Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2022, 08:03 AM   #1
rice_cougar27res

Batteries not charging while plugged into Shore Power

Question:
What would cause the batteries not to charge while plugged into shore power?

After purchasing new batteries 3 months ago, they are not charging when plugged into shore power:
First thing I noticed on our last trip 2 weeks ago:
1) water heater would not heat water when plugged into shore power when set to "Elec".
2) When switched to "gas", water heated quickly. (we ran off propane rest of the week)
After parking for 1 week, we plugged in the shore power to run the refrigerator (we were leaving for another trip this week) When we noticed there was no power in the coach, I checked the Battery Disconnect. It had inadvertently been rotated 25 degrees off of the "on" location. probably a plastic bin I have in storage that hit it.
1) There was no power for low voltage
2) Plugged into shore power RV did have power to run microway, but InCommand panel was not powering up nor did we have any other low voltage power in the RV
3) Batteries were tested and are completely drained
4) Replaced batteries. Power in coach in now normal.
5) Tested at fuse box and we are getting power to the converter

Any chance the Converter went bad? How can you tell if its gone bad? My rig is only 2.5 years old.
rice_cougar27res is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
DonP

I have a similar but not the situation, solar is keeping the batteries charged but not the converter. Big difference, I have ice crystals in some of the battery cells, I also had a failed ground wire connecting the batteries together. I changed the wire but now I think that it caused the converter to fail.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:40 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
I have a similar but not the situation, solar is keeping the batteries charged but not the converter. Big difference, I have ice crystals in some of the battery cells, I also had a failed ground wire connecting the batteries together. I changed the wire but now I think that it caused the converter to fail.
Don, this thread will likely get confusing enough based on the OP's issues so perhaps if you started a separate thread things will be less complicated.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_cougar27res View Post
Question:
What would cause the batteries not to charge while plugged into shore power?

After purchasing new batteries 3 months ago, they are not charging when plugged into shore power:
First thing I noticed on our last trip 2 weeks ago:
1) water heater would not heat water when plugged into shore power when set to "Elec".
2) When switched to "gas", water heated quickly. (we ran off propane rest of the week)
After parking for 1 week, we plugged in the shore power to run the refrigerator (we were leaving for another trip this week) When we noticed there was no power in the coach, I checked the Battery Disconnect. It had inadvertently been rotated 25 degrees off of the "on" location. probably a plastic bin I have in storage that hit it.
1) There was no power for low voltage
2) Plugged into shore power RV did have power to run microway, but InCommand panel was not powering up nor did we have any other low voltage power in the RV
3) Batteries were tested and are completely drained
4) Replaced batteries. Power in coach in now normal.
5) Tested at fuse box and we are getting power to the converter

Any chance the Converter went bad? How can you tell if its gone bad? My rig is only 2.5 years old.
Your issues are sort of all over the place. First, if the new batteries are not charging when plugged into shore power then either they are wired wrong, the reverse polarity fuses were blown or the converter bad.

The batteries, converter, etc. are 12V DC related. You would have issues with lights and such. If you have lights of normal intensity, then the reverse polarity fuses would be suspect or maybe battery wiring.

Other issues are 120V AC related. Not sure which water heater you have. The heating element on the water heater is 120V AC and there is a breaker for that appliance and on my camper there is a rocker switch that is hard to see under the bottom left on the outside. If your 120V to the heating element actuates from a switch on the inside of your camper (ELEC) then perhaps you left power on when the tank was dried and the heating element fried. It would need to be replaced.

Your final question was whether your converter is bad. Since you are now normally plugged into A/C and have your battery disconnect in the right orientation, let the batteries charge for a few hours and then retest them. If they don't show the batteries are charging, check your reverse polarity fuses.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #5
DonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Don, this thread will likely get confusing enough based on the OP's issues so perhaps if you started a separate thread things will be less complicated.
I already did, this was just informational sorry.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:56 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
I already did, this was just informational sorry.
Nothing to be sorry about. Your question had a solar component which is not the OP's issue. Hope you get your issue resolved soonest.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:04 PM   #7
rice_cougar27res

so if we are hooked up to city water, won't that fill the water tank when heated water is required? or do we have to have water in the reserve tank?
rice_cougar27res is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:23 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_cougar27res View Post
so if we are hooked up to city water, won't that fill the water tank when heated water is required? or do we have to have water in the reserve tank?
Your water heater fills with water IF the winterizing bypass valve is turned in the correct direction; if not, the tank won't fill. Check to see what water heater manufacturer you have and the model. You can do t his by opening the outside door; there will be a tag somewhere behind the door. Since the water coming out of your hot water spigots is warm/hot on gas, knowing the model of your hot water heater will indicate what to do next.

Tags
power