Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2022, 05:40 AM   #1
jasin1

TPO roof characteristics

watched a video where a Montana factory manager explained that a tpo roof will actually expand and contract noticeably depending on the weather…said that you may see bubbles on the roof in cold weather but go out on a hot day and it will be tight as a snare drum…so if im looking at a rig in the fall or winter i shouldn’t be concerned about a roof with ripples in it ?
Old 10-23-2022, 05:48 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
watched a video where a Montana factory manager explained that a tpo roof will actually expand and contract noticeably depending on the weather…said that you may see bubbles on the roof in cold weather but go out on a hot day and it will be tight as a snare drum…so if im looking at a rig in the fall or winter i shouldn’t be concerned about a roof with ripples in it ?
The addiction still lives! All the worry in the world will not add one inch to your height. Why worry about bubbles if your youtube expert says they are okeydokey?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:55 AM   #3
jasin1

yeah i know …i may seem like i watch a lot of videos but i don’t watch hardly ANY other television ..it’s mostly research when i’m either trying to learn something or purchasing something…i use it like a virtual ever evolving encyclopedia brittanica collection…i watch street outlaws npk…deadliest catch and some gold rush ..an occasional football game and all of those are in 20-30 min increments because that’s as long as i can usually sit still

i have an enormous book collection that grows from almost every camping trip and at any one time i’m reading 3 or 4 different books before i go to sleep

im really just addicted to knowledge and the main reason i like the forum is it challenges me to figure things out from problems other people are having

my favorite place was the library when i was a kid and the internet is just a virtual library if you choose to use it that way..

oh and the occasional funny video doesn’t hurt either
Old 10-23-2022, 06:14 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I have a TPO roof. My last was EPDM. I've not had bubbles or billowing on either in cold or hot weather. We've seen those issues as illustrated by some of our members' posts but I would think, IMO, if my roof started bubbling or billowing I had an issue and would not consider it normal or leave it "as is". From what we've read something like that is probably going to be considered "cosmetic" by Keystone, which is also implied from that video apparently, but I would disagree. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:20 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

For some reason I just remembered an old joke, can'timagine why.... A guy shows up for work looking bad and clutching his belly. A coworker asks what's wrong, "did you drink too much beer last night?". "No" said the man, "I gave up drinking beer for Lent and the whiskey is tearing up my stomach!"
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:21 AM   #6
Mikendebbie

Forum member ChuckS has several excellent videos on his YouTube channel
“The Alpine Fifth Wheel Guy” about roof maintenance.
The screen shot below is from a video he made about roof inspection before long term winter storage. He shows an example of wrinkled area on his roof not to worry about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6C26DB4-3CAB-4B56-B7D2-FE64C81FAF82.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	42073  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:45 AM   #7
jasin1

i guess my response did have a classic “ i got it under control” feel to it

Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:45 AM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Forum member ChuckS has several excellent videos on his YouTube channel
“The Alpine Fifth Wheel Guy” about roof maintenance.
The screen shot below is from a video he made about roof inspection before long term winter storage. He shows an example of wrinkled area on his roof not to worry about.
thanks will check it out
Old 10-23-2022, 06:48 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
For some reason I just remembered an old joke, can'timagine why.... A guy shows up for work looking bad and clutching his belly. A coworker asks what's wrong, "did you drink too much beer last night?". "No" said the man, "I gave up drinking beer for Lent and the whiskey is tearing up my stomach!"
yesh i guess i derserved that lol
Old 10-23-2022, 08:12 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
yesh i guess i derserved that lol
Hope you take it as it was intended, all in fun. Just an excuse to tell a "dad joke".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 08:24 AM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Hope you take it as it was intended, all in fun. Just an excuse to tell a "dad joke".
no worries! i took it all as good natured ribbing
Old 10-27-2022, 06:12 AM   #12
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The addiction still lives! All the worry in the world will not add one inch to your height. Why worry about bubbles if your youtube expert says they are okeydokey? :lol:
Not all YouTube videos are "full of it" I stand behind the videos I have on my YouTube Channel regarding bubbles seen on many TPO membranes...

Not all will have these.. but most will.. Common sense, a bit of expertise and a call or two to the maker of the roof material will often clear up most folks concerns with regards to bubbles on their TPO roof membrane..

My 2014 Keystone Alpine uses the Alpha System TPO membrane.. It has had small bubbles since the day I climbed on the roof at the dealership to inspect the roof while doing my PDI..
** Alpha systems clearly states this is a normal occurrence and is not cause for alarm provided there are no nails, screws, staples, etc underneath that are causing the bubbles to appear

In NINE YEARS of towing I have never had the "Big Balloon" while towing.. The bubbles move around and often disappear completely depending upon the outside temps..

I am not an RV expert but have owned them for well over 45 years and have repaired and maintained everything ever installed on them..

I am not an RV expert and have never met one.. I do however, have skill sets that exceed most any out there

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof