Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #1
Wereynolds

2018 cougar 310RLS

Like many others, I'm needing help (especially from another owner of same unit). I've been having problems with Ground Control 3.0. Front jack errors every other time we camp. Each time we have gotten through it with the help of Lippert Tech. Finally had enough. Got another Lippert Tech involved to try and resolve this issue. We could have 12.6 at the battery as well as at the controller but as soon as I start raising the front, voltage drops to low 11 and then into the high 10s. Definitely not good. The tech ruled out the controller being bad. I took the brand new battery back to store and had it load tested and it was good. I undid the ground in the battery compartment and used grinder to get down to bare metal just to make sure the ground was good. Still the same results. The tech believes I have a ground issue because the system has worked properly on several occasions. I'm hoping someone with a similar unit (stock) can post a few pics of their battery wiring. Mine has two 50a breakers in that compartment. I'm only assuming its the configuration from the factory. I called Keystone today hoping they might have a tech line that could tell me anything about the ground(s) on this unit but the customer service rep said they couldn't help. If this is a ground issue I have no idea where to look or what to do. I'm going to try and get the unit raised up tomorrow just to see if there may possibly be something wrong with the jack itself (maybe its binding). Sadly, I'm trying really hard not to take it in to the local big box store.
2022 Chevy 3500 dmax SRW LB
Wereynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:34 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

How are you "camping"? In the woods in unimproved sites? Does it happen when trying to release from the truck and getting high enough to clear the hitch? Specifics on what is happening when you are doing xxx is very helpful. The "problems" need to be specified.

The electric system WILL overload and it will start throwing errors if you get it "out of sorts"; overextend etc. Your voltages may or may not be OK as I've never looked at mine....just keep new, maintained ones. When you try to raise the front the amps (current) increases due to the load and the volts you see will drop.

When mine decides it is under duress it shows me a error on the LF jack generally. If the back jacks are up I extend them 5-6" then hit retract all until it goes into auto retract. Good to go until the next time I "blow its mind" and repeat the process.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:44 PM   #3
jasin1

i would have two batteries not just one ..or two 6 volt batteries for one large 12 volt bank
Old 11-21-2022, 05:39 PM   #4
Wereynolds

We always camp at full hookup campgrounds with level lots. The times its gotten jack error I wasn't even close to being out of stroke. I know its supposed to start the auto level process a little nose high so I do. I run the system on just the battery and not hooked into shore power. It will usually get most of the way through the auto level process and then the error hits. There have been two times that the one jack would just completely stop and the other would keep going. I know the 2 six volt battery deal seems to be the way to go, but shouldn't one deep cycle 12v work?
2022 Chevy 3500 dmax SRW LB
Wereynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:03 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I have 12vdc Interstate "hybrid" batteries. They are not enough to operate the leveling system on their own...it pulls too much power. I never do a full disconnect/setup unless I'm connected to shore power of some kind. I would think about it with 2 6vdc batteries but trying to run the leveling system, disconnect (pulling off the ball etc.) is too much to expect of a single 12vdc battery IMO. You may have found your problem....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar