Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
fla2ri

Passport 199ML feedback

I'm very interested in the Passport Express 199ML. Any feedback from current owners would be appreciated. What's your tow vehicle? I have a 2010 Toyota 4Runner with a tow rating at 5,000 lbs; I plan on using a WDH and prodigy.
fla2ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:39 AM   #2
Flyguy

I think you would be ok with that, the Express line of Passport is very light, but there would be no abundance of power and you have to realize that your gas mileage will be a lot less towing.

199ML Specifications
Shipping Weight 3556
Carrying Capacity 2366
Hitch 322

While the GVW is 5922# I doubt that you will load anywhere close to 2366#s of stuff (including LP and any liquids) but you will be at the upper limits of your 4runner's tow capacity. If it will make you feel any better, I once towed my Passport 280BH (GVW 6040#s) with a Toyota Tacoma pre-runner V6 which also had a tow capacity of 5000#'s, it had a 190hp v6, TRD made a supercharger for that engine which I bought from the dealer and had him install it and it boosted the power to 260hp and the tow capacity to 6500lbs, the only downside was that I had to now buy 93 octane fuel but it was worth it because it turned that engine into a real animal!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
twoclaws

We too were interested in the 199ML. Drove 170 somemiles to see the nearest one.
After visiting we nixed it from our list -- 18" slide out, long portable table that would have to be handled frequently (storage), and the jack knife couch was not very substantial should it have to be used to sleep on. Now considering 195RB. 3' longer to pull than 199ML, Wt about 400 lbs more, cargo cap. a tad less, tank capacities same.
A few more amenities such as an enclosed shower vs curtains. Same walk around bed. Dinette instead of couch and fold up table. Prices are comparible. Do some shopping.
Please Read Flyguy's posting in the General Catagory on the main menu. There are improvements IMO in the 2011 vs 2010 that may prevent problems down the road. Questions please contact me.
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
fla2ri

Thank you for your replies. We bought the new 2010 4Runner with the intention of buying a popup. When we looked at the popups, we discovered the hybrids, wow, a lot less work! Now we're thinking we don't want to mess with canvas and would prefer a permanent queen bed set up, so we're looking at lightweight travel trailers! In retrospect, I should have bought the trailer first and then a tow vehicle to match, big mistake.

We are down to the Passort 199ml, Gulfstream Visa, Heartland mpg or edge, or back to a hybrid (our favorite is the Jayco 19H). If you know of anything else I should consider, please reply. I'm trying to stay 18-22' long, under 5,000 GVW, 300-450 lb tongue weight max.

Thanks
fla2ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
ftwildernessguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla2ri View Post
Thank you for your replies. We bought the new 2010 4Runner with the intention of buying a popup. When we looked at the popups, we discovered the hybrids, wow, a lot less work! Now we're thinking we don't want to mess with canvas and would prefer a permanent queen bed set up, so we're looking at lightweight travel trailers! In retrospect, I should have bought the trailer first and then a tow vehicle to match, big mistake.

We are down to the Passort 199ml, Gulfstream Visa, Heartland mpg or edge, or back to a hybrid (our favorite is the Jayco 19H). If you know of anything else I should consider, please reply. I'm trying to stay 18-22' long, under 5,000 GVW, 300-450 lb tongue weight max.

Thanks
Your experience is typical re. buying the tow vehicle and finding out you want a bigger trailer than it can handle. Now whenever I buy a new truck, I buy bigger than I think I will need. In the long run, I think I have saved a few bucks when it has come time to upgrade the TT, since I don't need a new tow vehicle at the same time.

Re. hybrids - we had a Jayco Kiwi 21c for many years and pulled it thousands of miles. It was a great trailer and very comfortable. Much easier to set up than the popups we had prior. As I have gotten older, I am less interested in setting up camp and more interested in relaxing with a beer, so we upgraded last year to the Outback.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:47 AM   #6
PJBurns

I bought a 2010 Passport 199ml in June. One of the first changes I had to make was purchasing a new mattress for the short queen bed. But I had to do the same for my previous trailer, a' Sunnybrook. As another replier said, the couch also seems overly soft, and I wonder how durable it will be. Maybe most manufacturers save costs at the expense of bedding quality?
My tow vehicle is a Ford Expedition, so I have no problems there.
PJBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
winged one

Thumbs up

We purchased a 2010 199ML in November of 2009. We have used it 3 times so far this year (TV not TT issues). We have had no major issues.

The inside fit and finish is very, very good. There were some issues with caulking holes underneith so check for that on any one you buy and make sure the dealer is a good one that will take care of little issues.

Everything has worked well (TV, DVD/radio, A/C, awning, Microwave, Fridge, stove, bath, sinks, etc).

We looked at comparable trailers in the 16 to 20 foot range, like you, to keep within 5000 lbs (we are using a 1969 T-bird as a TV) including:
Rockwood Mini Lite
Cikira
Coyote Lite
Palomino Gazelle
Coachmen M-Series
Dutchman Zoom
Gulfstream
Fun Finder X
Shadow Cruiser
R-Vision Trail-lite
Sun Valley Roadrunner

I found the only trailer to be on par, as far as quality of material, was the Fun Finder. But we preferred the wood look to the white-out inside the Fun Finder. Our trailer has a nice big frame and is all aluminum construction (may have changed by now).

I made a Excel document of all the trailers we were comparing, and the most positives with the least negatives (for our camping lifestyle) was the 199ML.

Plus the outside storage, extra compartment lights, etc really make this a loaded up trailer. The storage is increadable. I remember those tiny holes for storage in the Jayco or the non-pass through storage in other trailers (the Rockwood had NO outside storage) and am very glad for what I have.

There are only 2 of us, so a second bed was not an issue. I am not a light guy and the couch has been very comfortable for long term sittin. We were stuck inside the trailer over much of this last weekend, and I never felt claustophobic.

The lack of counter space was fixed with a folding stove cover/backsplash, and a sink cover (right from Keystone for $25 or so).

The bed is an issue. We have tried 4 inch foam and memory foam, but my back is not happy in the morning. We will probably get a new mattress.

Our last RV was a 28ft Jayco 5th that we sold in 2002. That was a good trailer too.

I am going to make a statement on hybrids that will probably get me in trouble. Check online for complaints regarding any make and model. When we were searching for a trailer, we were looking at used first. We found many, many hybrids with leaking problems inside where the canvas attaches. We could not figure out why. These were from manufacturers that have made pop ups for decades without problems (Starcraft, Jayco, etc) and they certainly should know how to make a hybrid that doesn't leak. All I can tell you is what I saw.

On the other hand, I have seen many at campgrounds, and they sell well, so I hope they are not having problems. Just really research leaks on hybrids.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
winged one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
winged one

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBurns View Post
I bought a 2010 Passport 199ml in June. One of the first changes I had to make was purchasing a new mattress for the short queen bed. But I had to do the same for my previous trailer, a' Sunnybrook. As another replier said, the couch also seems overly soft, and I wonder how durable it will be. Maybe most manufacturers save costs at the expense of bedding quality?
My tow vehicle is a Ford Expedition, so I have no problems there.
What brand of bed did you get (I assumed you like it)?

Thanks!!
winged one is offline   Reply With Quote