Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #1
linux3

De-winterizing Now?

I'm the king of winterizing.
Takes me less than 30 minutes and everything survives Western NY winters.

In the spring I drop my TT off at the dealers for the NYS inspection and Delux de-winterize. This includes sanitizing all the lines and tanks and I'm good to go.

Last October I was scheduled to get my right knee replaced. Nope, no elective surgery.
Then last February.... Sorry.

I had my knee replaced June 22.
I got our TT out of storage in late April but I was on the wait list for surgery so I didn't want to drop out rig off at the dealers for service and maybe not be able to get it back. Remember, right knee, the one that works the go pedal. My DW doesn't even drive he truck much less the TV and TT.

So, we are leaving for the first trip of the season tomorrow. First couple of nights we have reservations at a site with full hookups.
I have never done a de-wintersize. It'll be interesting.

I've read a few FAQ's here and I think I'm good to go.
One question.
The low point drains. If I just connect city water and flush everything will there still be pink stuff pooled at the drains?

Do I connect city water and open the low points?

I'm good to go on the water heater and with full hookups I can flush gray and black tanks.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:27 PM   #2
dutchmensport

That's all you have to do, just flush the lines until you see no more foaming. Yes, you want to drain the low points too.

When you "think" you have the lines clear, catch some water in a clear glass. See if it really is clear yet. Just because it looks clear coming out of the running faucet does mean it really is clear. Do the clear glass test. Then after the glass is clear, taste the water. Even after the water clears up, there can still be an after taste. It usually all clears up after a couple days of using water. But if you are a bit OCD, then flush it until there is no more taste at every faucet, hot and cold.

And by the way, the RV antifreeze is safe to drink. Otherwise, it would never be used in your water system. It might taste awful, but it won't hurt you.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:08 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
That's all you have to do, just flush the lines until you see no more foaming. Yes, you want to drain the low points too.

When you "think" you have the lines clear, catch some water in a clear glass. See if it really is clear yet. Just because it looks clear coming out of the running faucet does mean it really is clear. Do the clear glass test. Then after the glass is clear, taste the water. Even after the water clears up, there can still be an after taste. It usually all clears up after a couple days of using water. But if you are a bit OCD, then flush it until there is no more taste at every faucet, hot and cold.

And by the way, the RV antifreeze is safe to drink. Otherwise, it would never be used in your water system. It might taste awful, but it won't hurt you.
You're right, it won't hurt you, but RV antifreeze (propylene glycol) is a kissing cousin to Miralax (Polyethylene glycol 3350)... You know, the stuff you drink to "clean everything out before a colonoscopy".....

So, while a little bit probably won't do much of anything, an "extended dose" from the low point drains and left overs in the plumbing supply lines may be enough to make you wonder if your trip included a few tacos from south of the border......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:21 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

You might want to flush the water lines and then remember to open you water heater bypass so the tank can fill especially before turning on the electric heating element if you are in the habit of using the electric heating element.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterizing