Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #1
mike95776

solar battery charging always on...?

If I have solar panels, can I leave my batteries on when in storage?

I have two, 100 watt panels on my TT and battery disconnects on both of my batteries....I currently turn off both batteries when we are not using the trailer and turn them on the day before we hit the road. The batteries hold their charge well and are usually at 11.8 volts when I take it our of storage.

We usually pick up the TT a day before we hit the road and I turn on the batteries before bring it out of storage. The solar panels fully top off the batteries in less than a day.

Here's the problem...This summer the trailer got up to 120 degrees inside (with two windows open and the the roof vent open.) I would really like to leave the roof vent fan on full time or, at least put it on a thermostat. but... that would require that I leave the batteries on.... I am sure that the solar panels will run the fan and keep the batteries charged but I have heard stories of the solar controller malfunctioning and over charging the batteries....

Your thoughts...?

PS I wish there was a "Solar Forum"
mike95776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #2
fjr vfr

My batteries have been connected all year, but it's probably better to disconnect. Remember to disconnect your solar panels first before the batteries. You can damage the charge controllers if they're connected to the panels with no battery voltage. Re-connect the batteries first before connecting the panels. The charge controllers want to sync to the battery voltage before receiving a charge current. At least that's what all the instructions say.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:56 PM   #3
fjr vfr

Oh yeah, answers all your questions.
https://diysolarforum.com/
Old 09-27-2022, 04:55 AM   #4
markcee

Definitely a good idea to keep them charging, regardless. 11.8v is approximately a 35% state of charge. It's my understanding that letting them routinely go down that low risks damage and shortens their life.

markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:08 AM   #5
fjr vfr

Let’s clarify something Are these lithium batteries or lead acid batteries? If they are lead acid you are right they should stay charging If they are lithium that’s a different story
Old 09-28-2022, 06:50 AM   #6
mike95776

Good question....The Batteries are lead acid....
mike95776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:04 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike95776 View Post
Good question....The Batteries are lead acid....
Lead acid batteries, if left connected to any charging source (solar, converter/charger or free standing charger) should be checked for electrolyte level frequently. If you don't, you may damage them if the electrolyte level falls below the top of the plates.

Any battery, Lithium or Lead Acid, if left connected to the RV system and not connected to a charger, will discharge to "0 volts" in as little as 4 or 5 days. When that happens, battery damage to L/A batteries can/will occur. Plus, once the L/A battery is discharged, it will freeze and potentially crack the case or deform the plates rendering the battery inoperable.

It doesn't matter which "charging source is used", L/A batteries on a charger require frequent checks through the storage.

Lithium and L/A batteries will discharge if left connected without charging.

So, in storage, expect to do frequent checks to the batteries or disconnect them from the RV systems. If it's going to be "prolonged storage" (winter storage, etc) I'd recommend removing them from the RV and putting them somewhere that is easier to access for those frequent checks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:49 AM   #8
Hblick48

I have two 100 watt solar panels, an MPPT charge controller, and 4 golf cart 6 volt batteries. I leave it connected 24-7-365 with no issues. I do have a battery disconnect between the batteries and the rigs power center. The charge controller conditions the batteries and keeps them charged. My batteries are over 4 years old and work as new. I check the water level once a month.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:59 AM   #9
hxckidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I have two 100 watt solar panels, an MPPT charge controller, and 4 golf cart 6 volt batteries. I leave it connected 24-7-365 with no issues. I do have a battery disconnect between the batteries and the rigs power center. The charge controller conditions the batteries and keeps them charged. My batteries are over 4 years old and work as new. I check the water level once a month.
I 2nd this, pretty similar to what I do as well except i dont have 6 volt batteries. I have 3 trailers I have run this way for the last few years without issue.
2011 F150
hxckidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:44 PM   #10
MrRobalo

I have dual batteries on my camper and boat and am wanting to know will 1-100 watt solar panel fully charge both batteries in a week. As they sit next to each other and would just swap out the panel when needed. Only need them whale at our storage compound with no electrical and both have 110 volt chargers built in. Also there group 27 Deep Cycle and have battery selector switches to disconnect the power after the solar charger.
MrRobalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:36 AM   #11
hxckidd

Yea it should. My 100 watt keeps 1 batter topped off each day with light load of stereo and lights in the trailer and occasional tv for the kid, we do 5 days on this no problem. So a week for 2 batteries i dont see an issue.
2011 F150
hxckidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar