Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2022, 10:28 AM   #1
Patchwork Farms

Outback 342 CG Toy Hauler Furnace Issue

This is my current predicament. The history is as follows:
The heat was not kicking on in my travel trailer so I tried adjusting the thermostat temp up. That did nothing. I went outside and opened the side access panel which exposes the back of the furnace. What I found was 3 or 4 groups of wire junctions that were simply secured with black electrical tape ONLY. I grabbed them one at a time and sorta wiggled and pinched them. Then the system made contact and started. I didn't have any wire nuts to properly secure them so I left it be for the time being. In doing so in this manner, a couple of the smaller wires had fallen loose and I have no way to know which one goes where. I looked at the wiring diagram for the furnace that came with the trailer but I'm not really an electrician and I don't want to screw this up.
The attached pictures I took this morning simply to show you where it stands currently. There are (2) blue wires marked Thermostat. (1) red wire marked +24 VDC. (1) Red wire with white stripe. (1) white wire. (1) black wire with white stripe (probably is -24 VDC I'd guess).
As you can see, I acquired a few wire nuts and twisted some of them on. The connections are most likely wrong. Can somebody please advise me exactly which wires get connected together?
Thank you very much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	42321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	42322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	42323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 4.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	42324  
Patchwork Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:29 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Pics look like the back of the fridge.

Furnace will have 4 wires:

12V positive
12V negative
2 thermostat wires.

You should have 4 wires coming from the trailer:
12V positive- probably white with a colored tracer
12V negative- probably solid white
2 thermostat wires- could be another pair like the power/ ground or could be small thermostat wire.

Use a Volt/ohm meter to verify the 12V supply and connect to furnace. Then locate the 2 thermostat wires and connect to the 2 blue wires from the furnace. You should have 4 separate connections.

That should do it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, outback, toy hauler