Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2022, 03:49 PM   #41
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here's where I'm at...I think...sort of. Since "changes" have been made that impact energy my electric bill has doubled if I stay here and run the A/C from a couple of years ago. In summer that amounts to quite a bit so leaving saves me hundreds a month. Winter I run on gas heat and last year that wasn't bad but still have to wait for new surprises. For us leaving in winter then staying in summer is bassackwards for most any reason other than my DD and GDs live in FL. Summer there is just not what DW will do. So..

We talked about it on the way home and may try to figure out how to use the shoulder seasons (using our timeshare we always stayed in the shoulder seasons) to make it work out better. I just hate the hot, dry and wind (and the only thing you see is brown dirt, no trees and no water). Where to go in the middle of summer and 105? I'm still working on that too.
Same boat here. We would save a few bucks in the summer not being in the house. I’m just not going to stay in a dirty dusty dry RV park. By the same token I’m not too crazy about towing to Michigan or Maine. That’s like 5 or 6 hard days towing. I’ll go as far as the Smokies but it’s questionable as far as the weather, warm and humid vs. hot and humid.
I’ve got a couple “Plan B” ideas. There are a couple of spots west of Walsenburg (LaVeta) that might could work. Absolutely nothing to do but sit around and tell lies though.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 04:53 PM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Same boat here. We would save a few bucks in the summer not being in the house. I’m just not going to stay in a dirty dusty dry RV park. By the same token I’m not too crazy about towing to Michigan or Maine. That’s like 5 or 6 hard days towing. I’ll go as far as the Smokies but it’s questionable as far as the weather, warm and humid vs. hot and humid.
I’ve got a couple “Plan B” ideas. There are a couple of spots west of Walsenburg (LaVeta) that might could work. Absolutely nothing to do but sit around and tell lies though.

La Veta, La Veta pass and that area is pretty but a long way to a loaf of bread. That loop from Walsenburg through La Veta on to Stonewall and down to Trinidad is a very nice loop - not so going to Ft. Garland and on to Alamosa. All my family used to stay at a company ranch on that loop by Stonewall every summer. Ate my first trout for breakfast caught there; learned to fly fish on that stream and at North Lake.

Walsenburg has more stuff now than it used to and can probably take care of you and depending on where you stay Trinidad may have more options; it's fair sized anymore. I believe there is a park or 2 around Monument Lake and Stonewall. You've got a big enough rig to store some supplies so you wouldn't have to go to a "town" every day. Myself I like driving those mountain roads looking at the scenery...usually. There used to be some forest roads that took you to some stream accesses for fishing. If you don't like kicking around in the mountains there probably won't be much to do though other than fish or tell lies. Don't know how it is now but I believe it was La Veta pass (or somewhere right in that vicinity) that I took a narrow 2 track right on the edge of a deep ravine that went for miles (I didn't know that). Finally got to the end (had some pretty "exciting" moments) at a more traveled road and there was a sign that said "one way only", hmmm the other end had no sign and I was going the wrong way. Thankfully I didn't encounter any traffic! So you might actually be able to find something to get into.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 12:45 AM   #43
gearhead

Cruising the backroads is fine entertainment for me. Circle the Wagons RV Park in LaVeta looks like it could work.
We typically pack too much food and get back home with almost as much as we left with.
The weather is a bit warmer than I expected. Several days in July at 100F and above, cooling down to high 50's to mid 60's overnight, per Accuweather.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 09-08-2022, 11:52 AM   #44
gearhead

I was watching news coverage of the queens death. Videos from her Scottish castle showing everyone in sweaters and jackets. That’s my kind of place.
But United flights to Aberdeen are painfully expensive.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS