Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2022, 02:08 AM   #1
Weldon

Northern Kentucky

We are starting to plan a trip to KY to visit the Creation Museum and the Ark, probably March to May timeframe in 2023. Trip will probably be around a week total. We will Travel with other families who have no problem tent camping, and another family that doesn't camp at all. I may be the only dad pulling a TT. The non-campers can stay in a hotel or cabin. Any CG suggestion? Also, the trip is about 6.5 hrs from Suwanee, GA. Looking for something to do close to half way through the drive to stretch legs and break up the drive. All of us love the outdoors and are hikers. Open to all suggestions.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:35 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Jason this isn't directly answering your question but thought I would throw it out. You enjoy being with family and the kids; you might look into Noah and the Arc in Branson, MO for a trip one of these days. It's a musical/play on a surround stage with all kinds of live animals and birds. Might google it and check it out if you haven't been there.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:06 AM   #3
dutchmensport

We stayed at Kincaid State Park the first week in September. It's a really nice State Park, but a little drive to the Creation Museum. It is is within comfortable driving distance to the Ark Encounter. That's why we chose this state park.

Sites look a bit deceiving (back in's) but the campground was full when we were there. We we were the longest, biggest, and tallest thing there... our 41 foot Fifth Wheel on site 3, across the road from the dump station. At first, I thought, OH MY! Did we make a mistake getting this site. It looked impossible to back into with our rig. But once I got positioned, it went right in!

They have an entire section for tent camping, and tent campers can park int he RV sites also. It's a really, really quiet campground. We were there for 10 days (2 week-ends) and during the week days we were about the only one there. It was so dark at night.

Anyway, especially for the Ark Encounter, this is a good choice of campgrounds, but a little drive to Creation Museum.

Oh, one final edit:

If you do decide to go to this State Park towing a trailer, DO NOT follow your GPS. It will take you down some really narrow back country roads. The drive is fantastic! UNTIL you have an oncoming car. The roads are wide enough for just 1 car. It made for some VERY interesting challenges towing my behemoth. When we came out, we were on the main road again, and I said to my wife, .... Why in the world did it take us THAT way! This came out on a main road and it would have been so much easier.

My wife said then ... but if we would have taken the main roads (on the paper map) ... we would have missed all that beautiful scenery, interesting houses, farms, fields, and forests, not to mention the opportunity you just had to continue improving your towing skills when those cars came the other direction!

I just shut up at that point!

When we left, we shut GPS off and followed the paper map. No problems then.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

If you think Branson might be a stopover. Try Eureka Springs and visit the Passion Play. It is a panoramic play that lasts a couple hours and is well worth the stop. There are several other must see attractions on the site. Eureka Springs is just south of Branson.
https://www.greatpassionplay.org/
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #5
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Jason this isn't directly answering your question but thought I would throw it out. You enjoy being with family and the kids; you might look into Noah and the Arc in Branson, MO for a trip one of these days. It's a musical/play on a surround stage with all kinds of live animals and birds. Might google it and check it out if you haven't been there.
Never heard of it, but then again, never heard of the KY ark until a year ago. We would really enjoy it, and it gives me another reason to camp and reinforce our values. I really appreciate the suggestion!!! We will check it out and try to make it another destination. Thank you
Old 10-18-2022, 01:44 PM   #6
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
We stayed at Kincaid State Park the first week in September. It's a really nice State Park, but a little drive to the Creation Museum. It is is within comfortable driving distance to the Ark Encounter. That's why we chose this state park.

Sites look a bit deceiving (back in's) but the campground was full when we were there. We we were the longest, biggest, and tallest thing there... our 41 foot Fifth Wheel on site 3, across the road from the dump station. At first, I thought, OH MY! Did we make a mistake getting this site. It looked impossible to back into with our rig. But once I got positioned, it went right in!

They have an entire section for tent camping, and tent campers can park int he RV sites also. It's a really, really quiet campground. We were there for 10 days (2 week-ends) and during the week days we were about the only one there. It was so dark at night.

Anyway, especially for the Ark Encounter, this is a good choice of campgrounds, but a little drive to Creation Museum.

Oh, one final edit:

If you do decide to go to this State Park towing a trailer, DO NOT follow your GPS. It will take you down some really narrow back country roads. The drive is fantastic! UNTIL you have an oncoming car. The roads are wide enough for just 1 car. It made for some VERY interesting challenges towing my behemoth. When we came out, we were on the main road again, and I said to my wife, .... Why in the world did it take us THAT way! This came out on a main road and it would have been so much easier.

My wife said then ... but if we would have taken the main roads (on the paper map) ... we would have missed all that beautiful scenery, interesting houses, farms, fields, and forests, not to mention the opportunity you just had to continue improving your towing skills when those cars came the other direction!

Much appreciated. I'm going to hand my phone to Mrs. Weldon, let her read your post and watch the map, and let her navigate while I shut my protein trap. These are the 'learnings' I needed prior to our trip to this specific location. Thank you
Old 10-18-2022, 01:48 PM   #7
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
If you think Branson might be a stopover. Try Eureka Springs and visit the Passion Play. It is a panoramic play that lasts a couple hours and is well worth the stop. There are several other must see attractions on the site. Eureka Springs is just south of Branson.
https://www.greatpassionplay.org/
I can see our trips going further west, which I appreciate. My goal is to get them ok with a trip to Yellowstone. I've been there twice but by TV only. Sounds like something we would really like to check out George. Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of it before but I know we would love to see it. I'm going to put it in the "honey look what we can do " short list
Old 10-18-2022, 06:57 PM   #8
rogerinamarillo

We stayed at Three Springs Campground near Corinth KY last month and were very pleased with the experience. It was a 10 mile or so drive to the Ark Experience.
rogerinamarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 02:22 AM   #9
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinamarillo View Post
We stayed at Three Springs Campground near Corinth KY last month and were very pleased with the experience. It was a 10 mile or so drive to the Ark Experience.
Perfect!! Thanks
Old 10-25-2022, 05:18 PM   #10
linux3

Just prior to COVID we stayed at Three Springs Campground.
Quite nice and they do have tent sites.
Pretty close to the Ark Thing.
Water and 30 / 50 electric but no sewer hookup. Dump station at the exit.

http://www.threespringscampgroundand...--pricing.html
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 02:11 AM   #11
WNY Bullet

The Kentucky Horse Park Campground isn't too far away and has the Horse Park Museum right there on the grounds.
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:49 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Pre-COVID we planned a trip to the Ark. About a month prior, we tried to make reservations at all the campgrounds in the area. They were all "booked solid"...

So, once your plans are somewhat firm, go ahead and start looking for reservations. With the multiple families in tents and trailers, trying to share nearby spaces, the earlier you get reservations the better.

Trying a month before the trip, the closest we could get to the Ark for 4 days (Monday-Thursday) was in Georgetown, about 35 miles away.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 01:04 AM   #13
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Pre-COVID we planned a trip to the Ark. About a month prior, we tried to make reservations at all the campgrounds in the area. They were all "booked solid"...

So, once your plans are somewhat firm, go ahead and start looking for reservations. With the multiple families in tents and trailers, trying to share nearby spaces, the earlier you get reservations the better.

Trying a month before the trip, the closest we could get to the Ark for 4 days (Monday-Thursday) was in Georgetown, about 35 miles away.
Good idea John. Will do. Thanks for the tip
Old 10-30-2022, 04:40 PM   #14
Gobirds38

Try http://northernkyrv.com/

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 05:09 PM   #15
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post

Oh, one final edit:

Dutchman,

I loved the pictures of the campground. But in picture 2, is that a Blenheim Cavalier I see?
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 10:17 PM   #16
rolopayne

We are leaving Louisiana Dec 12, 5 days in Memphis then 3 days at the ark and creation. We are staying at Three springs. will give you a update after the trip.
rolopayne is offline   Reply With Quote