Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
BigOakBuilder

Manual a little vague on Tire Change

The owners manual for the springdale 2011 294 is a little vague on how to raise the trailer to change a tire. It did however note the jack should be located on the frame. I just bought a 2-ton floor jack and it seems like it would work best on the axle next to the u-bolts, will that damage the axle? The frame is about 2 feet high and that makes it difficult to get a jack that high and seems dangerous too. Any help would be appreciated.
BigOakBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Flyguy

I have the same problem. the manual says to jack from the frame but I don't have a jack that will do that! I picture myself at roadside changing a tire and know that I don't have room to carry a jack that will do the job. When I change tires I use a bottle jack from the TV and I jack from the bottom of the equalizer in the middle and in line with the hanger bolt and I've not had any problems, I don't jack from the axle though. Works for me.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
BigOakBuilder

I'm not sure what the "equalizer" is but I'll take a look, I've got a bottle jack too. FYI, the floor jack I got at a car parts store and is only 19 lbs and cost $35 and rises a little higher than the bottle jack.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Flyguy

The equalizer is the piece that connects the two springs for each axle. I use a piece of wood to lay down on the ground and set the Tundra's jack on that and it just fits under the equalizer.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
BigOakBuilder

Thanks FlyGuy!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
Handysam

Something else you could try is to use the orange blocks (if you have them) to raise the wheels. While still hitched to the truck, loosen the lugs on the bad wheel, roll the truck up onto the orange blocks just to get the flat off the ground, chock the other wheels and change the tire. Worked for me a couple of times, hope this helps. Happy Camping, Sam
Handysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:57 AM   #7
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOakBuilder View Post
The owners manual for the springdale 2011 294 is a little vague on how to raise the trailer to change a tire. It did however note the jack should be located on the frame. I just bought a 2-ton floor jack and it seems like it would work best on the axle next to the u-bolts, will that damage the axle? The frame is about 2 feet high and that makes it difficult to get a jack that high and seems dangerous too. Any help would be appreciated.
I do not know if your trailer has Dexter Axles or not but, Dexter caution you not to use the axle to raise the camper. This could damage the axle if you use a jack under the axle. See the maintenance manual attached and the caution is on page 2. http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/1080235/f/...rings_9-10.pdf

I carry and use a product called;Trailer Aid to raise the trailer when I need to change out a tire do to a flat. See attach link. http://www.trailer-parts-forless.com...r_aid_jack.htm

If I need to service the wheel bearings then I use two bottle jacks. I will raise the frame and suspension for the axles with the two bottle jacks. I will then block the frame up with heavy duty axle stands and will then service the wheel bearings.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
rjsurfer

I place the bottle jack under bottom leaf spring as close to the axle as I can.

Works great for me. You could probably raise it using the axle if you get it real close to the U bolts, further away and you might just bend the axle tube.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
BigOakBuilder

Thanks Gents, I called Holiday World in Katy and the service tech thought that the jack could damage the axle so he said raise up the jack with blocks and place it on the frame. Thanks again for the discussion.