Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
johnmk

Awning

I have a 2005 Cougar 5th wheel that I love. The one problem that I have encounter is the awning is beginning to crack next to the roof. Is there anything I can put on the awning to stop the cracking. I have not put any thing other than awning cleaner on the it. Any help would be appreciated.
johnmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
KanTC

Post Re: Awning

Welcome to the forum johnmk,

The hot/cold temps (& direct sunlight) will weather the exposed awning fabric/vinyl over time - especially in the spot that you mentioned.

Depending on the amount of area needing repair - there's a product called 'awning repair tape', which might buy you some time (so to speak), but we've never used it so I can't offer first-hand experience. Here's one example: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...air-tape/31349

Google the words 'rv awning repair' -- there's several websites & even some youtube videos that may be helpful to you. Here's one example of a "how to" article:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4615648_repa...rv-awning.html

Hope this helps, & happy camping!

Terri [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Bowline

Protective Cover

I'm a sailor as well as an RVer, and I know from bitter experience how much damage UV and water can do over time to vinyls, fabrics and fiberglass. One solution to vinyl awning deterioration is to completely cover it up when it's rolled up next to the RV. I found a great cover that is comprised of a plastic tube that has a one inch gap along its length, and comes in 4 foot long sections. You spread out the gap, slide it over your rolled awning, and then put on the next section, overlapping 2 inches over the first one. You keep adding sections until your awning is completely covered. The material is UV resistant, and comes with a 15 year warranty. It should stop UV and weather-related deterioration dead in its tracks! The product is called Awning Pro-Tech, and can be viewed on-line at awningpro-tech.com. Also I protect all of the external plastic parts of my RV with 303 Protectant. The stuff really works - just re-apply every 45 to 60 days.

I have been concerned about UV-caused deterioration of my window coverings and interior furnishings. I purchased cheap reflective windshield covers designed for cars, and then cut and taped them to the exact dimensions of my windows. I inserted them between the windows and the blinds. Now I don't have to worry about my blinds being ruined by the intense summer sunlight here in Redding, CA. A great solution to all of these problems is a Tyvek RV cover. I purchased one which lasted exactly 2 weeks before being destroyed by high winds. Of course, the warranty excludes wind damage.
Bowline is offline   Reply With Quote