Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2022, 12:26 AM   #1
rhagfo

JC Refrigeration 12 volt compressor cooling unit

Well our cooling unit has failed, pretty sure no cooling on gas or electric. Noticed some dreaded yellow powder and a slight smell of ammonia.
So now looking at the JC Refrigeration 12 volt compressor cooling unit. I have the room for it, and it seems like it should work better then the absorption unit.
Are there any members that have real world experience with one of there units?
Our refer is a Dometic RM2862, the replacement unit runs $785, install is $0.00 as I will do myself.

We replaced the cooling unit 8/3/2018, so got just over four years out of a new unit. A new absorption unit runs $740, and a rebuilt is $450. That puts the cost on par with absorption unit.

We full Time and mostly park host, so almost always have power, we have two Interstate SRM-27 batteries in parallel, if without power.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 03:19 AM   #2
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well our cooling unit has failed, pretty sure no cooling on gas or electric. Noticed some dreaded yellow powder and a slight smell of ammonia.
So now looking at the JC Refrigeration 12 volt compressor cooling unit. I have the room for it, and it seems like it should work better then the absorption unit.
Are there any members that have real world experience with one of there units?
Our refer is a Dometic RM2862, the replacement unit runs $785, install is $0.00 as I will do myself.

We replaced the cooling unit 8/3/2018, so got just over four years out of a new unit. A new absorption unit runs $740, and a rebuilt is $450. That puts the cost on par with absorption unit.

We full Time and mostly park host, so almost always have power, we have two Interstate SRM-27 batteries in parallel, if without power.
This past May, I had JC Refrigeration install a 12VDC Twin Compressor mod on my Norcold (Nevercold) fridge. I have struggled with that fridge working correctly almost since day one....which was early 2019. The Norcold 2118 is a large, 18 cu. ft. unit and I decided to go 12VDC vs. doing a residential fridge and having to add an inverter for it (to power it while traveling). I already knew before hand that I was going to upgrade by batteries, which were 5+ year old Trojan T105s.

I built a 302AH LiFePO battery from scratch and now have more than sufficient battery power for the fridge. The day of install by JC Refrigeration was a 10:30AM appt time....and at 12:30, the unit was installed, running, and cooling down. By 4:30 that afternoon, the freezer was at -2° and the fresh food compartment was at 31°. I obviously turned the thermostat to a warmer setting for the fresh food area, and it settled on 34/35 degrees.

With the twin compressor unit, there will be a separate control for the fresh food area and the freezer area....not sure if it's like that on a single compressor unit. On my Norcold, the front 1 - 9 settings on the "eyebrow" temperature controller take care of the fresh food compartment. Then, in the rear area or the fridge, down by the compressors, there is a separate digital temperature controller. It's fine with me being back there since most folks don't change the freezer temperature setting very often....if ever.

I am more than happy with the results and the way mine turned out. It works very well and during part of the trip back home from Shipshewana, IN, we had a 6+ hour leg of driving. The fully charged LFP battery was powering the fridge and it used just under 37 amp hours. That would translate into just under 150AH of usage over a 24 hour period, but of course that could vary depending on usage, door openings, outside temperature, etc, etc. Remember though, that is battery usage consumption for TWO Compressors....a single compressor package for the smaller fridges would obviously be less than that, so AH consumption would also be less than mine.

Here is a pic of the back of the 2118 with the new twin compressors installed. Just to the left of the larger compressor (the one for the freezer only), you can see the new DTC for the freezer section. Holler if you have anymore questions. I didn't do the install myself, as old age and trying to wrestle a large fridge out of the cubicle and onto the living room floor of the trailer, just wasn't in the cards for me.....and then try to wrestle it back in place.

Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 04:03 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I have installed 3 of their 120V units on the 2118 and if the 12V is even remotely as good, you’ll be more than pleased. Instructions are clear and had pictures to help.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 04:17 AM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have installed 3 of their 120V units on the 2118 and if the 12V is even remotely as good, you’ll be more than pleased. Instructions are clear and had pictures to help.
Good to hear Chuckster.....we are more than happy with ours, especially in light of all the issues we had with the stock unit. It really is like having all the advantages of a residential unit.....very fast cool down, stable temperatures, pretty quiet operation, etc......plus it fit right back into the same place it came out of with zero modifications.

Old 10-09-2022, 04:55 AM   #5
rhagfo

XRated, thanks for the feedback, I plan on calling on Monday morning and most likely placing an order. My only concern is that my current failed cooling unit is a JC "New" unit that is only four years old. It cost $700 four years ago, and it has defiantly failed, as last night we both noticed an ammonia odor in the rig.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:11 AM   #6
xrated

Quote:
XRated, thanks for the feedback, I plan on calling on Monday morning and most likely placing an order. My only concern is that my current failed cooling unit is a JC "New" unit that is only four years old. It cost $700 four years ago, and it has defiantly failed, as last night we both noticed an ammonia odor in the rig.
If I were you, I would certainly mention that to them. Maybe, as some sort of compensation....and a repeat customer they might discount things for you at least somewhat. It's always worth a try.

Old 10-10-2022, 04:29 PM   #7
rhagfo

Well new 12 volt compressor cooling will be on its way tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:10 PM   #8
xrated

Quote:
Well new 12 volt compressor cooling will be on its way tomorrow.
Great news, you're going to love it!

Old 10-25-2022, 06:28 PM   #9
rhagfo

Well the unit arrived and took close to a week to get around to installing it.
The two hardest parts of the install were getting it out of the box, and lining up the holes for the screws in the freezer.
Results, with the control panel set to 3 after two hours the refrigerator was at 38 degrees, and the freezer at 3 degrees.

Not really anymore expensive than a new absorption unit, and so far far superior. Not really a hard DIY project.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:54 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s great news!! You should get years of trouble free use.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:01 PM   #11
Ron

Yep have the same unit from Cooling Unit Warehouse since 2018 and love it, runs way cooler than the Factory Norcold unit, you can hold your hand on the boiler and it is luke warm compare to the Norcold which so hot you could fry an egg on it lol.....
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 02:59 AM   #12
xrated

Quote:
The two hardest parts of the install were getting it out of the box, and lining up the holes for the screws in the freezer.
Results, with the control panel set to 3 after two hours the refrigerator was at 38 degrees, and the freezer at 3 degrees.

Not really anymore expensive than a new absorption unit, and so far far superior. Not really a hard DIY project.
I've been wondering and waiting for you to post up on getting the unit and installing it. Good to hear how well it went for you. Welcome to the world of having a "Norcold" that actually works well....LOL!

Old 10-30-2022, 03:58 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:

Well it has been 5 days, and been playing a bit with the thermistor and fridge settings. Thermistor towards bottom of fin, control panel set to 3 out of five. The refrigerator is settling in between 34 to 36 degrees, the freezer is a different story. The I am a little worried about my temperature sensor in the freezer. It swings between 5 and 10 degrees, but we bought ice cream two days ago, and it is rock hard, hard to scoop. I thought freezer needed to be near zero for hard ice cream.
My concern on the sensor is that it got stuck at 15 degrees, in the dorm refrigerator we acquired until the new cooling unit arrived. I sat it on the counter for about an hour and still read 15 degrees. Did a hard reset on the base unit and both sensors, could be correct, but seems to be reading warm.
All I need to know right now is the ice cream is rock hard!