Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
NC Camper

Awning Recall 22-434

Keystone RV Company (Keystone) is recalling certain 2022 Dutchmen Aspen Trail, Coleman, Colorado, Voltage, Yukon, Keystone Carbon, Cougar, Hideout, Montana, Outback, Passport, Raptor, Retreat, Springdale, Sprinter and 2022-2023 Keystone Bullet travel trailers. The electric retractable awning has a welded seam on the fabric that may separate, potentially allowing the awning to drop beyond normal operation.

https://www.rvtravel.com/keystone-rv...0000-towables/
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #2
RJS3791RD

I have a unit that was built late in the date range of the impacted units. (2022 Montana 3791RD). Getting back to my dealer is VERY inconvenient. I have read the published information, but I was looking for more real world experiences. What happened when yours failed? Did it come apart completely or just start to separate? I was curious how many people have had issues related to this campaign / recall?

Any additional info would be appreciated
Old 12-14-2022, 05:56 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS3791RD View Post
I have a unit that was built late in the date range of the impacted units. (2022 Montana 3791RD). Getting back to my dealer is VERY inconvenient. I have read the published information, but I was looking for more real world experiences. What happened when yours failed? Did it come apart completely or just start to separate? I was curious how many people have had issues related to this campaign / recall?

Any additional info would be appreciated
You can access the entire "recall file" with all documents here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/K...COUGAR#recalls

Most of the documents are correspondence between Lippert, Keystone and NHTSA, but the letters to owners and to dealerships are also in the file.

Note that the 2022 Montana trailers that were affected are only the ones in the VIN numbers ranging from N4703457 - N4703762. So your trailer may or may not be "in the recalled units.

The "important document for you" if you intend to avoid taking the trailer to a dealership for inspection, repair and/or replacement of the awning fabric, is the last document in the folder. It's titled: "Remedy Instructions and TSB
RCRIT-22V604-1953.pdf"

If you download that file, it will detail what to inspect and how to repair/replace the fabric. Essentially, if the inspection reveals a defect LESS THAN 6", repair is permitted. If the defect is GREATER THAN 6", then the awning fabric should be replaced.

You may already be aware of this, but you do not have to return to your selling dealer for the repair/replacement. You can contact any Keystone dealership (and probably any of the other brands (Dutchman, Coleman, etc) since it's really a Lippert recall, not a Keystone recall.

Coleman is a Camping World brand, so if there's a CW near you, they should be able to schedule the repair/replacement for you.

Any questions, post them and we'll try to get you some answers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 06:58 PM   #4
RJS3791RD

Thank you for the follow up. I have four large “big box” RV centers near me that are refusing service work unless purchased from them. Thankfully after 40 years in the automotive service industry, I am pretty good with my hands so I take care of most of my own needs. My VIN falls in the range so I know at a minimum it requires an inspection. I’ll down load the docs and read the repair / inspection process. More to follow.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:42 AM   #5
Rbow04

I have 2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS. I have had trouble with my awning day one and had it back to the dealer twice. The awning has folds and fabric markings and does not roll up properly. Keystone has denied replacing it. I just learned of a recall. Does anyone have any information or suggestions of my next steps.
Rbow04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 07:01 AM   #6
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbow04 View Post
I have 2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS. I have had trouble with my awning day one and had it back to the dealer twice. The awning has folds and fabric markings and does not roll up properly. Keystone has denied replacing it. I just learned of a recall. Does anyone have any information or suggestions of my next steps.
I would go back to #3 thread on John's guidance. Good Luck.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:58 AM   #7
Rbow04

Can’t find #3 thread John’s guidance
Rbow04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 03:51 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

Scroll up to the 3rd post in this thread by JRTJH where John provides clear info on the issue
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, recall