Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #1
jasin1

Key tv solution

well finally figured out how to fix my key tv issues with losing signals and cutting in and out…pulled and looked at the key tv module and found all the wires look like someone used their teeth to strip the wires and put on the connector ends…some of the wires were loose but nothing short of replacing the wire ends will fix it..most of the coax has all the loose shielding wire sticking out of the connectors…looks like a 10 year old did it.

my solution ??? $30 rca tabletop amplified antenna…i couldn’t get one channel to come in at a spot where we always have a good tv signal…all were pixelated and cutting in and out..

went to walmart and voila…14 clear channels…im done messing with the key tv

RCA has a signal finder app also they say to use for best placement but i didn’t need it here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AD144C19-C9A7-44B9-B280-80DA9E468E3F.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	41565  
Old 09-13-2022, 12:12 PM   #2
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
found all the wires look like someone used their teeth to strip the wires and put on the connector ends…some of the wires were loose but nothing short of replacing the wire ends will fix it..most of the coax has all the loose shielding wire sticking out of the connectors…looks like a 10 year old did it.
See now, THAT should have been your photo. Somebody needs to cudgel Keystone profusely about the quality of their KeyTV installations.
Old 09-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #3
jasin1

here’s what i have …i don’t mind replacing all the ends but don’t want to have to remove the roof dome to access the connector up there..probably just as bad…and they didn’t leave any extra wire to cut back
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C0EC5D0-11F6-44FC-B1B5-541F9EE4817C.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	41568   Click image for larger version

Name:	70EEA960-0AD2-47F7-886E-885F4DBE3A69.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	41569  
Old 09-13-2022, 03:02 PM   #4
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
here’s what i have …i don’t mind replacing all the ends but don’t want to have to remove the roof dome to access the connector up there..probably just as bad…and they didn’t leave any extra wire to cut back
Those are some of the worst ever coax ends installed that I’ve seen.. the install from the factory was less than Bush league.. and it so easy to properly install RG6 F connectors these days .. provided the person has any kind of a clue.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:11 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Those are some of the worst ever coax ends installed that I’ve seen.. the install from the factory was less than Bush league.. and it so easy to properly install RG6 F connectors these days .. provided the person has any kind of a clue.
yeah overall i’ve been very happy with my cougar fifth wheel but this has been a problem from day one..i may just start trying to replace all of the connectors.

i really wish there was a easy way to access the dome without having to remove from the roof..the access panel for the winegard gateway is too small to reach the coax connection
Old 09-13-2022, 03:59 PM   #6
LHaven

It's an ugly installation, to be sure, and not workmanlike... but nothing here supports it necessarily being electrically unsound. You're just seeing untrimmed leftover shielding. If you doubt the connection, run an ohmmeter from each shield barrel at this end to the corresponding top or in-cabin shield barrels, and look for high readings.

Don't forget, these are builders who routinely "drill" vent holes in your roof by slamming down the hammer claw and wrenching it around a little. Expecting them to trim off shield whiskers may be asking too much.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:11 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
It's an ugly installation, to be sure, and not workmanlike... but nothing here supports it necessarily being electrically unsound. You're just seeing untrimmed leftover shielding. If you doubt the connection, run an ohmmeter from each shield barrel at this end to the corresponding top or in-cabin shield barrels, and look for high readings.

Don't forget, these are builders who routinely "drill" vent holes in your roof by slamming down the hammer claw and wrenching it around a little. Expecting them to trim off shield whiskers may be asking too much.
i’ve been having intermittent problems from day one with the key tv..sometimes if i mess with the wires it comes in better for a short period of time..two of the connectors were loose at the key tv module and i suspect other connectors are likely loose around the trailer…when someone does such a sloppy execution of step 4 of a 4 step process it makes you naturally question steps 1 thru 3…

i’m just tired of messing with it…the $30 antenna i bought has giving me a far superior picture all day today
Old 09-13-2022, 04:25 PM   #8
LHaven

I have to say, Keystone owners who haven't found loose coax connectors probably haven't ever examined their coax connectors. I think the QC standard is, if the cable doesn't fall off and swing, they get a checkmark.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:56 AM   #9
JJnLilly

Poor TV

Not really happy with this Winegard 360 TV reception. Within 20 miles of TV towers and signals pixilate. From what I read there should be a power light in the connection box but don't see it. None behind the TV nor in the "KeyTV" box on the outside.
Been thinking of getting a separate antenna and running it back through the cable line.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:04 AM   #10
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJnLilly View Post
Not really happy with this Winegard 360 TV reception. Within 20 miles of TV towers and signals pixilate. From what I read there should be a power light in the connection box but don't see it. None behind the TV nor in the "KeyTV" box on the outside.
Been thinking of getting a separate antenna and running it back through the cable line.
IF there is NO Blue LED light lit up on the Key TV module then either it has no 12 volts DC power to it or it is deflective..

The 360 antenna on the roof needs 12 volts DC to power its preamp.. without 12 volts DC to the roof OTA antenna its a "Brick" basically

The power to that antenna is passed from the Key TV module to the roof antenna across the coax port on the Key TV module..

Remove that F connector and measure for 12 volts DC at center of connection and ground for that coax... if no power then you need to find out why

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote