Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
RebandMeme

Question Landing gear and slide outs won't work

After being left on our property for a few months, my husband decided to bring our rv back to our home. Mid way through the front jacks stopped working. Once he got it home, the front jacks, the slide outs, and the front lights wont' work. I have changed the 40 amp fuses in the fuse box and made sure there was enough water in the battery. The battery has been on charge over night. Is there a reset switch that can be reset? Does anyone have any suggestions at to what it might be. The test light shows the battery fully charged. It is very frustrating because is the camper is brand new.

Thanks
RebandMeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Bob Landry

What kind of test light shows percent of charge on a battery? I would do a good charge on the battery, let it "rest" for a day and then get a shop or autoparts store to load test it.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebandMeme View Post
After being left on our property for a few months, my husband decided to bring our rv back to our home. Mid way through the front jacks stopped working. Once he got it home, the front jacks, the slide outs, and the front lights wont' work. I have changed the 40 amp fuses in the fuse box and made sure there was enough water in the battery. The battery has been on charge over night. Is there a reset switch that can be reset? Does anyone have any suggestions at to what it might be. The test light shows the battery fully charged. It is very frustrating because is the camper is brand new.

Thanks
Were the 40 amp fuses blown???? The lights should be on a different circuit???? Using the slide or jack motors without a fully charged battery can damage them. There should be an in-line fuse near the landing gear also. (check that) Your battery may have a bad cell (if it was not fully charged and exposed to freezing temps) It may read 12v but drop off under a load as Bob mentioned above. It is a process of elimination starting with the condition of the battery. Good luck and let us know how you make out, Hank ....... Welcome to the forum.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
Jim W

Sorry for your issue with the camper. When raising the front legs did you have the truck connected to the 5er and running with the electrical cord, when trying to raise the legs? Did the battery sit in the camper when the 5er was in storage connected to the camper wiring? When in storage the battery should be disconnected, if not it will lose the stored energy in it. The battery is being drained by the electronics that are still using the 12V electrical power. Such as the Carbon monoxide detector, the LP gas detector and the entertainment display.

When we bought our first 5er the dealer instructed me that you should never rely on the coach battery to power the front legs motor and the motor for the slides. He instructed me to use either the truck battery with the engine running and the camper connected to the truck or shore power. This will insure that you are getting the full amperage to the motors as required. As they will require higher amperage rating then just the coach battery can supply when operated.

I would connect the shore power to the camper or connect the truck to the camper with the engine running. This will insure that you get full amperage to the motors and see if everything works correctly for you.

If not then you should look for damage wiring to the motors and or a failed inline fuse by the motors. These will need to be repaired. Also you may need to have the motors inspected to see if they were damage from low amperage being supplied to them. To resolve this issue.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Moki

No one has mentioned checking and cleaning the battery terminals. Setting in storage for a time can result in a black hard coating to develop on the terminals and cable connectors. Scrape, sand, wire brush, to make sure connections and clean and bright. Coatings like this can even prevent vehicles from starting.
Moki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
RebandMeme

Battery

All the fused have been checked including the in line fuse. My husband checked the battery it is not the battery and it is fully charged so i guess it is back to the dealer whenever we can get it there. Very frustrating!!!! Is there not a reset switch some where that will reset the system. I have checked all the GFI except for theone in the back because I can't get to it....

Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate. Will update when we find out what the issue is.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Handysam

What kind of camper is it, year and make? TT or Fiver?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
dea3851

No power

Hi make sure you check main battery cables were the wires are crimped to the ring terminals found mine very loose and pulled one off with my hand, just a thought Don
dea3851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
RebandMeme

it was the remote resistor

It was the remote resister on the converter! How weird is that... Thanks guys for all the input. Now we gotta take it in because the won't just sell us the parts from the dealer!!!