Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
KC10Chief

HOW TO: Install second air conditioner with InCommand system!

I scoured the internet on how to install a second air conditioner on my 2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS with the In-Command control panel and only came up with others that were asking how to do it. So, I decided to take it on myself, got it done successfully after a lot of phone calls, and figured I'd make a write up on how you can do it too! I found that Keystone wasn't much help. My dealer was absolutely no help, and the technical service at Dometic is absolutely useless. They weren't even aware that they manufactured the relay control box or the gateway. Unreal. I did find that ASA Electronics who makes the InCommand system, had very good customer service. I called twice and somebody answered immediately and both were very friendly and helpful on how to set up Dometic's products.

My trailer came with 50A service, a 15,000 BTU Dometic air conditioner, and prewired for a second one in the bedroom up front. Seems simple enough but a lot of new units like mine are coming with the InCommand control panel. If you have one of these panels and want to install a second AC, here is what you need to know!

I had to buy four items. A Dometic Brisk Air II 13,500 BTU air conditioner, a DUCTED Dometic air conditioner mounting kit, a Dometic relay control box, and a Dometic Gateway control box. The Gateway is what communicates with the InCommand panel and the relay control box for the air conditioner. The air conditioner and the mounting kit come with absolutely no instructions. The relay control comes with instructions for the thermostat that you don't need, and the gateway comes with some pretty useless instructions.

Here's the part numbers:
Air Conditioner - 381899 (I got a black one).
Mounting kit - 3105935.047
Relay control - 3316230.014 (This is actually a thermostat kit and comes with a digital thermostat. My dealer refunded me $50 for the thermostat since I didn't need it and just needed the relay control.
Gateway control - 3316945.021
The total price after taxes for all of this was $1,011. I also purchased some wire crimps from Lowes as well as some foil tape.

Air Conditioner

Mounting kit

Relay kit

Gateway RV-C kit
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
KC10Chief

I won't go into too much on how to install the air conditioner itself. It's pretty straight forward. You'll need to remove the vent where the air conditioner is going to go and get the air conditioner up on the roof! It's about 80 pounds or so. I leaned a ladder up against the side of the RV and left the air conditioner in the box and shoved it up the ladder as I went up too. There's probably a better way but I got it up there. The vent is sealed on real good as well as having about 20 screws holding it down. It's real easy to push that sealant around to get to the screws and remove them. Then peel up the vent. Remove the shroud on the inside of the vent from inside the RV. Four screws for me. Seal up the holes from the screws on top of the roof. I just used little blobs of sealant that were already up there. I didn't buy anything new. That stuff is super sticky and sticks to the rubber roof real easy. The air conditioner sits right on top of the hole. It is mounted from the inside with four long bolts that come in the mounting kit. Very simple.

Get the thing on the roof!

After the vent is removed. Plug those screw holes with extra little sealant blobs!

The air conditioner itself only has one thick six wire harness. Hang it right down into the hole when you set the air conditioner in place. The air conditioner has some thick foam seals on the bottom that fit around the hole. Later when you tighten everything down, they get compressed and seal the AC to the roof. I'd recommend saving that step for later, after you are done with the wiring!

Once you have the vent removed, you need to make sure the hole is ready. Mine has ducts that were covered with foil tape since the vent was there. They are rectangular, about an inch high, and on the aft side of the hole. Remove the tape covering them. The new foil tape I bought was good to retake the vents so that they are open and ready to go.

Next to my vent, was a white electrical panel looking thing with a warning sticker on it. This is where your power wire is for your AC. REMOVE POWER TO THE RV!!! Flip the breakers off for the air conditioning units!!! If you were to touch those wires on the back side of that panel and there was power to them, you could die. I never trust people doing wiring at an RV factory. Just unplug the entire RV and undo the negative battery cable on the battery to avoid damaging anything. Now, inside that white panel, there are FOUR things that you need! The first is the Romex power cable that is clamped into the white box itself. The white box had a grey cover that needed to come off. Once you have power removed from the RV and those wires are safe, pull them out of that white box. Save the white box later as you'll reinstall it back into the hole for aesthetics only. You also have a less thick yellow wire with a four pin plug on the end, a white wire with a two pin plug, and a green and white wire that on my RV, was just looped in there. It is powering lights or some other electrical device further down the line.

My next problem was that the white box had a wooden support and a sheet metal bulkhead in between the white box and the vent hole! WTF?!? I had to drill through these things. The biggest drill bit I had on hand was 5/8" so I drilled two holes for running those four wires into the vent hole. I did a lot of screaming and cursing as I tried to feed wires through these holes! This is how it looked when I was ready to start connecting wires. The front of the vent is the best place to bring the wires through. Note that the green and white wire is a loop. You will cut this in half later!

You can do this part without removing the top cover on the air conditioner itself. I did it so you can see it better. If you remove the top cover, there are four screws holding it on. Then you pull up the styrofoam cover and it comes right off exposing the heat exchanger. Notice in the photo how you can see right down in the RV from here. So, you can just reach up in this hole and insert the freeze warning wire. This shuts the AC off if the coil freezes up. It is the wire with the blue two pin plug on the end. You take the other end of that wire and just jam it right in the middle of the coil fins and let it hang. That's it. We'll plug that in later.

ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #3
KC10Chief

Now for connecting wires, I'm going to describe it with pictures. If you have an existing Dometic AC, pop the filter off and look up in there to see how it is wired. Once you get the filter off, you'll see a grey box held in by two screws. The grey box is the relay control. Mine had the gateway stuck on top of it with double sided tape. The stuff I bought came with double sided tape so I set up the relay control and gateway for the new air conditioner the exact same way. Go ahead and remove the two screws holding in the relay control on your existing air conditioner because you will need to make some small changes in here as well. Just let it all hang down. You will wire the front AC the exact same way. You need to make some changes on the gateway for the rear AC! Don't skip these steps!

When you remove the rear relay control and gateway, note the position of the dip switch. #2 switch should be in the ON position. Do NOT touch the dip switches on the existing AC gateway! On the right, notice that there is a little plug with a jumper on it. REMOVE IT AND DO NOT LOSE IT! Now, look up in the hole for the existing AC and there should be a yellow cable in there with a four pin plug on the end. This is only if your RV is pre-wired for a second AC! Pull that plug down, and plug it in to the same spot where you removed the jumper plug!

This is how the existing gateway looks when you remove it. Remove the jumper pin on the right!

Jumper plug. DO NOT LOSE IT!

Find this wire up in the existing AC return air hole!

Plug it in.

Now you're done making changes to the existing AC unit. Don't power anything on yet.

Get your new relay control box (grey box) and your new gateway (black rectangular box). Go ahead and stick them together exactly as shown, with the double sided tape that came with them. You can also connect some of the wires here while it's not hanging from the ceiling! The gateway comes with a three wire plug. Go ahead and plug it in. The relay control comes with a four wire plug. Some of the wires have labels. Go ahead and plug that one in as well. Take the red wire coming from the gateway plug, and connect it to the red wire with white stripe coming out of the relay control. That wire also has a label that says "+12V to T-stat". Now take the green wire coming out of the gateway, and connect it to the orange wire coming out of the relay control. I shortened these wires and crimped them together. Finally, on your new gateway, take dip switch #1 and move it up to the ON position. It should all look like this when you're ready to install it. Note that you still have three wires on this assembly to hook up.

The relay control has a cover on the opposite side with four screws. Remove the cover and there are three wires in there. White, black, and green. Feed the romex cable into the clamp on the side and inside the box. Match up and connect the rome's wires to the three wires inside the relay control. I did some screaming and cursing during this step. Get the romex in the right spot and tighten the clamp on the side of the relay control. Look at your existing one if you need to. Replace the cover on the relay control.

Now, you have a green and white wire loop that should be fed out of one of the holes you drilled. Cut this in half. You will need to splice it back together since it powers things further down the line. But you also need to splice in those other wires you have left! So, take your two white wires you have now, strip the ends off the insulation, and connect them together with the black wire from the gateway AND the black wire from the relay control! That's four wires connected together. Crimp it all together. Now take the two thick green wires, strip the insulation off the ends, and connect both of them with the solid red wire coming out of the relay control box. All of your wire connections are done! Now you just have to plug a few things in!

What you do with the green and white wires. Should match the existing AC.

Note that on your existing air conditioner's relay control, there are two wires going into these two slots. You do not need them on your new relay control. They are for the furnace.

Remember the little jumper plug you didn't lose? Plug it in here on your NEW AC gateway! Note that the dip switch #1 is in the ON position! Also take four pin plug and two pin plug that you fed into the vent hole, and plug them in to the gateway as shown here.

Remember the wire that you jammed into the AC coil? Plug the blue plug into the relay control as shown.

Finally, take the big plug from the air conditioner itself, and plug it into the side of the relay control! Wiring is done!

Now is a good time to test everything out before you bolt the air conditioner down. Reconnect the battery and plug the RV in to power. It will take a minute for the InCommand to power up. There is a delay for the AC to come on as well. Make sure you flip all of the breakers back on as well. Select the new AC in your HVAC menu. If you have a zone temperature, that's a good sign! Turn the AC on. It might take a minute to come on. Assuming it does, you're good to go!

Now, take the mounting kit and figure out how high you need to mount the plate that comes with it. There is double sided tape on it already to hold it in the right spot. I also used some foil tape and added the white insulation that came with it.
This is the mounting kit.

Put it up like this and use the four long black bolts to thread up into the AC itself. Real easy to do. Feel the thickness of the foam gaskets on the rear AC, and make the front one about the same. I'd guess that you can overdo it here.

Use these two screws to attach the relay control to the mounting kit.

Like so. Then mount the cover and snap in the filter. Done! My AC vents blew out a lot of saw dust.

Snap the filter in and replace that white box that held your wires. Its only purpose now is to cover up that hole. I think Keystone could have done a MUCH better job with where they put that prewiring kit. The drilling and feeding wires was a real PITA.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
KC10Chief

Here's a more brief summary if you want to print something out.
1. You need four things. AC, Mounting kit, relay control, and gateway.

2. Get AC on roof and remove vent. Place AC over vent hole. Final positioning of AC is best done from inside RV. Be careful not to damage your rubber roof!

3. Remove power to RV! Don't kill yourself! Flip off breakers too.

4. On the rear AC, remove the jumper plug on the gateway and plug in the extra plug that is in that hole to the spot where the jumper plug was. Save jumper plug.

4. Remove power to RV! Don't kill yourself! Flip off breakers.

5. Stick new gateway to new relay control just like it is on existing AC. Move dip switch #1 to ON position. Install jumper plug in right plug on gateway.

6. Wire up new gateway and relay control exactly as it is on rear AC with the exception of the furnace wires.

7. Plug in AC cable into relay control.

8. Bolt everything down.

9. If you had any power on, it MUST be cycled off for the InCommand to recognize the new AC. I don't know why. If you had all the power off, turn it back on. If you had to rewire something or forgot to flip dip switches, you'll need to cycle power to the RV after you've corrected this. Unplug from shore power and unplug the negative battery cable or use your battery disconnect switch if you have one. Don't forget to flip your breakers back on!
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:16 AM   #5
DanHebert

You are my hero. This is amazing
DanHebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:30 AM   #6
DocP

Excellent job and write-up. Thanks!
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:33 AM   #7
GeekSquadOfUn

This is exceptional, well done. You have a way with words and pics. ��

That being said.

Me thinks I'll put an $80 wall fan with remote instead ��
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:34 AM   #8
Gegrad

Awesome, completely thorough write up. Hopefully the mods will make this a sticky so it can be easily found for future reference.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:36 PM   #9
WPeeling

Suggestion ... to avoid some of the cursing

Instead of drilling through the bulkhead plunge cut a square hole with an oscillating tool. I use a Rockwell Sonicrafter. Might have to change from a wood blade to a metal blade to finish the cuts. Pull the wires through with a coat hanger.
WPeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
KC10Chief

Well, I'd recommend a drill honestly. Most people don't have a plunge cutter. I'd imagine a lot more have drills. A large drill bit isn't too expensive. Not to mention, this is an area built up to support the air conditioner. Something with sharp corners is more prone to cracking than a round hole.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
bray123

Thank you for taking the time to help us all out. I just purchased a new cougar xlite 28 sgs and I want to do a 2nd air conditioner and haven't been able to get much help. but I feel this will get me going. thanks again. amazing thread.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
Steve315RLS

Is it possible that dometic has changed the requirement for the gateway? It seems they no longer sell that specific item. I've looked on their page and at places like amazon. Everything else is available, just no gateway!
Does the control box have all the outlets equired that the gateway isnt needed anymore?
If you know!!
I've contacted domestic, bit haven't received a reply as of yet.
Thank you for a great help video. This saves me installation costs. Makes it easy to do myself.
Steve315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #13
KRumm

This is the only gateway I can find online...
https://rvpartsexpress.com/product/d...ay-cc-rv-c-20/

It’s model number is slightly different (Last number 0 instead on 1)...
Would this work?...

Also is there anything to do with the In-Command setup?... Or with the AC wired up will it just appear on the screen as a second AC?
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #14
Steve315RLS

once you have everything installed and wired, when you turn the power back on, it will reboot the in command, everything should be working at that point. when you go to the hvac control on your panel you should have a "left and right" arrow at the top <> like this. you switch from front to rear ac control with those. they will be controlled separately with the in command.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:55 AM   #15
Steve315RLS

that gateway should work also. the gateway is the unit that ties the in command controls to the ac control box you also need.
when I got mine 2 weeks ago, they said the manufacturer was changing the number. it's supposed to be the same one.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:46 AM   #16
bray123

Thank you for responding. Sorry it’s taken so long to reply. Been out of the country working. But I did have a dealer install the 2nd unit and it seems to be working very well. Headed out next week to give it a 2 week test. Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #17
Steve315RLS

My air conditioner is in and working perfectly!
Thank you for the instructions! perfect. made it so easy.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #18
Blupia

Im new to this forum. Glad i found it. We have a 2019 Cougar 29Res with only one unit looking to add the second unit.

Im so thankful for this post. Everyone ive talked to said it wasnt possible. I look forward to this project during this off season.

Im not able to see/view the images posted with this post. Receiving a page that says URL signature expired for each photo.

Anyway to get the photos? I think i can do without based on great write up but would like to have for references.

Thanks,
Blupia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #19
jimbob2

installing 2nd air

looking to install 2nd air 2019 32rli cougar do you have pictures I can not access them saying there expired also air unit you listed Dometic Brisk Air II 13,500 BTU air conditioner, I can't find number "381899" read your summery quite a few times mounting air unit sounds easy enough though hooking up with in command may be a challenge looks like you spent around $1000 for parts did you ever get estimate from dealer
thanks JIM
jimbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #20
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blupia View Post
Im new to this forum. Glad i found it. We have a 2019 Cougar 29Res with only one unit looking to add the second unit.

Im so thankful for this post. Everyone ive talked to said it wasnt possible. I look forward to this project during this off season.

Im not able to see/view the images posted with this post. Receiving a page that says URL signature expired for each photo.

Anyway to get the photos? I think i can do without based on great write up but would like to have for references.

Thanks,
KCChief hasn't been on since 6/20/19.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner