped by a lack of power to pull a big trailer. Mine is 13390 loaded and that is ALL the 6.4 wants to pull comfortably. It's rated to pull more and could but I don't want to shell the engine or listen to it scream at 4500rpm for the heck of it. Therein lies the conundrum with a gas engine in a truck to pull a heavy RV; it gives more payload which allows it to pull a much larger RV....on paper. One has to keep in mind the limitations of the engine, truck, suspension no matter what the "brochure" says.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 05:18 PM   #64
travelin texans

Big heavy rvs require torque to get them rolling which a diesel provides at much lower rpms than gassers.
IMHO any rv weighing more than about 14k lbs should be towed with a diesel.
Most think of a diesel as a stinking black smoke belching rattling thing of the past. The last 15 +/- years they are relatively quiet, unless someone has altered it they do not smoke & have very little more exhaust smell than a gasser, but the towing power & torque are night/day difference better than even the big block gassers which tend to be VERY thirsty.
Currently the biggest issue now is the diesel prices, but honestly in several places I've been lately it's not that much more than gasoline. And again just my opinion, but I look for that to change after next Tuesday, better or worse.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 05:34 PM   #65
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Big heavy rvs require torque to get them rolling which a diesel provides at much lower rpms than gassers.
IMHO any rv weighing more than about 14k lbs should be towed with a diesel.
Most think of a diesel as a stinking black smoke belching rattling thing of the past. The last 15 +/- years they are relatively quiet, unless someone has altered it they do not smoke & have very little more exhaust smell than a gasser, but the towing power & torque are night/day difference better than even the big block gassers which tend to be VERY thirsty.
Currently the biggest issue now is the diesel prices, but honestly in several places I've been lately it's not that much more than gasoline. And again just my opinion, but I look for that to change after next Tuesday, better or worse.
Agreed with the above. On a side note we in the trucking industry are getting warnings that we face a diesel fuel shortage in coming days. Stand by. This could get bad.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:08 PM   #66
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Agreed with the above. On a side note we in the trucking industry are getting warnings that we face a diesel fuel shortage in coming days. Stand by. This could get bad.
I saw that, add the fact that a couple railroad unions have decided not to accept the new contract offers and it could get REAL bad.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 07:32 PM   #67
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
A 3500 DRW hemi exists (or did) but not sure about the self leveling...but probably. The problem with the hemi is that although the truck gives you much more payload the hemi is strapped by a lack of power to pull a big trailer. Mine is 13390 loaded and that is ALL the 6.4 wants to pull comfortably. It's rated to pull more and could but I don't want to shell the engine or listen to it scream at 4500rpm for the heck of it. Therein lies the conundrum with a gas engine in a truck to pull a heavy RV; it gives more payload which allows it to pull a much larger RV....on paper. One has to keep in mind the limitations of the engine, truck, suspension no matter what the "brochure" says.
A gas DRW, is more suited for carrying a large drop in camper.
I can’t use all of my 9,750# rear axle rating without exceeding GVWR. I could only put about 8,400# on it before exceeding GVWR.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:21 AM   #68
Greg1780

Well I’m out looking for a 3500 Diesel, not much to choose from, I like the Ram but nothing available at this time, but looking.
2021 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Diesel
Greg1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:15 AM   #69
rhagfo

Quote:
Well I’m out looking for a 3500 Diesel, not much to choose from, I like the Ram but nothing available at this time, but looking.
That 3500 best be a DRW. Based on the current weight of your current truck, you use up 993# of payload with hitch, passengers, and stuff. Most SRW have a payload in the 4,000# to 4,200# less 1,000# you are less than your current pin weight.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:44 AM   #70
wiredgeorge

Quote:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/spt_du...ype=DEAL_SCORE
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:23 AM   #71
jfk69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Winner, winner chicken dinner! If I were looking I’d be all over that ‘15 Ford dually Platinum at Labadie in Bay City. Only 100k miles. Nice truck and a “value” in this day and age. Hell, I might have to go look “just because” lol.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:46 AM   #72
wegone

I'd wait one more week to see if diesel will still be available without bending over, if at all....
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:15 AM   #73
Mike1056

Follow Up

Ok folks,
I did my due diligence and took the rig to that CAT scale. But beforehand I read up on my companion hitch and realized there are three point that need lubricating. So I took care of that and road to the scales with the slider widow open and sure enough the noise i was hearing is from the hitch and not the truck. But it is somewhat reduced with the hitch being properly greased. I did have the Graphite plate on there from the start but three other places needed attention.

Now to the scale results. Im attaching results. Its appears I am around 1080lbs over GVWR with everything loaded up in truck and trailer. I am not over rear axle rating but I am over GVWR. I jokingly said to the wife I could mount a rack on the back of the trailer and load my Harley on the back of the trailer to solve the issue.

So I might be in the market for a 36ft 5th wheel as its just the wife and I and we dont really need a 40 footer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221106_103232.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	42231  
Mike1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:01 AM   #74
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1056 View Post
Ok folks,
I did my due diligence and took the rig to that CAT scale. But beforehand I read up on my companion hitch and realized there are three point that need lubricating. So I took care of that and road to the scales with the slider widow open and sure enough the noise i was hearing is from the hitch and not the truck. But it is somewhat reduced with the hitch being properly greased. I did have the Graphite plate on there from the start but three other places needed attention.

Now to the scale results. Im attaching results. Its appears I am around 1080lbs over GVWR with everything loaded up in truck and trailer. I am not over rear axle rating but I am over GVWR. I jokingly said to the wife I could mount a rack on the back of the trailer and load my Harley on the back of the trailer to solve the issue.

So I might be in the market for a 36ft 5th wheel as its just the wife and I and we dont really need a 40 footer.
Mike, did you ever look at the payload placard in your driver door frame? Many of the 5th wheels in the 36 ft. range are likely going to be over the payload for a 3/4 ton truck. Trying to keep it real before you plunk down a bucket of money with RV prices still crazy high.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:33 AM   #75
sourdough
Site Team

Mike thanks for sharing the scale readings. Obviously you need either more truck or less RV. These days it's a toss up which way to go with pricing on either one the way it is. The sure thing is that you're not in a good place with weights no matter how you skin the cat.

You haven't posted YOUR payload capacity from inside the driver's door. That eliminates all the guessing by everyone on what that may be....it won't be 3k or more - more like 2300 or less??

Don't confuse trailer length with trailer weight...it doesn't work that way. Some trailers are much heavier than others even at a shorter length due to the layout, construction components etc. LOOK at the sticker on the driver front corner of the trailer for the gvw of the trailer. I suspect your current truck needs a small, ultra light 5th wheel...IF that will even work weight wise. If you like your current trailer go find that truck. It's probably out there somewhere, maybe with a few less/more bells and whistles and probably not at the price you wanted to pay but you just have to go find it. I found mine on the E coast of FL and I'm from TX - and I didn't get that "TX deal" I had hoped for either LOL. I looked for what I wanted well over a year and that is what I had to do to get it. I could have ordered but I'm not good at the waiting part.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:02 AM   #76
jsb5717

The used truck market is also quite strong. In fact I see trailers nudging down in price while the truck market stays strong. You might do better than you might think just selling your nearly-new truck in order to upgrade.

IMHO, if you’re going to go through all of that in order to better balance your load weights then you’re better off in the long run with more truck.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:22 AM   #77
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1056 View Post
Ok folks,

Well you are in a funky position, 11,080 on the truck with trailer attached, a 3500 SRW would cover that with with about 1,000# to spare. That said, your front axle looks a bit light or a 2021 CTD 4,800# was the front axle weight on our 2001 Ram 2500 CDT, our current 3500 is north of 5,200#.

Tags
tow, tow vehicle