Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2022, 05:22 PM   #1
Rocketsled

Oh the discoveries of that new trailer...

We traded waay up. Didn't plan on it, but when a two axle toy hauler with factory paint and a queen bed (need the shelf for the CPAP) falls into your lap...well.

It's a 'nearly new 2019' that was really well taken care of, always stored covered, used a few times in the last couple of years. (It's not a Keystone, but I like you guys, so I'm posting here.) and hey, one of the features was 4 6v batteries.

We're seeing the wrinkles to the purchase. I didn't expect it to be ACTUALLY new, and it's in grand shape...but we parked it in the new slot, uh, yesterday...and today when we went to turn on the Generator to run the AC's...it wouldn't start. I'd pulled the house power disconnect (should have had a clue when driving up and my phone said 'wanna connect to the trailer wifi?!)

Jumped the Jenny with the truck, let the system run a good long while...then went to disconnect the batteries at the terminal and looked at them a little closer. Super Start? 640 CCA?

PO did a lot of glamping, never more than an overnight at a Harvest Host...which is about all these batteries are good for.

I have 2 100ah LiFEPO4s to bring over from the last trailer...I just need to rig up a charging solution as the house charger is ignorant of the ways of Lithium.

Man....he didn't even splurge on the SuperStart Pros...or even the Platinums!

For what he paid for these 4 batteries at O'Rileys, he could have bought one good one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4805.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	41464  
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:19 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

If the PO only camped occasionally for one night, with a generator, then why would he waste money buying better batteries? He bought the batteries that fit his or use, not your use.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:12 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Congratulations, it sounds like you got a great deal regardless of the batteries.

Personally, whether a used trailer or a used motor vehicle, I have never had any expectations in regard to the quality or prior care of the batteries and always plan on a replacement sooner rather than later. I have seen people remove a battery they recently replaced and drop in a junk one thats been sitting in their garage just to get rid of it, instead of letting the new battery go with the vehicle they are selling.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:13 AM   #4
Rocketsled

Sure, and there’s no telling how old or well cared for these batteries are. He had power where the trailer was stored and for the most part is probably wasn’t a problem for him. Still. For the money spent, it could have been spent better.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover