Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2022, 10:29 PM   #1
Txclutch93

02 keystone Springdale leak on fresh water fill

I just got an 02 keystone Springdale, 5th wheel today, I went to go fill up the fresh water tank and water was just gushing out as fast as it was going in. I haven't had a chance to look underneath it yet because of rainy weather and no lighting, what can I expect under there? Is there some insulation blocking the access to the filler neck, or is it easily accessible? The tank shows to be 1/4 way full, verified by using the pump without city water hook up, so I'm going to rule out a cracked water tank. Just trying to get some insight on what I'm going to face when I get a chance to look underneath it. I'm suspecting either the filler neck is broken, or unattached, and the outside shower set up wasn't working when I hooked up city water supply. Thank you for any help on this.
Txclutch93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:36 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Is your fresh water tank drain closed?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:57 AM   #3
Txclutch93

I would assume the drain is closed due to the fact that there is some water in the tank. Where is the drain located? It it a plug, a valve? I'll be able to tinker with it this weekend
Old 11-24-2022, 07:42 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txclutch93 View Post
I would assume the drain is closed due to the fact that there is some water in the tank. Where is the drain located? It it a plug, a valve? I'll be able to tinker with it this weekend
Tank drains are tubes hanging down under the camper; the tube will be under the fresh water tank. Some have valves and others plugs.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:15 AM   #5
travelin texans

Slow the flow to just more than a trickle & see if it still runs out.
My last 5er in their infinite wisdom plumbed the tank in a loop to the underneath rather than 5he little screened opening next to the fill port, once it got filled to a point it would start to siphon draining all but about a 1/4 of a tank. I added a valve to that vent that had to be opened when filling then closed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:16 PM   #6
Txclutch93

Got underneath it for the brief time we had without rain, and saw the valve mentioned above, I turned it both directions, and nothing came out, I attempted to fill the fresh water tank again, first at barely more than a trickle, then a little more pressure, and it still leaked, not sure what the issue could be there, it's fine with city water hooked up, and still shows to have 1/4 in the fresh water tank. I'll have to tinker with it when the weather clears up, I have to fix a small crack and re-seal the dome above the tub/shower, so that's priority.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:37 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txclutch93 View Post
I just got an 02 keystone Springdale, 5th wheel today, I went to go fill up the fresh water tank and water was just gushing out as fast as it was going in...
If this is a "new to you, not previously verified serviceable" fifth wheel, with the freezing weather last year, I'd guess the fresh water tank had some water in it during the freeze, the water froze, expanded and cracked the tank.

Fortunately, with early model Springdale trailers, there's no coroplast belly cover, so you can visualize the bottom of the gray and black tanks. The fresh water tank is "inside the trailer, so locate it, and see if there's any way to inspect all sides, top and bottom. I'd suspect that the tank is split, probably at a fitting, either the vent port, the fill tube port or the pump feed port.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, leak, springdale, water