Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
trooper253

Sensor Lights

The sensor lights in my black tank on my Hornet show 2/3 full, eventhough I dumped it. Is there any way to fix this?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
66ken

The next time you pull it, fill your tank about half way and add a bag of ice to the tank. The movement of the ice will clean the tank and sensor.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The sensor gauges, especially the black and gray tanks, often will give you incorrect readings. The "remedy" mentioned in the above post will sometimes work to clean off the terminals and walls. If you have a back flush feature for your black tank, have you used this?

After you empty your tank, you might try pouring in a bucket or two of water down the toilet so that there is some liquid left in the tank to prevent it from drying out. When you are driving home from the campground, the liquid sloshing around in the tank will help keep it cleaner. When I think of it, I sometimes add some Calgon water softener to the bucket. This apparently leaves a slippery coating to the tank walls/bottom which helps reduce buildup of crud along these walls.

Having done all of these things, I still get false readings!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
campingcpl

A couple of other idea's. Fill the tank to about 1/3rd to 1/2 full and put about a 1/2 cup of Dawn dish soap in the tank and then pull the trailer. Another idea if you plan on having the trailer sitting unused for awhile is to fill the the tank and then add a good quality tank chemical such as Thetford Aqua-Kem products, or CamcoRv TST products and there are various other products on the market. Just make sure it has some type of active enzymes in it to help break down the solids. Just let it sit for a couple of weeks then drain the tank and then flush the tank.

I personally use the CamcoRv TST products and have had really good luck with them when it comes to breaking down waste and controlling odor. When I put my camper away for the winter I will put a couple of gallons of water in the tank and add some antifreeze and a bottle of the TST tank treatment. In the spring I empty and flush the tank and I have no problems with false gauge readings or odors.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote